Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2007, 1:23 PM   #11

Don't get too hung about MPs, anything over 6MP has little photographic benefit in the smaller sensors used in point and shoot (P&S) cameras. Adding more MPs to a small sensor can result in increased noise which in-turn requires increased anti-noise processing causing loss of detail. Increased MP can, if the rest of the system is enough detail, provide some increased fexability when cropping.

In my opinion the current crop of "super-zoom" cameras offer the most versatility and very little or noprice premium over camera with shorter zooms but otherwise similar capabilities. All the "super-zoom" list within Steve's Best Camera list: http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.htmlare excellent performers. Each camera has different strengths so you should read the reviews. I do think that IS is a must item for super-zooms and it has been useful on my Kodak Z612. I haven't checked the current market prices on all the cameras in that group but both the Kodak Z612 andZ712 (which hasn't been tested yet) are within your price range

If the super-zooms are too large for your purposes the select from the 6-10 MP cameras in the best camera list. Again the each have different strengths but all are excellent performers.

You might want to review these cameras and narrow the list down to about 3 and then ask again in this forum.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 3:36 PM   #12

thanks,I'll check them out.
gbcimages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:37 AM   #13

well,i've made my decision . i 'm going with the canon A 640 . It will do everything I need in a camera. it's also rated pretty high amoung other image makers. I've seen samples of the depth it does. I'm anxious to try it out and see for myself. Thanks

Gary
Old May 25, 2007, 1:52 PM   #14

Post pictures when you've had a chance to use it a bit.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 3:54 PM   #15

Thanks, I will. I'm new to digital so it will take me awhile.

Gary