Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 23, 2007, 6:15 PM   #1

at the moment, I can't decide on which maker to buy? I'm interested in buying a new digital camera, but I'm not sure which maker to look at.

I heard Canon is good, but I also heard the same for Nikon.

Basically, this is what I want:

- Great photo quality
- Good video recording
- Good Battery Life
- Good selection of features/settings for pictures
- Not too big nor heavy
- Decently slim
- Picture quality to print bigger than 8 X 11

Any suggestions?

Is this (http://wize.com/digital-cameras/reviews/canon-powershot-sd550-ixus-750-digital-camera) a good Canon camera?
brian.edwards.foster@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2007, 12:57 AM   #2

Point and shoot that you described would be a horse race between Canon, Casio and Fuji and not in that order.

You should check the reviews on this site. I can sayanything about the model you are looking at though.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 7:41 AM   #3

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
at the moment, I can't decide on which maker to buy? I'm interested in buying a new digital camera, but I'm not sure which maker to look at.

I heard Canon is good, but I also heard the same for Nikon.

Basically, this is what I want:

- Great photo quality
- Great photo quality
- Good video recording
- Good Battery Life
- Good selection of features/settings for pictures
- Not too big nor heavy
- Decently slim
- Picture quality to print bigger than 8 X 11

Any suggestions?

Is this (http://wize.com/digital-cameras/reviews/canon-powershot-sd550-ixus-750-digital-camera) a good Canon camera?
Addressing your specific needs I have some comments:

Great photo quality: Most of the them will give decent results under average conditions but under low light conditions is where we start to see the differences. Some cameras exhibit a lot of undesirable picture "noise" and others that remove the noise remove too much picture detail. I went with a Fuji F30, which handles noise very well and I have gotten some great low light shots,but there are others that do well also. I am primarily a digital SLR shooter and use a pocket cam for convenience. I hope I'm not coming off as snobbish, but by nature many of us who are DSLR enthusiasts or professional aremore demanding in terms of what we expect from a camera. The Fujis are very popular with many DSLR shooters who occasionaly rely on a pocket cam. That's not to say there aren't other good cameras out there.

Good video recording: I don't believein using a digicam for video but I can understand those desiring not to buy a camcorder or having that feature when it is only convenient to carrry one. Understand that most pocket cams have limitations in in video features. For example, my Fuji can not zoom in or out once you start recording. I'm not sure if many of them have that limitation. There are diferences in recording quality and total recording time but that will also vary with the size of the memory card.

Good Battery Life: I haven't had any problems with battery life and would not buy a camera based on how long a battery lasts. There are much more important features too consider.I do reccomend buying an extra battery or two depending on your needs. Some people like to buycameras that can run on AA batteries and I think there are some that can run on rechargeable and AAs.When I was deciding what to buy batteries never entered the picture. (no pun intended)

Good selection of features/settings for pictures: I think you probably mean scene settings like portraits, sunsets, landscape, B&W, nightime, etc. I think you need to do a direct comparison, but when considering features, you may or may not want to consider models that have some manual capabilities.

Not too big nor heavy.... Decently slim:I bundled these two needs together because they sort of go hand in hand. I think every manufacturer can more or less meet this need and I reccomend that you trythem out in person beforemaking your final choice. It really is important that a camera feel right but most compacts should be acceptable.

Picture quality to print bigger than 8 X 11: I'm not sure that any digicam will give you satifactory results beyond 8X11 but that depends on your expectations. Unfortuantly consumer digicams have a drawback due to the inherintly small sensor size. I'm not saying you won't be happy with the results of the best of the bunch but usually going beyond 8 X 11 requires a digital SLR.

At the time I was deciding to buy a digicam I was seriously considering Canon. The models from Canon that I was considering had issues with LCDs that were cracking very easily so I ruled them out. That may no longer be an issue since that was over a year ago, but I reccomend browsing the forums for any potential issues with any model you consider.

meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:13 PM   #4

While Nikon is a strong number 2 to Canon in the digital SLR market (as well as a longtime strong cotender in film cameras), they really haven't been a big player in compact digital cameras.

Second to Canon right now in that market is probably Sony, with Fuji not quite as large, but deserving to be included that group right now on the strength of their most recent offerings. Kodak and Olympus both seem to have decent sales, but if their compact cameras stand out it's probably more for ease of use and customer service ont the part of Kodak, and build quality on the part of Olympus. Casio is strong particularly in the ultra compact market, more for performance, features and design than image quality. Pansonic's offerings with Leica branded lenses (and IS) often produce outstanding images in good outdoor light, but struggle more indoors or in poor light.

If you are looking for a camera slim enough to pocket, Canon and Sony, or possibly Fuji or Casio are likely your best bets.

As for print sizes, here's a good reference:
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...mera-pixel.htm

Basically, even a 5MP camera is capable of fine art quality prints at 6" x 9", and probably will still be good at 8" x 12". And an 8MP camera in theory would be about fine art quality at 8" x 12", and still good at about 10" x 15".

The problem is, with the small sensors on the compact cameras, many of them will be noisy even at ISO 100, especially ones with more than about 7MP. If it's not a clean 8MP file, it may not print as large as you might think from the above. You can still probably get some pretty good prints at 8x10 and above from many, especially of well exposed photos taken in good light, but if you go too much larger very often, or want large prints from less than optimal lighting conditions, you might want a larger sensor camera.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2007, 3:26 AM   #5

For what it's worth, I picked up a Nikon D-40X last week
austintarkus is offline   Reply With Quote