Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2007, 10:21 PM   #11

TCav wrote:
Quote:
fldspringer wrote:
Quote:
I believe all three of those use pentamirrors. The only entry level camera that uses a pentaprism is Pentax. All the rest use mirrors.
You are partially correct.The Canon XTi and the Nikon D40 both usepentamirrors. The Sony A-100 uses a pentaprism.

And, in fact, the Pentax K100D and K110D use pentamirrors as well. The K10D is the only Pentax dSLR that uses a pentaprism.
I'm not a Sony expert, so I'll go with what you say. Here's the sources I read:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page2.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydslra100/page4.asp

The *istDS was a pentaprism, went away from it in the DS2 and the two you mentioned, then came back to it in the K10D.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 1:19 AM   #12

The D80 and K10D use a pentaprism. The Alpha is a pentamirror.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 2:58 AM   #13

Appreciate I'm coming late to this debate, but here's my two penn'orth.

I have just bought a Canon 400d with the 18-55mm kit lens. I also bought the Tamron 55-200mm lens too. I've never had my own SLR before so it was a major venture for me.

I based my decision on reviews I'd seen, how it felt in my hands (I have REALLY small hands) - the larger Sony just felt too big to be comfortable, and the fact I'm used to Canons.

I've been very pleased with the handling and feel of the camera and with the quality of the pictures so far. And it's been quite reassuringly simple to work my way through the menu systems - I would have been put off by too many confusing menus.

I have also been impressed with the Canon's manual - my dad needed to buy a Magic Lantern guide to get the best out of his Sony as he found the manual very poor.

As a complete beginner I've also been very pleased with the Tamron lens I bought - it was very *competitively priced* and I've already got some quite nice action shots from it. They look really good to my eyes, though I'm sure some of the more professional/experienced on this forum would pull them to shreds :-)

Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:36 AM   #14

Thanks to all of you for your help, at the end I think that I have reduced to 2 candidates,....

Canon EOS 400D (seems to be hightly recomended for everybody)

Nikon D40x (have already SD memory cards for 512MB, 1GB & 2GB)

Any how as somebody said when i bought my SD600 "the best one is the one that you are most comfortable with and can afford.." it seems that this is also aplicable to DSLR, so I will go to the shop on Saturday and check personally the 3 candidtes, asked also for price of replacmentes (extra battery, memory , lens,.... ) and hope I can already got my first DSLR

tks :-)
chausinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 8:08 AM   #15

The User's Guide and Steve's Review both say the Alpha has a pentaprism. The links to dpreview graciously provided by fldspringer say the Alpha has a pentamirror.

I think dpreview is mistaken.

But I'm not a Sony expert either; I just read the User's Guide, just like I did with the Canon and Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:45 PM   #16

It looks like Sony says "roof-morror type pentaprism". I googled it quickly last night and saw alot of places calling it a pentamirror (actually googled "Sony Alpha penta"). It's apprently not as bright as a traditional pentaprism, but whether it still is in fact a pentaprism I'll leave to someone else.

The relevant point here is probably that it doesn't appear to be too much different from the 400D. Some reviewers seem to prefer the Sony, some the Canon.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 5:07 PM   #17

All SLRs with pentaprisms have "roof mirror type" pentaprisms.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentaprism.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 5:12 PM   #18

You have made a list of excellent entry DSLR cameras. I own the Sony A100 and like the camera very much. The qualities that I like about the camera are:

Fits very well in my hand

Controls are located so that are easy to use

Image stablization in the camera body is great. All my lenses are image stablized.

The quality of photos are excellent

The price of the camera is dropping at the announcement of two new cameras for Sony

3 fps continuous shooting and you can shoot till the card is full

It is fun to operate

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 7:23 PM   #19

Can you give us some photo samples from the Sony A-100 of High ISO setting photos, such as those at ISO 800 or ISO 1600. I don't know it is true or not, but I have been told that the high ISO photos on the A-100 show considerable noise in them. Thanks!

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 5:05 AM   #20

Shit,.... it seems more difficult to take the decision,...

I have yesterday call the shop and ask if they have the 3 cameras available, for check personally on hand, also ask for prices of kits. They have the camera and give me following price ( I know that I can get it cheaper on internet, but for me it is more reliable to do it on a shop where a can go directly and change the camera in 30 days with out cost, and where I can get help when I need, and the difference is abt 100-150euro)

Canon EOS 400D kit 18-55 & 55-2001.108 Euro
Sony Alpha 100 Kit 18-70 & 75-300999 Euro
Nikon D40x Kit 18-55 & 55-200899 Euro

But them came the problem,... the man said "also you have Nikon D80 kit 18-135 for 1.199 Euro"

The big question is Money,.. accordingly to all info it seems that the D80 should be the most recommendable , but has the same price as the Canon in kit with two lens. By the other side the Nikon D40x kit with two lens is the cheaper one, and it seems also that kits lens from Nikon are best,...

Yesterday before I called the shop I was more or less convinced to buy the Canon EOS 400D,..... But now I am more confused, as it seems that the Nikon got better relation price –quality,.... is that true??, for a beginner like me should be better to buy kits with only one lens (abt 100 Euro less on Nikon and 200 on Canon-Sony) or should be better to take al ready kit with the two lens (remember that I have never issued Reflex camera and actually I issued a Canon Ixus 60 (SD600) with 3x zoom and I am very happy with it and photo quality check follows:

You can see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected] which kind of issued I will give to the camera.

When you are talking from "pentaprisma", "pentamirror" or other technical dates for me you are talking un-comprenssive language so please if you where in my position, it means you have a limit of 1200 euros and wish to buy your first DSLR camera, which one will you take. It seems that the best one I can afford is the D80,... but will be really big differences on photos with the EOS400D or D40x ??

chausinho is offline   Reply With Quote