Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 20, 2007, 11:10 AM   #1

hey folks

some years ago i bought the olympus 8080 widezoom, and now the time draws near to choose again. i am considering to change into the dslr faction, and after consulting some review pages, there are still some favorites left.

the last ones were the pentax k10d, and several olympus cameras. seems i got a knack on them ;o) these are e 300, e 510 and e 510 evolution.

the problem so far is that there is still a tendency of the olympus to "noise up" in higher iso levels and in some cases, the viewfinder is quite small.

whats important for me is image quality itself, a robust body and a price of maximum 1000 ā‚¬s... so if yout got any suggestions or other cameras, fire away. =)

sanrethur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 20, 2007, 11:50 AM   #2

First, you can open the choice to anyone's camera. I shoot Olympus, but don't restrict yourself to only their camera. If you had a bunch of lenses, that may not be the case.

The E510 is still a couple of weeks away, but high ISO noise seems to be comparable to the rest of the marketplace (based on the E410 using the same sensor). The processing has greatly improved, but it is also likely the competition will also improve in future releases.

Viewfinder's for the Olympus are small, but the brightness is reported to be better with the E510. For me, its not an issue with the E500, but I trust the autofocus. If I were to manual focus, I'd feel differently.

Nice kit lenses (I'd go two lens kit) round out a decent camera.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2007, 1:00 PM   #3

I also like Olympus for a number of reasons (colors, overall IQ, ergonomics), but YMMV. Pick up some cameras in a shop and study their menu structures and handling, how they fit your hand. All of the current manufacturers products can put out excellent photographs, but they don't all appeal to the same handling needs.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 4:47 AM   #4

thank you for the replies so far..

i am not really restraining myself to oly cameras, its just that they are my favs =) if you got any suggestions for comparable cams from canon or pentax, fire away.

my main interests in photos lie in nature, architecture and hmm experimental pics =)

which of the mentioned e - cameras would you prefer or why? are there any mentionable downsides or advantages compared to the others?

thanks in advance
sanrethur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 5:41 AM   #5

If you're thinking of indoor architectural photography, the e-510 (next month) with the ED 7-14mm lens would probably be a great combination. The lens is superwide but rectinlinear (no fish-eye effect), and its IQ has no peers; the camera will have 10MP, liveview, and in-body IS. For more general landscape shots, the Oly 11-22 with the same body is great. In fact, a number of new lenses are on the lens roadmap.

The E-330 (and the rumored E-3, fall arrival) has a articulated live-view which is great for both architecture and tripod-mounted macro work. If you want more of a bargain, both the E-330 and E-500 are coming down in price since the arrival of the new E-410--which has its own attractions, mostly in portability (was backpacking on your list?). Needless to say, all these have Oly's SSWF dust-buster and in-camera pixel-mapping, and some of the best lenses in any format. Based on the examples I've seen, the high-ISO noise issue seems to have been largely conquered with the E-410/510, although we'll have to wait a bit more till some official reviews come out; also, anecdotal evidence suggests that some batches, at least, of the E-410 have an under-exposure issue, which I'm guessing will be addressed in the first firmware upgrade.

While focusing isn't quite as fast as with some other cameras, the e-system cameras are almost always dead-on, without any of the front- and back-focusing problems experienced by some other brands.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 12:40 AM   #6

I came across this the other day in a comparison of the Zuiko and Leica standard zooms:
http://www.dslrmagazine.com/pruebas/...a-leica-7.html
Quote:
Debemos hacer aquĆ* el comentario, en el sentido de que, hasta la fecha y esperando los resultados de la Leica M8, todos los objetivos probados diseƱados para el protocolo Cuatro Tercios, han arrojado niveles de distorsiĆ³n muy inferiores a los de otros objetivos de focales equivalentes diseƱados para otros sistemas, hablando siempre de sistemas de fotografĆ*a digital.
which Babelfish translates as:
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
Quote:
We must comment out here, in the sense that, to date and waiting for the results of the Leica M8, all the proven objectives designed for the protocol Four Thirds, they have thrown very inferior levels of distortion to those of other focal objectives of equivalent designed for other systems, always speaking of systems of digital photography.
Which in English seems to be saying that all of the Four Thirds lenses they have tested to date have shown far less distortion than equivalent lenses for any other system of digital photography (pending results of the Leica M8 ).

A good counter argument might be that distortion can mostly be easily removed with the right software; and some of the better third party software for doing so only supports Canon and Nikon.

If you like Olympus though, you should consider the E-510 as the first choice of their offerings. The E-410 is smaller and a bit cheaper, but the E-510 has in body IS, a grip that is easier to handle for most people, and much more comprehensive controls (a half a dozen functions with quick access from buttons which are only accesible through menus or the status screen on the E-410).

On the other hand I just picked up a E-330 two lens kit for myself for quite a bit less than what these newer models are selling for. If you are on a tight budget and want to consider one of the older models, that one seems to be the most capable of the older models.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote