Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2007, 2:40 PM   #21

At $349 at one of the box stores you can find the Panasonic FZ8. Has OIS and the most reach zoom wise.

I have the UZ Panny's and loved them all. Low light with those have been a issue though and fixed with the use of flash add-on still in the budget range you cited.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 3:56 PM   #22

aw!

I do really want a DSLR one day, but yall are talking about ISO and other things Ive never even heard of lol! Im very minimal on my knowledge and my kodak was an auto just about everything.

So whatever I buy will be a HUGE lesson for me. I was comfortable with the H7 not even reading any material... it was pretty self explanitory in my hands. It took really great walmart shots of my son lol! and seemed to sense when a flash was needed or not. The S3 IS I dont know if it has the option of sensing the light for you or not but the H7 did and was pretty much right on the mark with whatever I was shooting.

Ill go play with them again some tomorrow. What is the difference in the H5 and H7? I played with the H2 at target and didnt like it as much as the H7 but liked it better than the S3 IS they had on display. But I havent had a chance to really play with them without my son with me, so I havent had a chance to get real indepth with them.

One thing I didnt even think of was total lag, is there are chart to compare total lag time? With some of the ones I played with, by the time the flash did all its stuff and the picture snapped, he had already changed his position.

Thanks so much for all your help! I wish I knew more, I keep reading but stuff gets confusing the more I try to process. Its like trying to learn another language.
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 4:27 PM   #23

The newer cameras seem to have much better/lower shutter lag than older models.We have two Casio compacts and the Sony H5, and you only notice shutter lag when the light is poor and the camera takes longer to focus. Using a burst mode (press the shutter once and the camera takes several pictures quickly) can give you more chance of getting a good picture, but not normally with flash! The Sony H5 takes a long time to recharge the flash.

The H7 and H9 are replacements for the H2 and H5. H5 has a lovely 3" LCD (still a good 2.5" on the H7). I would do searches on the internet for H7 and H9 to look at reviews (only one so far on CameraLabs on H9), and to see what users say (look at Amazon and Dpreview). They have more bells and whistles than H1, H2 and H5, but the older cameras were always highly rated for image quality. My H5 gives very good pictures on Auto, but offers a lot of other controls for more difficult situations. The Panasonic FZ8 is also highly rated for image quality and is less expensive than the Sony equivalents. I think you would get nice pictures from any of the superzooms as long as you don't expect too much in low light. There are other factors such as batteries and their life. I don't like AA batteries (which the Sony has!), because they take much longer than lithium ion batteries to charge, and don't keep their charge as long. Any choice you make will be a compromise, but don't get too hung up on features.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 6:03 PM   #24

what is considered low light for a camera? The majority of my photos will be taken inside my or my relatives houses. We have regular house lighting lol!
Old May 21, 2007, 6:27 PM   #25

Good question! I don't know the answer, but in my limited experience with digital cameras, its not easy to get good pictures without flash in daytime indoors. The experts always recommend bounced flash (say off the ceiling) as a minimum to improve available light. Normal house lighting doesn't help much, and can affect the colours.
Old May 21, 2007, 6:34 PM   #26

so if normal house lighting is considered low lighting... then what kind of camera would I need? cause that would bemy main lighting, I would suppose...
Old May 22, 2007, 1:04 PM   #27

Having both a superzoom and an entry level DSLR with kit lens I get the best pictures with or without flash with the DSLR, but I've not been dissatisfied with the H5 indoor pictures without flash, particularly on fairly static people.Ideally you should borrow one of each (from friends maybe)and take pictures indoors. Only you can judge what is acceptable to you. Shahmatt has given you a very comprehensive answer on Superzooms with best performance without flash in "low light" and you also have a lot of information from the other post on superzooms and DSLRs. Prices are not that different if you take the latest superzooms. I got the superzoom first, learnt quite a lot, then got the DSLR when I knew more what I would need in the way of lenses. I would still do the same because the one lens of the superzoom is very flexible and fun to use, and its a great carry round camera. You may never want to go DSLR if the superzoom gives you the pictures you expect.
Old May 22, 2007, 5:06 PM   #28

thanks so much.

I went and played with them some more today, went to all the stores around town and took my time(didnt have the kid with me ) and have decided Im going to stick with the P&S until I know more. I admit Id love a DSLR right now, especially after playing with one... but man was I confused on all its options! which one to pick for where I was and what I was shooting. I am going to get a good P&S and learn all there is to know about it, then upgrade to a DSLR when Im ready and have the budget to invest in quality lenses.

So I could NOT find a fuji superzoom anywhere in town! and of the ones we do have in town the H7 was my favorite.

Who wants to tell me more about the fuji s6000fd, or is it the s6500fd? or are they the same camera??

Before I decide Im going to be sure to try out all my options. Im going to my sisters next week, she lives in a metro. and I know I can find there what I couldnt find here.

The biggest downside I see to the sony is that it doesnt take a standard memory card...
Old May 22, 2007, 5:39 PM   #29

Memory is cheap and the Sony memory sticks are not that expensive now. You should look at the flash recharge on the H7 - the H5 flash is very powerful but recharge time is very long.This was a complaint from many users. Hopefully, the H7 with a Lithium Ion battery is better? I believe that the Fuji S6000fd is called the S6500fd in different markets, so yes, the same camera. In the UK, it is around half the price of the H7.
Old May 22, 2007, 6:12 PM   #30

SDIX,

I was in your position several months ago. I wanted a dSLR but knew I didn't have the aptitude/knowledge as of yet to use one effectively. Another concern was lugging the dSLR setup to the park, pool, etc. Granted, I could get a backup camerafor that, but why waste my money?

I decided on a Canon S3IS. I can say that I have been very pleased with my purchase. The S3 allows you to use Auto mode but also gives you the ability to take "baby steps" to full manual mode by using P, Tv and AV modes. There are adapter tubes that give you the abiltiy to use filters, tele-converters, wide angle lenses etc. The macro/supermacro mode on the S3 is great.

As far as indoor, low light shots, the S3 isn't great. Post processing can correct a good bit of the moise problems in darker environments. Another option is to pick up an external slave flash. I grabbed a slave bracket from Sunpak and picked up a few used flashes. This cost me less than $50.I now have the ability to bounce flash which produced much better indoor shots.

The best thing is that I can dump all my accessories and still have a somewhat portable carry camera!

I am not pushing the S3 here, just recommending the superzooms.

I am sure a dSLR is in my future, but I am very happy with the decision I made. I hope this helps a bit.

Lee

LeeSC is offline   Reply With Quote