Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2007, 9:06 AM   #21

Quote:
It seems that the best one I can afford is the D80,... but will be really big differences on photos with the EOS400D or D40x ??
No, for the most part, it won't make a difference on the photos. The exception might be action or sports, where the autofocus on the D40x might come up a bit short as far as tracking a moving subject. But the actual photo quality would be right there alongside the others; debateable which is better.

The advantages to the other cameras are mostly better controls for quickly changing settings. And features for dust prevention, or on the Alpha, IS. You will probably notice the D80 has a bit better build, and better viewfinder (whatever they want to call it).

You might check if that Nikon 55-200 is the newer VR version of the lens. I know they are selling the new 55-200 VR in some of the kits, but it's also possible they could be selling you the older 55-200.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:39 AM   #22

Will try to get info abt this, they have also web page and for the kit give following image,.....

but I am unable to read which lens is Could be "55-200 DX" ??? , are there big diferences???

is there also big difference with CCD and CMOS ???

Defenitely should be the old one http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/133/cat/13
chausinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:54 AM   #23

Don't worry about CCD/CMOS. The older 55-200 is also good. The new one is probably about $100 (or euros) more; good if you want the VR (vibration reduction).

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:12 AM   #24

I believe that most everyone that has posted to this topic has said that all the cameras you're looking at are really fine cameras that have really fine lenses. In addition, I think that everyone will agree with me when I say that the more money you are willing to spend, the better the camera you can purchase.

That said, I still think that the limited selection of lenses available for the D40x would keep me from considering it, but if you can comfortably limit your lens choices to those that work with the D40x, then you should take advantage of it's low price.

But, and again I think everyone will agree with me, the biggest single criterion should be how well you'll be able to use them. That is, are the common controls where you expect them to be?Does the shutter release naturally fall under your right index finger as you grasp the camera? Are the other important controls that you would use while operating the camera, all within reach of you right thumb and right index finger? Can you clearly see all the information in the viewfinder?

That is, how well will you be able to use the camera?

No one here cananswer that question for you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:12 AM   #25

I own the Nikon D-40X and the Nikkor 55-200mmVR lens. It is a good setup, but make sure to get the 55-200mmVR lens if at all possible. There is a BIG difference between the new and the old lens.40X cameras!

BTW ,TCav, there are now 40 lenses available for the D-40/D-40X cameras.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:35 AM   #26

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
Can you give us some photo samples from the Sony A-100 of High ISO setting photos, such as those at ISO 800 or ISO 1600. I don't know it is true or not, but I have been told that the high ISO photos on the A-100 show considerable noise in them. Thanks!

MT/Sarah

I don't have an A100 but there are samples on Dpreview. The first link has two photos at the end; one 800; one 1600. The second link has more but you have to scroll through

http://dpreview.com/gallery/sonya100_preview/

http://dpreview.com/gallery/sonya100_samples1/
Bennigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:39 AM   #27

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
BTW ,TCav, there are now 40 lenses available for the D-40/D-40X cameras.
Yes, thank you. I saw that there are 23 lenses from Nikon and 17 lenses from Sigmacurrently in production that work withthe D40 & D40x. I also saw that there are 49 lenses from Nikon, 45 from Sigma, 18 from Tamron, and 6 from Tokina, for a total of 118, currently in production that work with the Nikon D80.

And that doesn't count all the discontinued lenses that are available for the D80 on the used market. I own 5 lenses, but I only bought one of them new, so the used lens market is a significant factor for me. How is the market for used D40x lenses?
Old May 30, 2007, 10:52 AM   #28

..........we came once again to the "the best one is the one that you are most comfortable with and can afford,.."

In this case should be the best lens and the best camera.

But as previously said I am absolutely beginner with DSLR or reflex, at least at the begin will take some time to know for what is each button/control (I love to explore options and results learning by my own). I will use the camera as amateur for some macro, landscape, sunset, sea, river,..... May be in the future (half year, or one, or two) when I am familiarised with DSLR, controls lens and every thing, them I will star to search for a good lens (I know that always on Kits there are the low category lens, but for a beginner should be enough, or not ??)

At the end of it all are resumed in that, if you have my limit money (1200 Euro) and selected this three candidates that accordingly to everybody are good cameras, which one will you buy, Canon as it seems that in the future could have the biggest option for upgrade lens/body, Sony with his Stabilisation (or vibration reduction), Nikon that seems has the best lens in the kit but could be more limited for future upgrade. For an absolutely beginner,.... like me,... which one will be easy and best?? Or have better instructions manual......

Have this 3 cameras really same quality that will allow me to let the choice only on his ergonomic, and my sensation when handled the camera??
chausinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:07 AM   #29

chausinho wrote:
Quote:
But as previously said I am absolutely beginner with DSLR or reflex ...

Have this 3 cameras really same quality that will allow me to let the choice only on his ergonomic, and my sensation when handled the camera??
As a beginner, yes.

If you buy a camera that you feel uncomfortable using, then you won't use it (or you won't use it as often as you might.) So everything we tell you here will have been for naught.

Take your time. Handle each one carefully. Use the common controls (zoom, shutter speed, aperature, autofocus, shutter release.) Get a feel for how you would use each camera while you're taking pictures.

You may find that you feel equally comfortable handling two, or even three different cameras. Then, and only then, should you take into consideration what you've read here.

Then make your selection.

Whichever camera you choose, I have absolutely no doubt that you will be happy with it.
Old May 30, 2007, 11:17 AM   #30

This is like buying a car. Everyone can tell you that a Volkswagen is the best car for you, but if you can't get in it, or you find that the seats are uncomfortable, or you can't ever find the windhield wiper control, or you keep missing 2nd gear,then you're not going to be happy with it.

You need to take a new camera for a test drive.