Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 26, 2007, 3:44 PM   #1

Hi!

I really don't know what to buy.

I'm choosing betweed these:

Canon EOS 30D
Nikon D200
Nikon D80

In the future I like to buy a model like Canon EOS 1ds Mark III or Nikon D2Xs etc. and I want to reuse the objectives I'll buy to the cam now.

All the cams I choosing from did well on steves tests and when I'm reading others experiences of them It's both good and bad regardles model.

If you who knows more about these cam's wich would you buy and why?

Sorry if my english sucks, I'm from Sweden :-)

// Mike
fsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2007, 9:50 PM   #2

Mike-

Just a personal opion, but just might have a few more long term options by going the Canon Route. Nikon is great. I shoot a lot of Nikon, but you know for sure that Canon will always be there, especially for the upper end of their product line.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2007, 10:02 PM   #3

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Mike-

Just a personal opion, but just might have a few more long term options by going the Canon Route. Nikon is great. I shoot a lot of Nikon, but you know for sure that Canon will always be there, especially for the upper end of their product line.

MT/Sarah
LOL I laugh becuase I can remember when the exact opposite would have been said. Back when Nikon was THE professional camera. Just goes to show you never know about these things.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 12:17 AM   #4

I'd look at the lens selection and decide that way, if there isn't some specific feature you wantthat one of the camera holds over the other (all of the cameras have excellent image quality). The one exception might be sports photography, where the Canon does seem to edge out Nikon, so it partly depends on what type of photography you want to get involved with (I don't own either one, I use Pentax and am very happy with it).

I'm of the opinion that one should buy the best lenses they can afford and get a less expensive camera (many times the extra cost is due to bells and whistles, rather than image quality improvement). A mediocre lens will always take mediocre pictures, no matter what camera it is on, and the lens will out-live the camera (I'm happily using lenses on my digital camera thatI bought over 25 years ago for my first film SLR).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 10:59 AM   #5

Harriet/Mtngal has given you very good advice-

One of the largest factors, IMO is simply this:do the camera's capabilities match, very well, your own style of shooting?

Then put more investment into the lenses,than the camera body. Camera bodies change quite frequently, good glass is always a great advantage. So you ought to look rather closely at the lenses available in each system. Are those the lenses that match your style of shooting? If the lenses match, you are longwaydown the road toward your final decision.

MT/Sarah
Old May 27, 2007, 2:56 PM   #6

Thanks for you're tip.

I have looked at the lenses and it seams to be the same lenses (EF) for both DSLR and analog SLR for Canon. Nikon has the DX lenses for there DSLR's matching the x1.5 sensor. And if I choose Nikon then it could happen that they change to full frame sensor as standard and I'll like to buy a new body and all my DX lenses are wasted. So I thing I'll go for Canon even if they can't make there mind on what sensor size they are going to use. All I need is to do some math before I buy there lenses to see which one fits for my needs.

//Mike

Old Jun 3, 2007, 5:22 AM   #7

Okey, I made my choice. I'd buy the Canon EOS 1D Mark III.

I just love that camera and I will have it for many years so in the long run it's not that expencive. I'll start with the Canon EF 24-105/4L IS USM lens as well.

Thanks all for your answers.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:07 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Fabulous camera. Should last you for 5+ years easily, and quality doesn't really cost much more in the long run.

Very nice lens too, mine constantly amazes me. (On a 5D).

Good luck.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 6:12 AM   #9

I agree, thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:37 AM   #10

Congratulations, fsck-

You have made a great choice in both the camera and the lens. Have fun and post some photos when you have a chance.

Sarah