Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2007, 3:39 PM   #1

Sadly so I recently broke my old Sony Digital Camera and I'm in need of a new one but the market has changed so much since the first time I bought a Digital Camera! I was looking into cameras and some have higher ISO and Image stabilizer but what camera or specification should I look at? I have seen the Sony DSC-T100R and it looks okay to me but does Sony still make any good cameras? I mean I need a camera that I can use to take good pictures of my trips in Europe and Yosemite park, then it would also need to take decent pictures of small prints on computer parts.
aznpotpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 5:50 PM   #2

You might want to give a very good and a comprehensive look at the Consumer DSLR cameras. Their prices has fallen through the $(US) 500.00 mark. With a DSLR camera you can quite radically improve the IQ of your digital photos. It might be worth a good look. It might surprise you a whole lot.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 6:15 PM   #3

Fuji f31fd
Tom Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 7:22 PM   #4

I own several Fuji cameras. While they are indeed very good, and are high ISO qualified perhaps, you have take a good lookat abit further than the just the digicaml camera category. In as much as DSLR cameras have rather abruptly "crashed" through the $(US) 500.00 barrier, these cameras are now at or very close indeed to the digicam category.

So, take a deep breath, and seriously look at the Consumer DSLR category cameras. You might indeed find a great digital camera that can handle high ISO numbers with little to no noise. The difference is price has become quite small. 'Just take a look won't you!

MT/Sarah
Old May 26, 2007, 8:53 PM   #5

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
You might want to give a very good and a comprehensive look at the Consumer DSLR cameras. Their prices has fallen through the $(US) 500.00 mark. With a DSLR camera you can quite radically improve the IQ of your digital photos. It might be worth a good look. It might surprise you a whole lot.

MT/Sarah
I couldn't find any DSLR for $500, thats why I went with a small portable camera! I check Bestbuy and Circuitcity. All their DSLR were well above $500. Can you show me this sub $500 DSLR? I like the SLR quality but I really want something small that I can hide easily from people though.
aznpotpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 9:11 PM   #6

aznpotpie wrote:
Quote:
mtclimber wrote:
Quote:

MT/Sarah
I couldn't find any DSLR for $500, thats why I went with a small portable camera! I check Bestbuy and Circuitcity. All their DSLR were well above $500. Can you show me this sub $500 DSLR?
Don't hold your breath

I keep seeing this statement over and over on this site. But I have yet to see a DSLR that will be less $600 out the door. Add to that the cost of extra proprietary thus expensive batters. a second lens (which you will mostly want fairly soon) and before you know it you have a pretty heavy investment. Been looking at used ones myself but that is a gamble I'm not sure I want to take.

tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 1:09 PM   #7

If you want a compact camera, a thread just posted on the Panny Talk forum at DPReview,Ming TheinfromJapan has just posted images from the new12MpixLUMIX DMC-FX100, these shots look very nice up to and including ISO 400, I use a Sony W100 and am very happy with it, ISO 400 being no problem,ISO 800 with pp,now being discontinued and can be found at a good price, the 12 Mpix W200 is due for release this week, but I would advise waiting for the pro reviews as it also has the Bionz chip the same as the troubled H9-H7-W90-W-80-T100 which is causing a lot of contraversy with IQ.

Ming Thein thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=23384744
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 1:27 PM   #8

Verification!

www.buydig.com and www.beachcamera.com both have the Pentax K100 DSLR equipped with the Pentax 18-55mm lens for $479.00 with free shipping. Please just go to www.pricegrabber.com as I did just now and you will see that DSLR cameras are indeed selling for LESS THAN $(US) 500.00.

MT/Sarah
Old May 27, 2007, 2:21 PM   #9

There's also a $50 rebate available on that K100D (with 18-55mm) which brings the final cost down to about $430. I think it's still possible to find the K110D for around $400, but there's no rebate on it now, so it's not worh saving the $30 when you can have IS.

The E-500 is available for around $500 with kit lens, $600 with two lens kit. The Nikon D40 is available for aroun $530 shipped with it's 18-55mm lens from the same stores (check the review pages for links). And I recently purcheased an E-330 two lens kit for myself for $600 from Adorama (though it may not be the best choice for a beginner).

Also, the Pentax models use AA batteries, if that's really what you want.

Now, if you really need the long telephoto zoom, or the lighter weight and convenience, a case can certainly be made for the digicams as well. But I agree with MT that anyone looking in that range, especially in need of high ISO capability, ought to at least be aware of what's available.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 5:47 PM   #10

The Sony DSC-T100R is a very compact camera with a high specification. My wife has a similar sizedCasio compact and takes good pictureswith it. She loves it- her only complaint is the lack of viewfinder in bright sunlight. If your old Sony had an optical viewfinder you may miss this feature with a very small camera. Sony make a very good superzoom camera, DSC-H5,with the same size 3" LCD as theT100R, and this is a very versatile camera for holiday pictures. Auto pictures are very reliable with vibrant colours and the 12x optical zoom is good fun and great for wildlife. It has been recently superceded, but is probably still available at a reduced price.

There are other similar good models from Panasonic, Canon, Fuji, and Olympus. Any of these will give you more capability thanan ultra compact, but are larger. A DSLR will be superior for indoor use, but you will have to "tweak" the camera settings more than a compact or superzoom for outddoor use. Although the entry level DSLR prices are good value now, generally the kit lens will have less "zoom" than the DSC-T100R.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote