Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2007, 4:43 PM   #11

Dont rush too much. Take your time. Borrow a friends. Even if its for 20 minutes in their home. Test Drive in Store etc.

Indoors relatively low light is where a DSLR is needed most. You do not need any accessories for DSLR perse. You will need a lens. You will end up starting with all digital Kit lens. These are always pretty damn good and blow away lenses on Digicam. They contribute $75 to $200 to the cost of Body and are sometimes only available this way.

They frequently start at 17 or 18mm and go to 50-85mm at the other end. Because of the crop factor on Digital non Full frame All Sub $3000 dollar DSLR lenses act more telephoto by a factor of 1.5 to 2mm depending on which body your going with Canon/Nikon are 1.6/1.5.

For example a Rebel XTi the kit 17-55 acts like a 28 to mm to 80mm lens. A great portrait range. It allows you to get in a group of people or frame in those your taking a portrait of.

Of course sometime you might want somthing more Telephoto for things like zoo picture but you can deal with that later.

You also will eventually want at least a $25 tripod and wireless remote to take family pictures that include yourself. Canon for examle for their cameras makes the $20 RC1 remote.

Memory cards are dirt cheap for Digicam or DSLR. For example a 2GB memory card is like $25 to $50 depending on speed and where you buy it. I would not get anything smaller. You usually do better buying the memory card from someplace like newegg.com etc.

Price wise you need to fairly certain of what you are buying if you want the best price. A place like Circuit City or Costco or Target may have pretty decent pricing but also at least have good return policy if you change your mind.

Meanwhile the places with the absolute best pricing frequnelty have an only replace if defective policy and restocking fees if not. Newegg.com, buydig.com, andorma.com etc.

I can tell you buydig.com is great but only on price and speed of delivery. When I bought I ended up splitting my purchase across 3 dealers for the best price. It was a combination of Andorma, butterfly, and newegg.

anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 6:11 PM   #12

so the only difference in the k100d and k110d is the IS? how important is IS??

so I could get the Pentax K110D Digital SLR Body with 18-55mm Lens Kit for the same price I could get the sony H7...

I worry about buying the absolutely cheapest DSLR I can find though, how can it be quality if I strip it down to such a low price??
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 6:41 PM   #13

I agree with you Anthlover on virtually all of yor post, but not on the statement that kit lens will blow away lenses on digicams. My Sony H5 has a Zeiss lens starting at F2.8 with 38mm to 432mm equivalence, and the Panasonic superzooms use even better Leica lenses. That sharpnes, brightness, and range would cost a lot of money (if it existed for an SLR) and would weigh a ton! I do have a DSLR with other lenses but only the 50mm F1.8 is faster.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 6:43 PM   #14

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
I agree with you Anthlover on virtually all of yor post, but not on the statement that kit lens will blow away lenses on digicams. My Sony H5 has a Zeiss lens starting at F2.8 with 38mm to 432mm equivalence, and the Panasonic superzooms use even better Leica lenses. That sharpnes, brightness, and range would cost a lot of money (if it existed for an SLR) and would weigh a ton! I do have a DSLR with other lenses but only the 50mm F1.8 is faster.
huh? :-)
Old May 21, 2007, 7:33 PM   #15

ok what about the D40? Is it a good one? is the kit a good kit? Would the D40 kit be better than the Pentax K110D kit?

Would the D40 kit be better than the H7 or S3 IS or any of the other superzooms Im looking at?

I think I *might* be able to get a D40 for under $500. I just found out that the store we get a discount at has it and with our discount I could get it for $493.

The kit says it comes with a rechargable battery, so the only other thing I would need(for now) would be the memory card right?

So D40 starter kit and memory card and Id be set?? Is that right, is that a good choice?

Id be going over my budget by a little, and I hate to do that... but is it worth it??

I havent had the chance to play with the D40 or any of its relatives because the only display models out didnt have any power to them... so I would be buying it blindly...
Old May 21, 2007, 7:53 PM   #16

These guys will make your head spin!! :?

SDIX, keep it simple. I would steer clear of DSLRs. They can get expensive in a hurry. I heard that the lens included with the Pentax wasn't very good at all, so...

I'dchoose between the Canon A710, the Fuji S6000 or s9100 if you can find one, or, a Sony (includingthe 2006 models). I like that the Fujis have very large sensors, a major reason people go for dSLRs, and a wider lens, (down to 28 mm). The wider lens on the Fujis are great for group shots.

Ah, I feel better now! :G
shutter_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 8:25 PM   #17

its all the options that make my head spin! lol!

I havent had a chance to check out the fuji s6000fd but its an option. I need to go play with it.

Im going tomorrow to play with them some more, indepth... and Im taking a memory card to stick in them and bring home the photos... might take some AAs for the ones that dont have power to them. Im determined to find a d*mn camera! lol!

excuse my french
Old May 21, 2007, 9:23 PM   #18

I'm pretty impressed with my girlfriends S2IS; (newer is the S3IS)

It takes DVD-quality video - I mean VERY GOOD quality sound and video; and it fairs pretty well in most situations; however it can act like a predictable P+S camera. No high ISO, the A/F isn't super and the optics aren't super either.

Example:
Zoo, heavy overcast; I cranked up to ISO400, I had very little grain whereas her's had some serious grain problems on the highest setting. IICR was 200 or 400...

We were at lake superior one weekend and she couldn't AF on the horizon, but I could every time spot on.

She had better mobility (no lense swapping) and the video which proved to be quite fun.

It just 'depends'.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 9:39 PM   #19

Also look at the new Sony H9. A friend of mine got one and there are some nice features included.

Hold the shutter down and it will do some serious rapid fire shots

Moveable LCD

Wireless remote control

15x

They just keep getting better.

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 10:16 PM   #20

yes the H7 impressed me when I played with it in the store... the H9 would put me too close to my budget, so since I dont need the bigger tilting screen or night function then Id probably get the H7 over the H9, if I am correct in thinking that is the only difference?

Im excited to go play with them some more tomorrow. Over the weekend I have learned a LOT more about what to look at in a camera... still not everything but much more than before lol!

yall are great!