Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2007, 11:53 AM   #11

ozculprit wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that, borrowing a Nikon AF 70-300mm G Zoom for Saturday. Most of my photos are sport involved so thank you for that tip.
If most of your needs are sports based then neither camera is a good solution since both have rudimentary focus systems.

If you're going to shoot sports primarily then I recommend Canon 30D or 400D from Canon, Nikon d80 from Nikon. Those cameras will have the best focus systems as well as excellent high ISO performance.

The newer Pentax cameras have decent focus systems but with exception of Sigma HSM lenses there aren't many lenses available with their own focus motor.

Focus speed is critical for sports success. If sports is truly your need, I'd recommend you strongly consider one of the above 3 cameras (Nikon d200 is good too but it's pricey so I think the d80 can do everything you'd need it to do).

Sorry if I mistook your post and sports is not a primary purpose for your camera.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:17 PM   #12

The D40 will not AF unless the lens has a built in motor, which is why those lenses focus faster, the Pentax has the motor built into the body, which is why it is a bit slower, but you can use any AF Pentax lens on it.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 12:59 PM   #13

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
The D40 will not AF unless the lens has a built in motor, which is why those lenses focus faster, the Pentax has the motor built into the body, which is why it is a bit slower, but you can use any AF Pentax lens on it.

Tom
I think I did cover that.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 1:09 PM   #14

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
ozculprit wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for that, borrowing a Nikon AF 70-300mm G Zoom for Saturday. Most of my photos are sport involved so thank you for that tip.
If most of your needs are sports based then neither camera is a good solution since both have rudimentary focus systems.

If you're going to shoot sports primarily then I recommend Canon 30D or 400D from Canon, Nikon d80 from Nikon. Those cameras will have the best focus systems as well as excellent high ISO performance.

The newer Pentax cameras have decent focus systems but with exception of Sigma HSM lenses there aren't many lenses available with their own focus motor.

Focus speed is critical for sports success. If sports is truly your need, I'd recommend you strongly consider one of the above 3 cameras (Nikon d200 is good too but it's pricey so I think the d80 can do everything you'd need it to do).

Sorry if I mistook your post and sports is not a primary purpose for your camera.
John,

It was later in this thread that he stated his purpose for this camera. I don't think either one will be suitable for sports shooting per se due to buffer in the ist DS and the FPS for both models.

Definitely when it comes to lenses it can make a huge difference and the Sigma lenses for sports are pretty competitive to the higher and pricier counterparts of Nikon and Canon.

The motor in the lens makes a big difference as well. In the Nikon camp the older AFS 80-200mm speed wise outperformed the AFD version and for sports that makes a big difference. I know that Sigma makes a 70-200 2.8 HSM lens for Pentax, Canon and Nikon. If it does work on the Nikon D40 it would be the way to go in my opinion just taking these two cameras into consideration.

If I did have money as no object, the Canon Mark DIII would be thee camera to have for Sports shooting. I am not brand loyal by any stretch of the imagination.

It simply comes to what feels and works best for you based on what you have or can acquire. If hands on homework is available then by all means take advantage of it.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 7:33 PM   #15

My pocket dictates to what I can use. I would have the canon tomorrow if I had the money. The Pentax has served me well and cost wise it suited my budget at the time. am a newbie as far as camera's go. This was the first shot I ever took with the Pentax. Before that I had a point and shoot canon with a 10 second shutter delay. :lol:

The more I discover what I can do with a camera the more I want a better camera. :blah:

Attached Images

ozculprit is offline   Reply With Quote