Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 21, 2007, 11:24 PM   #1

Hi,
I think it´s time to move to DSLR i have had a sony F-717 and a Canon S3, and i think it´s time to move to a DSLR. I´m between canon and nikon (most popular i think) and the models are the XT and the D40 respectively. I know that the lenses maybe are not so good, so i think that i have to buy just the body. But i don´t know what lens to buy.

I want this camera for general purpose and more important for landscapes and nature. I would like to have just 1 lens for the beginning, and maybe buy another in a few months.

Well, so my question is, which camera to buy, and wich lens.

Thanks and Regards.

Christian
BeeF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 4:52 AM   #2

The Xt sold in huge numbers and has been very succssful, and the D40 (which I bought following compacts and the Sony H5) is also very popular. In the UK, you can't buy the D40 body on its own, but the kit lens is pretty good (I have the Sigma 10-20mm and Nikon F50mm 1.8D to compare it with). I would have probably bought the Xt if the D40 hadn't been around but preferred the grip on the D40, and was put off the Xt by reviews with the kit lens, so the equivalent costs at that time would have been a fair bit higher for the Xt body plus good lens.

I never seriously considered other manufacturers because the advice on these forums made me realise that the lens choice and availability is more important in the long run than the camera body. I could have afforded the D80 or 30D but felt they were too big and more than I needed as a first DLSR. My ideal combination would have been the D40 + 18-135mm or better still the 18-200VR (but the latter may be more balanced on a D80 or D200). ISO1600 compares to ISO400 on the H5, and JPEGs are fine straight out of the camera. Best thing is to try both cameras and do as much research as possible - I find that the user reviews on DPreview and Amazon give an indication of the few negative points of each camera. Bear in mind that the D40 has no auto focus motor in the body so cannot use all the Nikon lenses and only the Sigma lenses with the HSM focusing. The main thing that you would miss from Nikon is a prime lens which will autofocus (although you can buy a Sigma 30mm 1.4 HSM). Take your time and have fun choosing!
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:11 AM   #3

Which lens is best for you depends on how you see the world. Many landscape people prefer wide angle, but I find myself looking at details more and want a close-focusing macro lens. Others say "nature" and mean wildlife photography and want a long telephoto lens (300mm or more). Any lens that tries to do everything won't do anything well at all. I happen to have the Pentax K100 and love it - a good all-around dSLR withanti-shake in the camera body and the ability to use lenses I first bought over 25 years ago, along with an outstanding, older top-of-the-line lens I bought used last summer that I could never have afforded new.

As far as lenses go, I find the kit lens on the Pentax (18-55mm) works for all of my wide-angle needs. I've heard that the Nikon lens is probably a bit better, while the Canon's kit lens has a poorer reputation. Personally, I don't use it all much - I use a macro lens and a telephoto lens much more often.

If you are buying Nikon, probably get the kit lens first, then decide where its limitations are, ifyou notice anyand go from there.Definitely do the same thing ifyou consider Pentax. If buying Canon, then (based on what I've read in reviews, since I haven't used one)I could see deciding which focal lengths you would find most useful first and skip their kit lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 10:33 AM   #4

I am not say anything new here just more or less saying the same thing in my own words.

First of all, you stated your photograhing interests which is a good start. Just about any make with the kit lens will start you off in the right direction.

The caveat, your interests may grow in other areas, what you buy may not be enough for what your new interests may be and that camera will inevitably become a back-up or sold for the next step up.

Keeping that in mind of that being possible I suggest going with what fits your budget and also what feels right when you hold it and see how easy it is for you to work the menu set-up and options.

Lenses beyond the kit lens should be viewed as an investment. The one does all lens is more for ease of use and not having to swap lenses.

Look at pbase.com and check the model camera you are interested in. Lenses are also listed so you can see how the images look.

Tom
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 12:46 PM   #5

Yes, the lenses are a story apart, but if you would buy a camera, just the body, wich of this two would you buy?

And why Canon is much more sold than nikon?

Old May 22, 2007, 2:08 PM   #6

The Pentax K100D is better than both of those IMHO. I read everything I could find on DSLR's for 3 months before buying, and went with the Pentax K100D and never looked back. It a awesome camera for the money. The only reason people buy Canon or Nikon is that they are advertised more than other camera's.
Fl_Gulfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 4:13 PM   #7

Fl_Gulfer wrote:

The Pentax K100D is better than both of those. I read everything I could find on DSLR's for 3 months before buying, and went with the Pentax K100D and never looked back. It a awesome camera for the money. The only reason people buy Canon or Nikon is that they are advertised more than other camera's.

Its not a good idea to generalise- you are bound to get it wrong. I too read everything for about two years and bought the D40. I ruled out Olympus, Pentax and Sony because they are not major players in the higher level photographic market of entry level DSLRs up to full frame- it was nothing to do with advertising or the quality of other products. It was as much to do with lens quality and availability as with the camera body.

I must have missed theprofessional reviews that stated that the Pentax K100D is better than any other DSLR- which review was that?. From what I have read, all the cameras will take similar quality images in RAW, but that the D40 had the best JPEGS. From my experience, the D40 is a great first DSLR, and from your experience the K100D is also a great first DSLR.

I'll now sit and wait for the posts telling me about all the Nikon and third party lens do not autofocus, so that I can reply with lists of Nikon and Sigma lenses that can AF - there's around 40 but I couldn't afford all of them!

Old May 22, 2007, 4:23 PM   #8

D40 + 18-135mm this sounds like a very good combination
Old May 22, 2007, 4:24 PM   #9

Beef asked:

"Yes, the lenses are a story apart, but if you would buy a camera, just the body, wich of this two would you buy?

And why Canon is much more sold than nikon?

My choice of the D40 over the XT was mainly because it felt better in my hands and the D40 with kit lens was better value compared to the XT + separate lens. The pricier Canon and Nikon cameras felt too big to me. The Canon has sold more because it was the firstbig sellerentry level DSLR and has gone through several product cycles.
Old May 22, 2007, 4:28 PM   #10

Fl_Gulfer wrote:
Quote:
The Pentax K100D is better than both of those. I read everything I could find on DSLR's for 3 months before buying, and went with the Pentax K100D and never looked back. It a awesome camera for the money. The only reason people buy Canon or Nikon is that they are advertised more than other camera's.
Based on your three months of reading you can be absolute is saying what you decided on is better than the other offerings.

I wouldn't be so smug and fast to say anything like that. They are all good cameras and it comes down to many other factors other than your own to make a decision on what is best.

Research and reading what you find is one thing. Finding the cameras and getting hands on with each and every one is another. I was in the market for a dSLR and at the time the Pentax istD was too costly and the Canon Rebel 300D was still out and actually exploded the doors wide open for the dSLR market being the first sub $1k camera.

I actually used this camera for a bit and did not like it. The images were very good, and it was easy to learn how to use. I just did not like the way it felt in my hands. I tried several different lenses as well. I was fortunate to have a friend who has this camera to help me in making the decision to what would be the dSLR for me.

Pentax then came out with the ist DS. I went to a local Ritz store and got my mitts on it and liked the grip immediately. It felt right for me. Menus were even easier. I took a few shots and the salesperson kept pushing the Canon. I told him I already tried it and did not like the way it felt. He is a Canon shooter so I can understand his opinion but did not scoff at the Pentax. The price had just dropped two hundred dollars on both kits and I decided then and there that I know I would be shooting the heck out of the Pentax. I had the FZ1v2, 10 and 20 and knew the the 400 iso limitations were the only drawback to these fine UZ cams.

It did and has not disappointed me except for one thing. Its burst mode or continuous shooting buffer. In fact the K100D is the same. A sport shot here or there is plenty capable with the Pentax. I enjoy rapid sequence of events style shooting. The Pentax can't do it. Canon and Nikon though higher end camera modelscan.

I bought Nikon because it can do what my Pentax can't. That is from doing everything I can hands on, not just reading what someone else said.

vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote