Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 19, 2007, 9:52 AM   #1

Which camera should I get that fits my needs? I really dont have a budget I just want a great camera that takes great pictures! I am open to any make and model as long as it is worth the money. I am so overwhelmed and dont know what direction to go in lol :?. I am also in no rush. So if there is a camera for me now thats great! Or if itis better to wait and see what comes out for my needs (I would like it by the end of July) thats fine to?
-I want somethig small and ultra compact
-I will use this indoors and out. Mostly for my kids that dont keep still
- a must isimage stabilization
-large screen that I can see when its dark and light
-something that takes great pictures that I can print up toan 8x10
-a camera that takes pictures quick (my digital camera that I have now takes so long to take a picture when the flash is on. I HATE it)
-also takes video and when in video mode the zoom works
-long battery life
-red eye reduction
-not a must but I like the feature for Face detection
-also not a must but I like the option to have the date on it
-also not a must but the HD option would be great

I am sure there are more lol but thats all I can think of right now.

Thanks so much!!!
davisdenyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2007, 12:17 PM   #2

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is probably no - at least at this time. Although electronics has been able to accomplish a lot, the laws of physics are still an important part of photography. A few simples rules...a bigger lens is usually better than a smaller lens (more light gathering ability, less distortion) - you can't stick a big lens on a tiny ultra-compact camera. A bigger battery usually permits more powerful flash units, more shots per charge and a faster recharge time - you can't put a bigger battery inside an ultra-compact camera (won't fit). Bigger sensors provide better resolution and less noise than smaller sensors - bigger sensors require bigger lenses, which won't go on small cameras. The reason for redeye in photos is a factor of the distance between the camera lens and the flash unit (and the narrower resultant angle). The smaller the camera, the closer the flash is to the lens. As a rule, ultra-compact cameras are aimed at a segment of camera users who want something tiny for a cheap price, therefore manufacturers don't put a lot of features into ultra-compact cameras because it brings the price up, therefore they won't sell.

The reality is, every camera purchase requires a bit of give and take. You need to decide which features are more important to you. If small size is most important, know in advance you will lose certain features you may want.

Take a look at the Canon SD line, in particular, the SD 700 and SD 800. They have most of the features you're interested in.

Good luck with your search.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 1:13 PM   #3

Thank you so much!!!! You were very helpfull. I do have 2 other camers that are really good cameras. But with this camera I really want something that I can just throwin my diaper bag or purse and always have it with me. In your opinion do you feel the cannon 700 and 800 are better than the sony cybershot T100? Because it seems that the T100 also has alot of the features I am looking for to.

Again thank you
Old May 19, 2007, 1:46 PM   #4

I did not consider the T100 or any of the other folded optics design cameras, as they seem to exhibit more lens distortion than those with telescoping type lenses. Just because I didn't suggest it doesn't mean it won't be right for you. I suggested the SD 700 and 800 because I felt that they provided close to what you were looking for, they have been tested and recommended in numerous professional review sites, and I haven't heard any negative feedback about them (other than the usual they 'take lousy pics in low light, lots of redeye', etc. - normal gripes for ultracompact cams).

Personally, I don't like any ultracompact cameras (just too small), and wouldn't consider purchasing one. ..but that's me.

The SD 800 has some advantages, such as an optical viewfinder and a wider (28mm) lens.

Check out the reviews, go to a store and play around with them...see which one you like the best.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2007, 2:45 PM   #5

Thanks I really appreciate your help. I did go to the stores and play with the cameras. I was at Best Buy for 2 hours looking at them and picking the poor guys brains lol (he probably could not wait to get rid of me). Gosh it made me even more confused. I know it is all a personal preference but he was trying to lean me toward the sony T-100. The only 2 things I did not care for was the slide down cover. I prefer the lens that comes out and the second thing is that Sony requires you to buy their own memory card (I personally dont like that they did that). I will go and check out the canon sd 800.

Thank you
Old May 20, 2007, 1:25 AM   #6

I had a Canon SD800 and it is a great camera and it may be the right camera for you

I returned mine and got a casio 1050 and love it

It is a very conpact camera but it is not a good camera for getting a fast shot

It actually sucks for that

I alos have a Nikon D50 and a Nikon D80 which both of these will not fit too good in your purse or diaper bag unless they are of good size.

But if you want somethign fast and awesome and the best quality pic available then you will not be disappointed in either of these camera's

So if you are not in th emarket for a DSLR then check out the SD800 i tis an awesoem little camera and I sorta regret tradeing it for the casio

TexasHillbilly
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 12:10 PM   #7

SD800 is probably the best choice. You might also look at the Panasonic FX50 (and similar FX07) or Casio Z850. I don't think their movie modes allow zoom, though.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote