Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2007, 1:16 PM   #1

I have been searching this forum little success in finding out which camera would be best for me. Here is the requirement

1) Background: I have been using Kodak DX4900 since Past 4 years, over the years, i felt that there is a need to have more control over the Shutter, Apperture, Focus etc...
2) Requirement: I would like to take series of shots at a single click keeping All other parameters same except for varing shutter speeds example 1/100; 1/200;1/300;1/400 up to 1/2000. similarly, keeping all all other things constant, varing aperture

Which camera would be best?
I am open to DSLR and P&S, any thing that gives me control as mentioned above

your help is greatly appreciated

Thanking in Advance

Kind Regards,
ViReN
ViReN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 2:28 PM   #2

Don't know of any camera on the market that will do what you want - mostly because from a general photographic concept it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I don't even know of one that does automatic exposurue bracketing - typically bracketing is done in 3 shots - one with metered exposure, one under and one over - but you usually have to press the shutter 3 times. I'm not sure of any camera that will increment the shutter by 1/3 stops from 1/100 up to 1/2000 with just one click.

Out of curiosity - what are you taking photos of that you want 4 1/2 stops worth of different exposures (which is what you'd get keeping all other parameters the same)?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 3:04 PM   #3

John,

Thank you for a kind reply. A couple of days back, I have had hands on Canon S3 IS a couple of days back, it allows automatic exposurue bracketing - bracketing 3 shots but in that, I guess the F Stop and Aperture changes. it can take 3 shots at one click.

I need some thing like Automatic Exposure Bracketing with a lock on F stop and Aperture... even 3 shots to 6 shots would do (a compromise) but can still do....

I do not mind clicking 10 times to get 30 Images... but settings should be some how automatically be changed....

I have been searching for this for a quite few days ... the closest that I got was possibility of connecting Laptop through USB and defining a batch Job ... but what camera to be connected that allows shooting pictures by specifying the parameters... i am not sure...

Thanks once again,
ViReN
Old May 21, 2007, 3:10 PM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Out of curiosity - what are you taking photos of that you want 4 1/2 stops worth of different exposures (which is what you'd get keeping all other parameters the same)?
Yup, 4 will still do.... keeping all other parameters same....

Here is what I intend to shoot

A Object, indoors at various time intervals (from Early in morning to Late in Evening) to create a time lapse photo .... this i would like to do for over a week duration with fixed parameters

All Other Parameters Locked, except for Shuter speed lets say 1/100, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/1500 and 1/2000 ... every hour from 6 AM in morning till 10 PM Night

the above sequence is to be repeated initialy for a week
Old May 21, 2007, 3:35 PM   #5

I have read many reviews of new cameras over the last two years but never saw anything approaching your requirement. My obsolete Casio EX-P600 compact has user defined exposure bracketing (3 to 5 shots with one shutter press between -2 and +2 stops) but no time lapse etc. I just tried it indoors with no flash, and the camera kept the aperture constant but changed the shutter speed and ISO.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 3:47 PM   #6

1eyedeer wrote:
Quote:
I have read many reviews of new cameras over the last two years but never saw anything approaching your requirement. My obsolete Casio EX-P600 compact has user defined exposure bracketing (3 to 5 shots with one shutter press between -2 and +2 stops) but no time lapse etc. I just tried it indoors with no flash, and the camera kept the aperture constant but changed the shutter speed and ISO.
Hi,
Thanks for kind reply.... Time lapse is not an issue, I can click Manually every hour... or two (it's still an experiment)....

It is nice to know that there are cameras that have 3-5 shots for one button click.... ISO has to be constant though just shutter speed changing is good enough for me.

changing settings every time to a specific set of parameters is an issue....
Old May 21, 2007, 3:48 PM   #7

If I understand correctly, what you want is just AE bracketing, but you want it to change the shutter speed rather than aperture when it changes the exposure. I believe all you have to do for that is put it into apperture priority mode and use the AE bracketing feature. In shutter priority mode it would only vary the apperture.

If you don't want it to change the exposure, then you would need it to change both apperture and shutter. I'm not sure if any bracket in that way, though (it might be called depth of field bracketing maybe?).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 3:52 PM   #8

If nothing else (such as the Canon timer remote) will do you, http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htmDSLR RemotePro should doall you want (or at least come close). You will, however, need a camera such as a Canon 30D (several models, including the 400D, are supported) and a computer (a laptop being the most convenient).
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 11:23 PM   #9

kenbalbari wrote:
Quote:
If I understand correctly, what you want is just AE bracketing, but you want it to change the shutter speed rather than aperture when it changes the exposure. I believe all you have to do for that is put it into apperture priority mode and use the AE bracketing feature. In shutter priority mode it would only vary the apperture.

If you don't want it to change the exposure, then you would need it to change both apperture and shutter. I'm not sure if any bracket in that way, though (it might be called depth of field bracketing maybe?).

AE Bracketing with Aperture Priority is more like it.... getting closer to a solution but can it be repeatable? i.e.

Today I shoot as ISO 800, F/5.6, 18mm with speeds of 1/100, 1/500, 1/1000, 1/1500 and 1/2000

Tomorow I would like to use Exact Same Settings irrespective of light surroundings.

I am not sure If I understand Aperture Priority, but in that mode, F stop and Shutter Speeds will change depending on light conditions... is it correct? i want to lock on a specific setting as mentioned above and it should be reproducable.

This will help me in comparison of specific object / condition at various instances.
Old May 21, 2007, 11:43 PM   #10

hgernhardtjr wrote:
Quote:
If nothing else (such as the Canon timer remote) will do you, http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/index.htmDSLR RemotePro should doall you want (or at least come close). You will, however, need a camera such as a Canon 30D (several models, including the 400D, are supported) and a computer (a laptop being the most convenient).
WOW.... I just checked http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemotePro/features.htm

So it will allow me to repeat the same settings and I can take Braketting shots....

What I exactly need is some thing like this http://www.breezesys.com/DSLRRemoteP...utobracket.gif
but want to Specify Starting And Ending Shutter Speed keeping all parameters constant such as ISO, F Stop and Focal Length.