Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Which Cam??
FinePix S9000 0 0%
Powershot S2 IS 0 0%
FinePix S5100 0 0%
Other 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17, 2007, 9:43 AM   #1

OK,

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" I've finally afforded enough money to buy a decent digi cam. I do not want an SLR...because I'm not rich...lol. Anyway, I've read about all 3 of these cams, flaws and all (E15 error with Canon and wheel mechanism with Fuji) and I really don't know which of the 3 I want. Megapixels isn't a huge deal for me since I hghly doubt I'd need anything larger than an 8x10...maybe an 11x14 or whatever that ratio is. I'm most concerned with the camera lasting a very long time, ease of use (not necessarily right out of the box, but I don't want to spend 4hrs reading the manual to figure out the basics either), and zoom capability. I hate having a camera that you find the coolest shot ever, and unfortunately if you get *too* close that shot is looooong gone. My last concern is the speed. I would prefer a camera that takes the picture right (or soon thereafter) when I press the button, rather than waiting a god-awful long time before it finally shoots.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Any advice would be helpful. If my mention of these aspects also points to a camera that isn't listed here but would be better suited for me, please feel free to mention that as well. Thank you!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"*Xan
xanadu324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 17, 2007, 10:24 AM   #2

You have chosen three cameras all of which are decent but all of which have been superceded by newer models: the S5200 and S700, the S9100, and the S3IS. So I am assuming that you are buying them on Ebay or used. If not, I strongly suggest going for the newer models. The S5200 is better than the S5100 in low light and also hasa shorter shutter lag. The S9100 seems to have avoided theproblems that then S9000 had with one of its dials. It's also just marginally more expensive than the S9000 and some say it has slightly better picture quality, too. The S3IS is supposed to be a little less noisy at higher ISO's than than the S2IS.

What is your budget for your new camera? What willl you be taking pictures of mostly? Will you betaking many pictures in dim light? Why are you choosing older models?
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 2:24 PM   #3

From what I've read in quite a few places (amazon site, a couple other review sites) the S2 IS is better than the S3. Just what I've heard really, and with all the many reviews streaming that way (rather than just one or two people) I'm thinking it's true.

Yes I am swayed towards the newer-ish models, i.e. still new but have been updated with other models, mostly because of price decisions. It's almost beautiful to me how a price drops when the newer model comes out. And no, I'm not buying a used camera. I'll buy it somewhere cheaper new in box or something to that extent.

As for my photos, yes I do take a lot of low-light photos especially considering I live in what can only be constituted as the bat cave. The only place in this apartment I get even what can be considered decent photos is in the bathroom. Having the toilet and shower curtain as a background gets old.

Alright, I think that covers everything for the moment. As it is I've gotta go see the soon-to-be inlaws..a wonderful 2 hour drive on 4 hour sleep. Should be fun. :-\
xanadu324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2007, 2:27 PM   #4

I recommend also considering the Fuji S6000fd. It's very good in low light and can be gotten for less than $270 online after rebate. Check out the reviews.
Old May 18, 2007, 11:40 AM   #5

I think you should be looking at the Fuji S6000fd, and Canon S3 IS. The Kodak Z612 might be a good option as well. Keep in mind the Canon S3 IS is on the way out at this point, being replaced by the S5 IS. So there should be some reasonable prices there over the next couple of months. I don't think you'll find the S2 in "new" stock anywhere at this point.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 11:49 AM   #6

I'd suggest checking the professional reviews (Steve's and DPReview, not Amazon buyers) on the Fuji SD600, Canon S3IS and the Kodak Z612. All three are on Steve's Best Cameras list.

TheSD6000 seem to have the best low-light (w/o flash) high ISO performance but does not have IS,the S3ISis a great all around performer with ISand the Z612 is the price/performance ratio leader. The Z612 is also the smallest/lightest on this list. Not surprisingly all three are on Steve's list. I personally haven't used the Fuji or the Canon but I own the Z612 and it's met my expectations.

Final note, I'd rather buy from the manufacturer's refurb site than "new" from an untrusted source.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2007, 1:05 PM   #7

Perhaps I am thinking of a different camera, but I believe it's the Fuji S6000fd that you referring to.
Old May 18, 2007, 3:17 PM   #8

xanadu,

I don't believe there is a camera on the market (including DSLR's) that would take great pics in your bat cave without using flash. Keeping this in mind...

I don't believe either the S2IS or the S5100 would be the best investment if you plan on taking a lot of low light pics. I've used them both, and they are very good when used outside in bright sunshine. However, since both max out at ISO 400, there isn't too much they can do when taking pics in a cave. The only real change in the S3IS was an added 1 MP and a slightly larger LCD. They also pushed the ISO up to 800, but the pics I saw taken at that setting were pretty ugly. Compare the S2 and S3 noise here (scroll down):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons3is/page6.asp

The S5200 was an improvement over the S5100, but not enough that it would have pushed S5100 owners to upgrade. It did add a higher ISO, as well as a slightly larger sensor.

I would personally avoid the S9000 like the plague. The command dial failures are all too common, and I believe that it is just a matter of time before every S9000 will experience a failure. The S9100 is a good camera, but it would be the most expensive of the group.

The S6000FD, which others have mentioned in this thread, would be my recommendation for your needs. It is the best in low light, it has a wider angle zoom, larger LCD, manual zoom ring (that in itself is a good reason), ISO up to 3200, etc... Compare the S6000FD and S3IS noise here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fuji...00fd/page6.asp

I don't know how much you plan on spending, but the S6000FD has a $50 rebate on right now. You could buy it from Beach Camera for $306.69 - 50.00 = $256.69. That's a lot of camera for the money.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote