Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 22, 2007, 6:18 PM   #1

Hi all, I need help. I own the Pentax and I won the Nikon. Which one should I keep and why?

I am new to SLR photography so any help and advice should be appreciated.
ozculprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2007, 6:43 PM   #2

Both cameras are excellent and have similar quality.

Do you have more lenses with the Pentax?Since you say you just won the D40, I would guess it will come with the kit lens only. If you had more than the Pentax kit lens I'd say keep the Pentax and sell the D40.

The D40 is a newer camera and perhaps you would get more selling it than you would a well-used DS, but the DS has retained its resale value quite well, considering there's now the K100 and K110, and you should do fairly well selling it unless your shutter count is way high or there's dings on the camera.

Do you prefer feel/ergonomics of the D40 over the DS? If so, then sell the Pentax, but if you prefer the DS, then sell the D40.

If you don't have extra lenses, and they both are equally comfortable for you to use, then sell the one that fetches the most money or flip a coin.

I don't think you can lose either way - sell one and use the proceeds to buy a new lens for the one you keep.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 6:49 PM   #3

I have a 70-300mm & 18-55mm lenses with the pentax and the D kit came with the 18-55 and 55-200mm kit. I like the Pentax and feel, its heavier than the Nikon but that is just because I am ue to the Pentax. After a quickplay wih the Nikon I would say the Nikon is easier to use. I am taking some shots this weekend with both Cameras at the local sporting club and will compare them that way as well. I am leaning towards the Nikon because its new, 12 months warranty etc.

I think it may come down to fliping a coin..lol

The Pentax and Lenses are in excellent condition, 12 months old.

Old May 22, 2007, 7:13 PM   #4

I have both cameras at this time. The Pentax ist DS was my first dSLR. Its onboard flash and continuous shooting mode were the only real disappointments for me. I use the Tamron 28-75 mm XR Di 1:2.8 Macro and won't take it off.

As far as auto focus the Nikon D40 is very fast compared to the Pentax ist DS. In fact, sometimes it hunts even with a 2.8 lens. The Nikon does not. It does however have the AF light and the DS has this flash bursts and takes time to focus in low light. Missed some shots where I don't with the D40 thus far from what I have been using it for.

I am giving the D40 a real workout and have two weeks before I decide to keep or not.

Pentax as you know has many choices for lenses compared to the Nikon D40. It really doesn't bother me in any case since I have the 18-200mm VR II and that lens is marvelous.

If I had to decide I would not be able to myself. It would be a coin toss.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 8:26 PM   #5

Well I am giving both a workout andthis saturday its for action shots at the football. So far I would say the Nikon brings out skin tones better. It's hard to split them though. I may sell both and go for something better again..lol
Old May 22, 2007, 9:32 PM   #6

Stating that you will go with sports shooting with both cameras I find the D40 will out do the ist DS. All things being fair though you should use similar lenses to make the judgement call.

Old May 22, 2007, 9:44 PM   #7

ozculprit wrote:
Quote:
I may sell both and go for something better again..lol
If that is your gut feeling than go with it. I find whenever you doubt or second guess what you have; it usually is a good indication that you aren't satisfied and or you want something else. When I got back into the game, I didn't trust my first instincts and bought the wrong camera. Luckily, I was able to return it for a full refund and get what I wanted.
Gozinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2007, 9:46 PM   #8

Thanks for that, borrowing a Nikon AF 70-300mm G Zoom for Saturday. Most of my photos are sport involved so thank you for that tip.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:31 AM   #9

I don't think that lense will work on the D40. It needs to be an AS or AI. The AI are older big reach type lenses that had their own motor like the newer AS lenses. Right now the number of compatible AS lenses are about 16.
Old May 23, 2007, 12:33 AM   #10

I presumed it would fit, I better check on that. Cheers