Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2007, 10:09 AM   #1

i train dogs in schutzhund and like taking pics of them in protection work (jumping through the air for the sleeve) i have an minolta a200 but it has a slight pause before it takes the pic which causes me to miss the shot. can i get rid of this pause or will i need to get another camera to take the picture as soon as i press the button. i am a beginer so i don't know about all the hoopla, if i need another camera what do you recommend. i am not looking to enter any contest just want good clear pictures. just an example of what i am taking pics of, you see how easy it would be to miss
Attached Images

brasfieldjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 11:35 PM   #2

You will have the least shutter lag in a current generation DSLR.ThedSLRs will also have the best high ISO performance allowing high shutter speed to stop motion.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 12:31 AM   #3

Oh Boy here we go again "Buy a DSLR" Buy a DSLR!!!"

When you do, can I take the A200 of your hands for a good price it's an excellent camera.

For the type of shots you want, you do have to learn a bit of timing. With practice you will get it.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 12:53 AM   #4

As far as I know, the pause between pushing the shutter button and when it takes the picture is fixed - you can either anticipate the action a bit and press the shutter a hair early to get the timing right, or get another camera with less delay. If you want to freeze the action of the dog better, you would need to either raise the ISO to get a faster shutter speed (and deal with extra noise) or buy a camera with a faster lens (the aperture would need to be bigger- lookfor smaller"f" numbers). The A200 is a very nice camera - so does anyone know if the newer p&s cameras have less shutter lag (I don't know about that)? I know a dSLR would, but it might not be the best choice for you.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 7:57 AM   #5

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
As far as I know, the pause between pushing the shutter button and when it takes the picture is fixed - you can either anticipate the action a bit and press the shutter a hair early to get the timing right, or get another camera with less delay. If you want to freeze the action of the dog better, you would need to either raise the ISO to get a faster shutter speed (and deal with extra noise) or buy a camera with a faster lens (the aperture would need to be bigger- lookfor smaller"f" numbers). The A200 is a very nice camera - so does anyone know if the newer p&s cameras have less shutter lag (I don't know about that)? I know a dSLR would, but it might not be the best choice for you.

The DSLR has shutter lag too. The problem with point and shoots is the video lag from the viewfinder. It makes composing the photo less accurate.

With the DSLR, you need to anticipate the shot and release the shutter early as your tracking the dog through the viewfinder. I'd start by when your dog is starting to push off to jump. Keep the dog centered by panning and you will get a shot.

I train dogs too, but for a different purpose. I think you'll find the DSLR less frustrating it getting those shots.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 8:39 AM   #6

not getting rid of the a200 it is much better than me and i have alot to learn with it, i still have a sony mavica that is six years old (floppy disk) and it has shot some great shots. but how would an rebel 350d work becouse i like to take pictures of my kids at bush gardens and such. are there any photography for dummy books that help?

very nice pics of the spaniel. i love hunting dogs, in schutzhund protection makes for the best pictures but the tracking portion is by far my farorite.
Old May 28, 2007, 8:48 AM   #7

Typically you can reduce shutter lag by pre-focusing & holding the shutter half-way down. In this type of shot you would pre-focus on the man in the suit and fully depress the shutter when the dog arrives. You'll still have some delay but it won't be as much.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 9:00 AM   #8

brasfieldjames wrote:
Quote:
not getting rid of the a200 it is much better than me and i have alot to learn with it, i still have a sony mavica that is six years old (floppy disk) and it has shot some great shots. but how would an rebel 350d work becouse i like to take pictures of my kids at bush gardens and such. are there any photography for dummy books that help?

very nice pics of the spaniel. i love hunting dogs, in schutzhund protection makes for the best pictures but the tracking portion is by far my farorite.
The 350D is a fine camera. Its the king of low light (among entry level cameras), so if there are events held indoors, it may be the best choice. It also has an excellent AF system. It was a bit small for my hands, so that may be a factor for you also.

If you decide to go with the 350D and if you can swing a few extra bucks, I'd pass on the kit lens and buy something like the Sigma AF 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC macro instead.
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 11:54 AM   #9

tjsnaps wrote:
Quote:
Oh Boy here we go again "Buy a DSLR" Buy a DSLR!!!"

When you do, can I take the A200 of your hands for a good price it's an excellent camera.

For the type of shots you want, you do have to learn a bit of timing. With practice you will get it.
Actually I'm a P&S user, Z612 to be exact. Anticipating action and timing the relaeasehelps, shutter priority helps, panning helps but the bottom line is the best P&S cameras the lag is 1/10 sec with everything preset and the dSLRs are at 1/50 sec. lag.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 5:28 PM   #10

thanks guys for the help i have tried preseting the focus, white balence, and anticipation and it takes the pictures almost instantly (plenty fast for me)

i still might get a 350d becouse i have a friend who just stepped up and will give me his with lens for $400.00