Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 27, 2007, 6:51 PM   #1

Hi. First of all, i know there are thousands of threads similar to this, but i really need to clear my doubts about certain things..

Ok.. so i am looking foward to buy my first SLR camera, but ive read soooo many things about these two cameras thati amreally confused. Ive read that the kit lens of the Canon is not that good.. so my question here is .. Why ?? What is the difference between the Nikon 40d kit lens ? I mean, is there a CLEAR difference to everyone, or just pro photographers which like to go deep into details ? Take in consideration that im just initiating in digital SLR, so i may not even notice the difference.

What im mainly looking foward to is :SHARP FHOTOS. I really HATE blurriness.. so, which of these two cameras gets closer to what im looking for ? I am looking for the best image quality.. which one of these cameras would give me that ?? The difference between 6 MP (Nikon) and 8 MP (Canon) has an effect in image quality ?

Also, i have two lenses which belonged to my father and that he used with a Canon EOS 1000f, MANY YEARS AGO, these lenses are: a Sigma UC ZOOM 70-210mm 1:4-5.6 and a Canon ZOOM LENS EF 35-80mm 1:4-5.6...

Now, Would i be able to use these lenses with a Canon Rebel XT ?? The Auto Focus will work fine in these lenses ? Please i really need to know this, because it would make my decision much easier !!

Thanks for reading.. I need your knowledge here !!:!:

Fontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 27, 2007, 8:02 PM   #2

no text
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2007, 8:03 PM   #3

no text
Old May 27, 2007, 8:03 PM   #4

Fontana-

Unfortunately, Canon has changed their lens mounting format several times since 1970. So, those older lenses might not work with a newer Canon DSLR camera.

Let's just approach this from today's standards. The Canon XT can use a wide variety of lenses, both from Canon and third party vendors such as Sigma and Tamron, which can be quite good.

In comparing the kit lenses on both the Canon XT and the Nikon D-40. Most reviewers seem to feel that the Nikon D-40 lens has a small edge over the XT's kit lens.

The Nikon D-40 can use Nikon AF-S lenses and AF-I lenses. The most common of these (there are 24 lenses available for the Nikon D-40) are the Nikkor 18-55mm kit lens and the inexpensive, although quite good Nikkor 55-200mmVR lens.

Here is a photo sample from the Nikkor 18-55mm Nikon kit lens.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old May 28, 2007, 2:53 PM   #5

Fontana-

Here is a photo sample taken with Canon 18-55mm lens. This lens is the so called kit lens for the XT. This particularphoto was taken with my Canon 20D, as my XT is out on loan to a friend.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old May 28, 2007, 4:16 PM   #6

Sarah,

The exif reader I useby Opanda say that both of these photos posted were by the Canon 20D.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 5:02 PM   #7

Thnx for your reply Sarah.

Ok, so neither my Sigma or Canon lens will work with Canon Rebel ? Too bad i cant make any use from them ..

So, given that i will eventually buy a lens at some point.. which camera Body between those i mentioned may be considered better ?? I mean, forgetting about the kit lens and all that for just a moment..

Also, is there aBIG difference between these cameras and the XTi or D40x ? Is it just image size/resolution, or there is an improvement in image quality as well?

Maybe the difference justifies the extra money spent..

Fontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 5:15 PM   #8
Administrator

Fontana wrote:
Quote:
Ok, so neither my Sigma or Canon lens will work with Canon Rebel ?
They should work.

That camera model was introduced in the early 90's, after Canon converted to the EF lens mount in the late 80's (mostly in response to Minolta's conversion to an Autofocus lens mount). Basically, it was an early version of what is known as the Canon Rebel. It was an entry level 35mm film slr.

It's the same EF lens mount as current models use. The Sigma could give you issues (Sigma has a very bad reputation for compatibility issues, since they reverse engineer the lens mount protocols and sometimes miss stuff that newer models employ). I'd probably give it a 50/50 chance of focusing correctly, even though the lens mount is the same as current models. The Canon should be fine.

But, those are very poor quality lenses, and you could buy either one of them for under $50 on the used market from a vendor like keh.com (including a warranty). lol

So, I would not base any camera purchase decisions on having them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007, 7:12 PM   #9

Fontana-

Thanks for the reply. As JimC noted those lenses might work, but it appears to be sort of a 50-50 kind of crapshot. It also appears that I posted the WRONG photo sample from the Nikon D-40. i guess I was in too much of a hurry. I apologize to you. So I will retake the photo and post it with this email.

We know your feelings about blurriness, however please remember that a blurry photo occurs due to any one of the following reasons:

(1) Camera movement.

(2) Shutter speed that is too low for the photo environment.

(3) A poor lens, or the incorrect lens selection.

(4) Sudden subject movement.

Blurriness in photos can be prevented by using good photo technique and a quality camera.

MT/Sarah

Attached Images

Old May 29, 2007, 1:36 PM   #10

Fontana-

The Canon 400D/XTi is certainly deserving of your serious consideration. And there may indeed be a rather attractive one lens solution that would work well with the XTi. Either the Tamron 18-200mm lens or the newer Tamron 18-250mm lens could offer an excellent solution.

I have the Tamron 18-250mm lens on order due to the fact that the older Tamron 18-200mm lens has worked so very well on my Nikon D-50. I will post photos as soon as I receive the Tamron 18-250mm lens.

For now here is a photo from the Tamron 18-200mm len when mounted on my Nikon D-50. I think it did a very good job and it certainly makes an excellent all in one travel lens.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images