Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 25, 2007, 8:39 AM   #1

Hi everyone,

I own a Sony Cybershot DSC-P72 3MP and this camera has done a great job thru the years. Now I'm looking to buy a new one and will like to stay at Sony because I have 4 memmory sticks 2GBs each and have no other use for them, but is not a show stoper to look for alternatives.

The main reasons to change are the slow speed processing the picture when using flash and that now I'm taking pictures of merchandise for my web page and this is done on a room of my house at night (no good quality with P72).

My concern is that I used this weekend a Cybershot 6MP (don't no the model) from a friend but the mayority of the pictures were moved, blur or not as crisp and clean as the P72. So now I'm worried about getting a new Sony.

I don't want to go over the $300. Any advice will be appreciated.

Albertro
Albertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2
Administrator

Albertro wrote:
Quote:
I own a Sony Cybershot DSC-P72 3MP and this camera has done a great job thru the years. Now I'm looking to buy a new one and will like to stay at Sony because I have 4 memmory sticks 2GBs each and have no other use for them, but is not a show stoper to look for alternatives.
If you're using the full size Memory Stick media your P72 was designed for, I'm not sure that any current Sony models can even use them. You'd need to go through the compatibility chart at Sony to see.

Most of the newer Sony models have gone to the smaller Memory Stick Duo format.

You can get adapters to use the newer Memory Stick Duo and Duo Pro cards in models that normally use the full size Memory Stick Pro Cards like your P72 was designed for.

But, not the other way around (since the original Memory Stick cards are physically too large to fit in newer cameras designed specifically for Memory Stick Duo).

Are these the full size Sony Memory Stick or Memory Stick Pro Cards, or are you using Memory Stick Duo cards with an adapter?

Here is a compatibility chart. Note the O designations in the Memory Stick Pro columns means that a Duo (physically smaller) card is needed.

http://esupport.sony.com/EN/info/mspro-camera.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:16 AM   #3

JimC

The ones I have are the smaller ones (Memory Stick Duo) they have the adapter to fit into de P72. This camera have serv well and I plan to keep it. But I'm looking for an upgrade to her. As I state, I will like a Sony but I'm willing buy another that do the job I need. I want a Point and Shoot camera that I can take pictures of the family and also of the merchandise I will advertise. (usually purses and jewelry)

Thanks,

Albertro
Albertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4
Administrator

Good, because I didn't see anything resembling a current camera model that still uses the full size Memory Stick media. :-)

If you look at the reviews for a specific megapixel range here (for example, 6-7 Megapixels), you'll see the media type in the far right hand column of the list of cameras that comes up).

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

A good place to start your search would be the Best Cameras List

That's where Steve keeps a list of models designed to be a good value within a market niche. It's a "rolling list" (models get removed and replaced as time passes).

Make sure to read the review conclusion sections for any camera you consider. That's where Steve discusses performance, image quality and more.

But, from my perspective, I'm not sure you'd be improving anything with a newer camera if you buy a similar model for what you want to use most of the images for (Web posting). The sensor in your P72 is a pretty good one, and it's larger than the sensors you'll find in most newer Point and Shoot models. It's not going to be using an aggresive noise reduction like many newer models, and it's probably going to have a bit better dynamic range, too. 3MP is plenty for posting to web. Heck, you can get pretty decent 8x10" prints from 3MP.

I wouldn't upgrade to another similar model without a good reason, unless it offered something that may be of benefit (ability to use external flash, etc.).

I don't keep up with every nuance of the newer camera models. So, perhaps some Sony users will chime in.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote