Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2007, 3:03 PM   #1

i'm on the way to buy a new camera
i want an ultra compact to go everywhere with me in the range of 250€ if possible with an extra battery

i'm wondering the panasonic fx3 ou fx12, cause i like the design and the leica lens
the fuji is the f31fd and the advantages of a bigger sensor and high iso quality are more obvious

it will be used to point-n-shoot só it doesn't matter if doen't have manual controls. don't need evf, but a big lcd

i'm open for other sugestions in the price range mencioned. in dollars i guess it«s around $340

any users of those 3 cameras please say what u think of them

TIA
D3v1l is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 2:45 PM   #2

nobody?
i also read that some panasonic models have a burst mode that goes until the memory card is full
Old May 25, 2007, 11:02 PM   #3

Both look like good choices. I'm very happy with my F30, and I'm sure you'd like the F31.

As for the Panasonics, I think those Panasonics with the Leica lenses consistently produce some of the best outdoor sample photos I've seen in reviews. The catch is they aren't as good in less than ideal light. But, they're also the only ones you'll find in that price range with IS. Even for some indoor situations where you can't use flash, I've seen decent results for them just by keeping it no higher than ISO 200 and using a slow shutter.

One question is whether you want the manual controls on the F31. I think it's a good idea to have some manual contol over apperture and shutter speed available, even if you don't intend to use it much. But if it's not important, you can save a bit by looking at the F20 or F40 instead.

As for the Panasonics, they don't have the manual controls available, but make good point and shoots especially if your pictures are primarily outdoors, like vacation photos. I think the F31 is a bit more versatile as an all around camera though.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 7:33 AM   #4

thanks for your answer kenbalbari

the manual controls aren't very important i think
i own an A200 that allows me that. the idea is to buy a pocket size camera to go with me in my bike.
the f40costs the same as the f31fd and i've read thatthe f20 only charges the battery inside the camera and i don't like that
do you know anyhing about the lumix "infinite" burst mode?
i can get the fx12 for about 210€ and the f31 for abou 228€ about $30 difference
the only thing thas it's blocking me is the quality of the lumix in high isos
Old May 26, 2007, 10:13 AM   #5

D3V1l:
The F31fd also includes only the AC adapter for charging the camera in body. There is an external charger available, but I think it's aother $50. The F40 instead includes the charger, but not the AC adapter.

The FX12 sound similar to the earlier FX07 (though it has the wider angle lens, which I like):
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_.../fx07_pg5.html

Steve says it could do about 2.5 fps unlimited.

Since you are taking the camera with your bike, will most pictures be outdoors? The higher ISOs on the Fuji would be useful mostly for lower light or for action shooting where you might want faster shutters. But for most indoor shooting you can usually use flash instead and still get good results with ISO 100-200 without using higher ISO. One consideration might be how large you want to print. Steve says:

Quote:
While the FX07 does offer good image quality when you look at the price, it is only average for a 7-megapxiel model. While exposure is accurate and colors are richly saturated, I noticed a bit more noise than many other cameras in this class, even at ISO 100 (which is the lowest setting possible.) You can see what I mean by looking at our ISO examples on the samples page. Our people shots turned out very nice when viewed at the typical screen size (about 20-35%, depending on your screen size and resolution settings), however, at 100% you can again see above average amounts of noise in areas of low contrast (shadows.) While this was a bit disappointing, don't let this discourage you completely. It's very unlikely you will see anything in your typical 4x6-inch print. I made a letter size print of the P1010040.JPG on the samples page, and it turned out nice, only under critical inspection was I able to see any of the noise.

I expect the FX12 will be similar, though they have possibly improved in that (though both are 7.1MP and "Venus III" processing). I would expect the FX07 to be a bit better in good outdoor light, , with sharper more detailed images, but the F31 to be more versatile in less optimal lighting conditions, and maybe have cleaner output for very large prints.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 3:53 PM   #6

kenbalbari thank very much for your help so far

i didn't know that the f31 doesn't bring the batery charger. thats a problem and the f20 doesn't bring it either.
in the fuji the option go to f40 instead or the f30 if pixmania still have them in stock

so the fx12 is equal to the fx07 but with wider lens... i'm used to the 28mm of my minolta but i guess that the diference to 35mm would'n bother me
the unlimited burst mode is availlable in fx12 too? the fx12 is cheaper than the fx07...
i can also get the fx3 under 200€ ($270)with a 512mb SD so that will be in the list from now on.

i'm open to other sugestions... the use will be mostly outdoor, but with some indoors too. portraits and monuments/landscape will be the most subjects.
i expect lifelike colors andlow noise. the prints will 10x15 (about half A4 sheet or less(don't know the measurements u use in your country)) and once in a while A4

i've seen some nikons L serie but i've read that they are very slow
i've heard very good of ricoh but it's a bit expensive
i was was also impressed with the samsung s600 quality for the $160 price

any other opinions are more than welcome

ps: just don't want canon... the Axxx Series are not very pocketable and the ixus are too expensive
don't like sony (expensive and miserable assistance)
something in the lumix/fuji design

Old May 28, 2007, 8:11 AM   #7

please?? :?
Old May 28, 2007, 10:07 AM   #8

D3v1l wrote:
Quote:
please?? :?
A different model, but the Panasonic TZ3 is very pocketable, costs $299 and has a 10X optical zoom, starting at 28mm, with little to no distortion. Here's a folder of images I've taken with mine over the past few days..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2900447#156043664
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 4:09 PM   #9

thanks you for your answer
that camera is on sale for about $460 here... thats totally outside my budget
Old May 30, 2007, 4:48 PM   #10

:?:?