Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2007, 12:36 AM   #1

In the market for a DSLR. I had a P&S which was damaged on vacation so Ibought a Cannon Powershot A710 IS. Love the 6X digital soom and picture quality decent however, I am unable to get the shots I want of my kids indoors due to speed. It was so bad at my daugthers ballet class and birthday party that I was trying to anticipate her moves and take picture in advance to get the shot but I always seemed to miss. Our entire family has blue eyes so red-eye is an issue.

I am a total novice (obviously) but willing to learn. My kids are young and have many years ahead of birthdays, sporting events etc. Based on research it sounds like I need to make the jump to a DSLR? Willing to spend up to $1,000 for entire kit to start. Looking at the Cannon Rebel XTi, Nikon D80, Sony A100 and Pentax K100 and not sure which one is right for me. Open to suggestions not married to these cameras.

I tried my sister in laws Sony A100 and it felt a little akward and still a pretty big delay indoors with flash. Do i need to invest in an external flash to get the speed I need? I've read so many reviews at this point not sure where to turn.

A DSLR that can be used like a point & shoot initially would be great until I can get up to speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

LWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2007, 2:13 AM   #2

LWNJ

I own a Nikon D50 and a Kino D80. they are both awesome cameras and do very well what you want to do in normal light indoors light.

I have taken msome awesome pics with them both one is no faster and better than the other when it coems to speed.

I will try to answer soem of your questions for you and regardless what I say or suggest You are the one that has to live with your decision and you need to go out an dhandle each of these cameras and read about each of them and make your decision on what one you want. All of the ones you spoke of are quite capable cameras but you are still going to be limited to flash recycles and all that depends on who much the flash has to light the subject. If you shoot with flash in a good light room the flash will hav to fire little and recycle time will be very very short, but if you are shooting in total darkness and the flash has to light the entire subject the reclye time for the builtin flash can be a few seconds and you still may miss your shot.

I have a SB800 for my camera and it doesa better job of lighting the subjects but the recycle time is still there and you could still be disappointed. How ever these cameras do have a continue shot and a continious focus mode in them and they work very well usually even when using the flash.

The nikons will allow you to bring the camera into action and fire continois 3 shots per secs up to over 100 shots and the flash may or may not keep up with the shots. I have actuially had no problems in shooting fast action stuff of my almost 2 year old granddaughter, and have been quite pleased with the results. I love the Nikons that I have and even tho the D50 is an awesome and great camera the D80 is even more so. MY brother just bought a new canon XTI and had a lot of lens problems with it He got it with the 18-55mm kit lens and wanted soemthing better so he went and got a 18-200 quantarty lens from Ritz camera and the lens would not focus at 200mm the guy told him he needed an apature of at least 5.6 for the camera to focus and the lens was like a 6.5 @ 200mm so then he returned it and got a camon 70-300mm lens and had the same problem with it. I finaly talked him in to taking the Camwera back and getting a D80 and he did and he is very happy with it now.

You shoudl be able to pick up the D80 with the awesome very good 18-135 lens for about the price you said you are willing to spend.

Remember you have to live with yoru decision and it is best to go out and feel the cameras and reas about them and know as much as you possabily can on each one and make the decision you will be happy with not the one i am happy with

Good luck and heep us posted on what you do and did

TexasHillbilly
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 2:14 AM   #3

LWNJ

I own a Nikon D50 and a Kino D80. they are both awesome cameras and do very well what you want to do in normal light indoors light.

I have taken msome awesome pics with them both one is no faster and better than the other when it coems to speed.

I will try to answer soem of your questions for you and regardless what I say or suggest You are the one that has to live with your decision and you need to go out an dhandle each of these cameras and read about each of them and make your decision on what one you want. All of the ones you spoke of are quite capable cameras but you are still going to be limited to flash recycles and all that depends on who much the flash has to light the subject. If you shoot with flash in a good light room the flash will hav to fire little and recycle time will be very very short, but if you are shooting in total darkness and the flash has to light the entire subject the reclye time for the builtin flash can be a few seconds and you still may miss your shot.

I have a SB800 for my camera and it doesa better job of lighting the subjects but the recycle time is still there and you could still be disappointed. How ever these cameras do have a continue shot and a continious focus mode in them and they work very well usually even when using the flash.

The nikons will allow you to bring the camera into action and fire continois 3 shots per secs up to over 100 shots and the flash may or may not keep up with the shots. I have actuially had no problems in shooting fast action stuff of my almost 2 year old granddaughter, and have been quite pleased with the results. I love the Nikons that I have and even tho the D50 is an awesome and great camera the D80 is even more so. MY brother just bought a new canon XTI and had a lot of lens problems with it He got it with the 18-55mm kit lens and wanted soemthing better so he went and got a 18-200 quantarty lens from Ritz camera and the lens would not focus at 200mm the guy told him he needed an apature of at least 5.6 for the camera to focus and the lens was like a 6.5 @ 200mm so then he returned it and got a camon 70-300mm lens and had the same problem with it. I finaly talked him in to taking the Camwera back and getting a D80 and he did and he is very happy with it now.

You shoudl be able to pick up the D80 with the awesome very good 18-135 lens for about the price you said you are willing to spend.

Remember you have to live with yoru decision and it is best to go out and feel the cameras and reas about them and know as much as you possabily can on each one and make the decision you will be happy with not the one i am happy with

Good luck and heep us posted on what you do and did

TexasHillbilly
TexasHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4

I bought a Canon XT for shooting my little kids. It's small and light enough to carry around for an entire birthday party or dance recital. It has an auto mode that functions like a P&S.

An external flash would be helpful, it'll be more powerful than the built-in flash of any camera. It'll give you move creative possiblity if it has an adjustable head. But it'll add weight.

Best thing is to go down to your local camera shop and "test drive" the cameras you are considering. With so many DSLR models out now, it's like buying a new car.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 1:21 PM   #5

Thanks so much for the feedback. I am doing just as you suggested heading out to camera store now. Will let you know how I make out. Thanks again!!!
LWNJ is offline   Reply With Quote