Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2007, 7:47 AM   #1

Hi, I've decided to buy 1 of 3 cameras so all I need now is your opinions on which one. The 3 I've decided for are the Kodak Easyshare C875, Samsung Digimax S850 and the Canon PowerShot A630.

What I've heard is good with the Kodak is the P/A/S/M feature and obviously the lens with is a Schneider. On the Samsung I'm not so sure, I've just heard that It's supposed to be good camera and has a bright and big LCD-display aswell as high ISO. I don't know much about the Canon one either, I've just heard that Canon usually does make good cameras.

Now I've read a few reviews here at Steve's DigiCams and a few at DPReviews and looked at some of the sample images, It's pretty hard to compare them for me as I don't know that much about cameras at all. This is going to be my first camera and I haven't exactly planned to take any special photos but I just want to have a camera and play around with, of course it needs to be a good one too.

As you can see the cameras are in the 200-250$ price-range which is what I have to pay for one, so if you find another camera that you think can compare to these then feel free to explain why and send a link to it. As I said, I need your opinions, explain why the camera you suggest is better than the other ones and so on.

Thank you for your time.
Revoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2007, 9:51 AM   #2

Come on people... comments... opinions! :|
Old May 20, 2007, 10:08 AM   #3

No one else is home right now!

The Canon A630 is a great little camera but does not have Image Stabilization. The Canon A710 is a nice little camera for you to play around with. It takes regular off-the-shelf batteries and it does have Image Stab. I looked into it myself and thought it would be okay... maybe next year.

shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 10:09 AM   #4

I'm not an expert on cameras. But two months ago I purchased the Kodak C875. I loved the camera. Easy to operate but I could never get the red eye reduction to work. I followed the instructions, which were really simple to eleminate the red eye and it simply did not work. Every picture I took was really bad.......so I returned the camera.

I don't mean to discourage you, but if you are going to be taking photographs of people, you might want to check this feature out more closely.

Riverdoode
Riverdoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 12:41 PM   #5

shutter_bug wrote:
Quote:
No one else is home right now!

The Canon A630 is a great little camera but does not have Image Stabilization. The Canon A710 is a nice little camera for you to play around with. It takes regular off-the-shelf batteries and it does have Image Stab. I looked into it myself and thought it would be okay... maybe next year.

I didn't exactly mean that the camera had to be small but what I ment with having a camera to play around with is that I didn't have something specific to photograph. I just wanted to have a camera on the vacation, or go out the other day and photograph something.

I'll check out the A710, I'll read about the red eye reduction on the C875 aswell.

More opinions and comments please, can't really decide... 8)
Old May 20, 2007, 5:03 PM   #6

Ok so I saw this Fujifilm FinePix S5600 and it looked pretty good, but it does only have 5 MP's (I know that the MP's don't matter that much but then I'd go 'my camera has only 5 MP's and so on). Does anyone own this one or does anyone know how well it performs? and how does it compare to the other 3 that I mentioned?
Old May 20, 2007, 6:09 PM   #7

Riverdoode wrote:
Quote:
I'm not an expert on cameras. But two months ago I purchased the Kodak C875. I loved the camera. Easy to operate but I could never get the red eye reduction to work. I followed the instructions, which were really simple to eleminate the red eye and it simply did not work. Every picture I took was really bad.......so I returned the camera.

I don't mean to discourage you, but if you are going to be taking photographs of people, you might want to check this feature out more closely.

Riverdoode

I don't question your observations but of the three Kodak's I have access to,my ownDC5000 andZ612, andmy son'sC533 all have an effective red-eye reduction flash mode that I've used over and over and can testify that it works.

I would like to give you a with/without comparison using my Z612 but the last time I tried to intentionally produce red-eye I couldn't even do that.

That said you will not go wrong with either the Kodak 875 or the Canon SD630. I'm inclined to believe the Samsung's main design aim is to produce as many marketing buzz words as possible but not translating that into imaging ability.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote