Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2007, 12:14 PM   #1

Which one would be better for mostly indoor snapshots of children?

Im still on my search for the right camera and Id love to get a DSLR but the price tag is a little out of my range. My budget is $500 including accessories and the cheapest I can find a DSLR is $599 for a starter kit. Ive got friends who keep trying to push me to get a DSLR but I dont know if it is even right for my situation and I dont want to have to up my budget for a camera that I might not need.

I do know I want as little lag time I can get, since kids change their expressions very quickly.
SDIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2

i'd go for a nice P&S over a DSLR. If you're going to get a DSLR, you should be doing it because you want to take advantage of the specific features they provide - if you're coerced into it, you might regret the decision.

The digital compacts give you the option of video, which is a nice feature especially where kids are concerned. Have you considered the Canon A570is? It, like most canon compacts, has a "kids and pets" mode for quicker shooting; it also comes with a 4x zoom and image stabilization!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3

that is what I was thinking. I DO want to get a DSLR one day, when Im ready and know I would use it to its full capacity(and can afford all the accessories).It wont be long and my son will be doing concerts/recitals/plays and in sports and such and I will want a camera to take quality photos from a distance, quickly and all.

Where can I compare total lag time? Cause that is very important I just realized. Kids change their expressions and positions so quickly.

I am currently looking at the Canon A630, A710, S3 IS; Panasonic FZ8, and Sony H7. The only one from that list I havent had a chance to play with is the panasonic and Im not sure why I still have it on my list? My list is changing constantly because I get new recommendations or come across something I like.

I actually do not want a tiny camera, and lots of friends keep suggesting those too lol! I have a kodak cx6330 that is about 4x2.5x2 and 8oz and I wouldnt want to go any smaller than that. I feel like I have nothing to hold on to when they are ultra small.
Old May 21, 2007, 1:09 PM   #4

I have to say I disagree. You nailed it when you said portraits and expressions change quickly. That is somthing you can not get with P/S aka Digicam.

A DSLR like a Nikon D40/40X, A Canon Rebel XTI etc., all around $700. They are ready to shoot the instant they are turned on.

Time was A DLSR was exepensive. That started to come to an end a few years back with the Original Digital Rebel that broke the $1000 barrier There are many other choices too like the Pentax K10D and Sony Alpha that also offer Anti shake.

Now if you said you only have $300 or you need somthing that fits in a box of Altoids I can not argue. But If you appraoch $500 mark you need to consider a DSLR.

You get a much larger sensor and the Abilty to use ASA 200 to 800 with out cringing at the grain or noise.

And on the video front I can can not say I agree either. Camera are not good at Video and Vs. Versa.
anthlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 1:11 PM   #5

My son has the Sony H7 and it provides excellent photos. The 15x zoom and image stablization also makes this camera attractive. I have shot with the Canon S3is. It also provides excellent quality pictures with image stablization. Most of the new ultra zoom cameras come with image stalization which I believe is a must for the zoom beyond 6x. Good luck.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 1:11 PM   #6

the a710is is a really nice camera- i like it a lot. the continuous shooting on all of the canons is pretty good, and you can change your shutter speed on all of the models that you mentioned (not sure about the panasonic, our store doesn't carry panasonic).

the H7 and the S3IS are great because of the zoom, but they're a bit bulky - the 6x zoom of the a710is is a good compromise between size and zoom if they're too big.

hope this helps!
Dr. Mr. Vandertramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 1:22 PM   #7

hmmm, but where can I get a DSLR with all the basic needs and not break $500??

It turns out I have a camcorder that my mom got at a yardsale and all it needs is a battery pack. So I had originally wanted camera that did video, but now I can live without it.

I liked that the A710 had a realtime viewfinder, where the superzooms dont and I think that will screw up time between pose and product, especially with a kid.

Size doesnt matter much because I AMa mom, so I have a huge whoppin diaper bag lol! Hes not in diapers anymore so I have all that extra room :-)And its a gorgeous bag, people never believe me when I say its a diaperbag, so I dont mind using it as a purse(or camera bag ). Its messanger style, so I can pull it off no matter what is on the inside.

I figure accessories wise Ill only need a nice memory card(or stick or whatever it takes) and rechargable batteries(or battery pack, unless it comes with it, I might still get a backup).
Old May 21, 2007, 1:30 PM   #8

The Pentax K100D with kit lens is available online for less than $500 shipped. I had the Pentax *ist DS and was quite pleased with it. I have also had the Fuji S7000 and S9100, bridge cameras with loads of features. However, I think *ist DS image quality over ISO 400 is noticeably better and even though the K100D doesn't autofocus as fast as some of the Nikon and Canon DSLR's, it still beats most bridge cameras. It also has image stabilization. You can get 2 Gig SD cards very cheaply nowadays. You can also buy rechargeable AA batteries with charger pretty cheaply.

If you want a bridge camera that is good in low light with a decent zoom, try the Fuji S6000fd.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 1:35 PM   #9

i thought the d40 was the cheapest DLSR. its sad how little I know about cameras:roll:
Old May 21, 2007, 4:17 PM   #10

There's also a rebate on the K100D that will give $50 back. So you can get it with the 18-55 kit lens for just under $450 after rebate. The K110D, which is the same camera but without IS, is available for around $400 with the kit lens (but no rebate available on it).

Those won't give you alot of zoom though; and by the time you add another lens it would be over $500.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote