Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2007, 12:49 PM   #41

coldshot wrote:
Quote:
DKCN wrote:
Quote:
@coldshot

maybe there is something you don't like about you're camera? I kinda don't believe it's so perfect that you can find nothing wrong with it =P
You don't need to tell me any camera is perfect as wellasa $10,000 camera. I jumped in because others claim the Alpha is better than the XTI in what way where they don't even own the camera, I pointed out the differences between the two no more and no less, the spec of both camera is there, the Canon camera design is there nothing is hidden from past history to today, the popularity is there at the store, you want to test any lens you want to buy they have them more than others. I don't tell you which camera to buy, it's your money, not mine.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography.../eos/index.htm
Chill dude, i wasn't being sarcastic when i asked what you did not like about your Rebel. I was really asking.

Which i don't think was quite answered though =/

Quote:
I jumped in because others claim the Alpha is better than the XTI in what way where they don't even own the camera

I'm just guessing, but do you have an alpha as well? I'm guessing since you hate it so much, that you've never owned one, so, maybe you can't say the rebel is better too?

But hey, what's yours is yours. Peace.
DKCN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 7:29 PM   #42

Coldshot, both cameras are rated at being able to shoot 3fps so i really don't know why you're getting all huffy puffy over this. You're acting somewhat defensive in the sense that it seems you're threatened that anyone would ever dare to compare the Alpha with your beloved XTi. In my experience, a good photo is about 10% the doing of the camera and 90% the artistry in composing the shot.

As I noted, the XTi is a bit too light for my liking, but i know many people who swear by the canon system (including coldshot, haha). I have the Alpha, but it was a prize (if i had been buying, i would have gotten a Nikon D50 i think). Nevertheless, the Alpha has served me very well as my first DSLR and I will continue to purchase from the Sony line (despite my distaste for that company's other business practices). In terms of ergonomics, I go 100% in favour of the A100.

Seriously, DKCN, you should go to a camera shop and try out both. There are more than likely enough lenses in the Sony system (and old Minolta lenses!) and the Canon system to suit your needs. whatever feels more comfortable, buy.
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 11:15 PM   #43

I don't think I even said the Xti was better. I only said it was about as good. Looks like six of one half a dozen of the other to me. The XTi clearly has the best autofocus sytem of the entry level cameras (unless you consider the D80 entry level). And there is an advantage there at high ISOs. And it can take a battery grip and sure "picture styles" is nice too.

The A100 has in body IS, has a battery that's twice as strong, has better metering, a more roomy grip, a better kit lens, and has it's own nice features like dynamic range optimization and eye-start autofocus. And it seems to cost a bit less.

Build quality is about the same on both (neither is great).

I think what I was suggesting is that the bodies have tradeoffs which might come out near even, but that I thought there might be an advantage for Canon when it comes to lenses. I suspect that if you look at comparable quality lenses, you might even find the Canon comes out less expensive.

Maybe I'm not up on the latest Sony/Zeiss lenses. But the reviews I've seen of the new 16-80 f3.5-4.5 suggested it was very sharp, with vignetting a bit of a problem wide open, distortion heavy at the wide end, and build a bit disappointing for a $700 lens. Not bad, but it seems less attractice to me than comparably priced Canon glass (like f4 L glass). Or for that matter, the Olympus f2.8-3.5 glass in that range which is weather sealed.

But then, on a budget, there does seem to be alot of good used KM glass out there that might make the Sony attractive for that reason. And, you have the advantage of all the lenses being stabilized on the A-100 body. But maybe that is offset by Sony still relying on an in camera focus motor when almost everyone else has moved to more modern in lens focus systems.

BTW, here's a well balanced comparison of the two:
link

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 12:34 AM   #44

kenbalbari, i hope you didn't think i was directing my comments at you, i thought you were being more than fair!

thanks for that review, it's quite interesting!

Old May 20, 2007, 3:31 AM   #45

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps wrote:
Quote:
Coldshot, both cameras are rated at being able to shoot 3fps so i really don't know why you're getting all huffy puffy over this. You're acting somewhat defensive in the sense that it seems you're threatened that anyone would ever dare to compare the Alpha with your beloved XTi. In my experience, a good photo is about 10% the doing of the camera and 90% the artistry in composing the shot.

As I noted, the XTi is a bit too light for my liking, but i know many people who swear by the canon system (including coldshot, haha). I have the Alpha, but it was a prize (if i had been buying, i would have gotten a Nikon D50 i think). Nevertheless, the Alpha has served me very well as my first DSLR and I will continue to purchase from the Sony line (despite my distaste for that company's other business practices). In terms of ergonomics, I go 100% in favour of the A100.

Seriously, DKCN, you should go to a camera shop and try out both. There are more than likely enough lenses in the Sony system (and old Minolta lenses!) and the Canon system to suit your needs. whatever feels more comfortable, buy.

I know the Dr is slowly digest what I posted earlier, you bougth the wrong camera right? Now you have your eyes on the D50, are you looking at that high speed sync of the Nikon?:-)

You suggest the OP to go to the store to try out the cameras, what to look for, show me.:-)Here let me help you to start somewhere, turn the mode dial of the Canon, you can only turn one click at a time, on the Alpha you can stop right in the middle in between modes, that's neat, in case you don't know for sure which mode to use Auto, Manual....you can rest in between modes and spend all the time you have to decide, not withany Canon camera, one click is one click, the internal gear is sharp, you cannot let it dangle in between modes like the Alpha.:-)

Oh I found the link compare the 3 cameras interesting too, but how come it has the Sony Alpha ad in there for?:-)

Btw, don't worry Dr, you are not alone, I like that 1/500 sec flash speed of the D50 to.:-):-):-)

coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 4:28 AM   #46

coldshot wrote
Quote:
I know the Dr is slowly digest what I posted earlier, you bougth the wrong camera right? Now you have your eyes on the D50, are you looking at that high speed sync of the Nikon?:-)

You suggest the OP to go to the store to try out the cameras, what to look for, show me.:-)Here let me help you to start somewhere, turn the mode dial of the Canon, you can only turn one click at a time, on the Alpha you can stop right in the middle in between modes, that's neat, in case you don't know for sure which mode to use Auto, Manual....you can rest in between modes and spend all the time you have to decide, not withany Canon camera, one click is one click, the internal gear is sharp, you cannot let it dangle in between modes like the Alpha.:-)

Oh I found the link compare the 3 cameras interesting too, but how come it has the Sony Alpha ad in there for?:-)

Btw, don't worry Dr, you are not alone, I like that 1/500 sec flash speed of the D50 to.:-):-):-)

huh?
Old May 20, 2007, 11:07 AM   #47

So, DKCN, have you gotten the information you need to make an intelligent choice?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:29 AM   #48

coldshot, we get it, you like the XTi. i never once said that the XTi isn't an awesome camera, just that i find it too light, physically, for my preference. That's why i am telling DKCN to go try them out, because DKCN will shoot more often with a camera that is comfortable to use.

i said it before and I'll say it again - you can take an amazing photo with any DSLR on the market, and the vast majority of compacts. there's absolutely no need to be obnoxious and pontificating over a matter of personal preference.

By the way, if you re-read my post you will realize that i never "bought the wrong camera", since I won the alpha - with a photo taken by a 3-year-old 4-megapixel Nikon compact.
Old May 20, 2007, 12:36 PM   #49

TCav wrote:
Quote:
So, DKCN, have you gotten the information you need to make an intelligent choice?

Yup, thanks everyone for the help. The only thing i'm waiting for now is to get back to Singapore so i can try out the cameras.

Again, appreciate the help. If i do have questions again, i'll post them here. I hope no one minds even if the questions are about lenses and all the other stuff :|
Old May 21, 2007, 12:16 AM   #50

Dr. Mr. Vandertramps wrote:
Quote:
coldshot, we get it, you like the XTi.

Sure, I like the XTI, but the way I like the camera is different from you like yours. I'm very realistic, I don't buy any camera that I cannot make money on it and the Picture Style of the XTI is an income producing feature of Canon offered to whoever knows how to use it with another hidden feature of that camera. There are two current cameras I can make money easier than the rest are the XTI and the D50 with a high flash sync and another hidden feature combine. I bet you get it, I shoot and laugh all the way.:-)
coldshot is offline   Reply With Quote