Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2007, 2:13 PM   #1

I need a camera for my wife. We have never owned a digital camera. She wants something that is truly point and shoot. She will rarely if ever use any manual settings. I think we may want a Canon but are not locked into that brand. We have kids and will be buying them camera(s) to use also so a would like to stay with the same storage type and basic operation style. I'm not that worried about cost.Iseitherthe ELPH cameras or the A-Series more for beginners?

All advice is welcomed.
Smart ID10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 2:48 PM   #2

The Canon A-570 IS would be an excellent camera to begin with initially. It is reasonable in cost, has IS or Image Stabilization, has 4X optical zoom and uses inexpensive and readily available SD image cards.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 3:28 PM   #3

Thanksmtclimber!

I have thought of the A-570 IS. I was also thinking about the A-710 IS. Does anyone know when the A- 7xx will come out? I have been trying to find this info but haven't found anything.

I don't know much about either one except that the A-570 IS has newer technology and the A-710 has 6x zoom. Is the newer technology worth the trade off of the lower zoom?I would guess these cameras are about the same for ease of use. Is that right? Is the Image Stabilization automatic or something that has to be done manually?

What about the SD750 and the SD1000? Are these just as easy to use for point and shoot or do they require more manual settings? They look so small.

If one of these cameras has manual settings do they also have a default automatic setting if you would rather let the camera do the work for you?

What are the real differences between the Elph series and the A-Series? Are there any that make the Elph more complicated? I know the A-Series are boxier and in some cases have more zoom. Are these the only differences?

She needs very basic. As you can see from these questions, I wouldneed a basiccamera too except I can't move my right hand. I wish there were left handed cameras:evil:

Old May 22, 2007, 4:17 PM   #4

Smart-

Both the Canon A-710IS and the A-570IS can be used in the fully automatic mode. The big advantage to me between these to cameras is that the A-570IS uses the newer Digic III processor. The 4X versus 6X optical zoom is a personal choice.

The elph series cameras are physically smaller that the A series Powershot cameras. It is simply a personal opinion, but I find that the larger size of the A-series is very useful in reducing camera fumbling, at least for me.

MT/Sarah
Old May 24, 2007, 1:41 PM   #5

I did buy the A570. I had a hard time deciding on the A570 or the A710. Thanks for your help.
Old May 24, 2007, 11:29 PM   #6

Smart-

Congratulations on purchasing your new Canon A-570 camera. Have fun taking some great photos. We are always here to help you out, if you encounter any problems.

Post some photos when you have the opportunity.

MT/Sarah