Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2007, 3:03 AM   #1

All right, don't laugh but I am upgrading from the awful piece of equipment called the HP Photosmart 612....Done laughing?

Anyway, I have been looking at the Canon Powershot A 630 and the SD1000. I am leaning towards the A630 because the slimness isn't really necessary for me if I get a better picture. I need help since as I told you already I am upgrading from a very basic camera.

A few questions:

Is there really a big difference between Digic II and III?

Is the Digic II considered old already?

Any other suggestions for cameras?

I would like some manual features to learn on this camera.

Also, I am only looking at Canon because I know it is a good company and I had an awesome 35mm Canon AF35M back in the 80s that took absolutely beautiful pictures. Unfortunately it broke. My point is that I am not married to Canon if there is better. It is just that this A630 is only $192 at Walmart Online.

And last but not least, battery life is very important to me. My HP 612 dies in about 1 hour using 4 1600 MaH NIMH batteries. I can't stand it. I need something that will actually last.
RoGuE1230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 5:56 AM   #2

THe A630 is a pretty decent camera, with an excellent battery life of close to 500 shots. It also has above average low light capability, better than Canon's other compacts at least. You can't go very wrong with this buy.

You could also consider Fuji's F30 or F31FD. The F31FD is the same as the F30 except with the face detection feature. These cameras are considered to be the best cameras for low light photography without the flash, an area many compacts fail in. They are tad slimmer and lighter than the A630. They have a longer lasting battery life of about 580 shots. The ISO capability is fabulous with a range of 100 to 3200 with quality way better than the competition at all levels. They also use a relatively larger sensor size at 1/1.7", compared with the Canon A630.

Check out the review here:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F30/F30A.HTM
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 11:33 PM   #3

Anyone else?
Old May 26, 2007, 11:34 PM   #4

Anyone else?
Old May 27, 2007, 9:29 AM   #5

As Shamatt has said, the Fuji F30 series camera take better low-light (no flash) photos than any other p&s on the market. However, if you take primarily outdoor photos, or with flash, I would lean more toward the Canon A630. I had an A620 and loved the handling of it, as well as the photo quality, particularly inoutdoor situations. One flaw that has plagued the smaller Fujis is purple fringing in high-contrast, sunny areas.

In the interest of full disclosure, my current camera is the Fuji S6000fd, which uses the same sensor as the F30, and I love it. Although I hate the xD card format.

The Fuji doesn't do better in low-light/no flash situations just because of its sensor size - it is actually a different *type* of sensor altogether than what other cameras use. The A630's sensor size is only slightly smaller than the F30's at 1/1.8". BTW, I believe the SD1000 uses a 1/2.5" sensor, which is small in comparison.

Canon's A-series have long been noted as ideal cameras for novices (such as myself) to cut their photographic teeth. In addition to producing excellent images, the A630 has a bevy of scene modes and manual functions, and IMO handles extremely well. Unless you need the slimness of the SD1000 (and you state you don't), I would get the A630 as it can produce better images than the SD1000.

re: the batteries, the 1600mah are pretty low-powered, which is contributing to your camera's short "live" time while taking pictures. Also, the batteries do have a finite lifetime, and slowly wear down over time. Pick up some new 2500/2700 mah rechargeables and you'll be able to take hundreds of photos at a clip with your new camera.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:20 AM   #6

Thanks. I am mianly buying this now because I am going on a cruise in a few weeks and my HP has incredible amounts of noise indoors even with flash. I use the flash a lot so I am not worried about using it in dark places without flash. I may go ahead and buy it today.
Old May 28, 2007, 3:00 AM   #7

Is there a big difference between the Digic II and Digic III? I am going later today to buy this camera.

I would love some reassurances that I am buying the right thing.
Old May 28, 2007, 11:40 AM   #8

Any differences between Digic II and Digic III in terms of image quality are negligible. Again, as the A630 uses a much larger sensor than the SD1000, and also perhaps a sharper lens, it will produce superior photos.
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 1:10 PM   #9

Okay, thanks for helping me out. I went to Fry's and it was $230. The online Wal-Mart price is $192, so I will just have it shipped.