Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2007, 10:23 AM   #31

TCav wrote:
Quote:
First, the Nikon D40x does not have an internal auto-fucus motor, so it can only auto-focus with lenses that have their own motors. Nikon does have a selection of lenses that will work with the D40x, but while the other cameras you've selected have quite a broad selection of lenses from the manufacturers (especially Canon) and from third parties (Sigma, Tamron, etc.,) the same can not be said about the D40x. But if you can comfortably confine yourself to the lenses that are available to the D40x, then it should serve you well.

I have no real intetrest in the D40 or D40X but I am curious to know if the motorized lenses are compatatible withother Nikons with an internal motor.
Bennigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:26 AM   #32

Bennigan wrote:
Quote:
I have no real intetrest in the D40 or D40X but I am curious to know if the motorized lenses are compatatible withother Nikons with an internal motor.
Yes, they are.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:11 AM   #33

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Bennigan wrote:
Quote:
Yes, they are.
They must cost more than non motorized lenses I imagine. I'm just thinking if someone buys an a D40 thinking they may upgrade bodies later on, they may be better off with a D80 or other Nikon, or even a Canon or other brand. I'm not sure what the attraction to the D40 is except price, but I'm glad I already have a reliable system that I am happy with and don't have to make choices like this. The DSLRmarket isgetting bogged down lately with some strange compromises and choices. Technology is great but just too complicated these days with so many choices. Then you buy something and before you know it, it's old news.
Bennigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 1:03 PM   #34

Bennigan wrote:
Quote:
They must cost more than non motorized lenses I imagine.
That is certainly true of the Sigma lenses that will autofocus on the D40/D40x, but the Nikon lenses for the D40/D40x seem to be pretty good and are reasonably priced.

Of course, Nikon has a vested interest in providing good, inexpensive lenses for those cameras. They may be keeping the price of those lenses artificially low, or they may be taking shortcuts elsewhere. I don't know.

And if I speculate any further, I will, no doubt, incur the wrath of others. :sad:
Old May 30, 2007, 5:33 PM   #35

Quote:
They must cost more than non motorized lenses I imagine.
I really don't fully understand all this either, but here's my understanding. The HSM motors are more expensive, because they are a more sophisticated ring motor design, which is faster and quieter. But not all in lens motors are of that type.

In fact, both the Canon EOS mount, and the Four-Thirds mount used by Olympus have no mechanical conections between the camera body and lens. Everything the lens gets from the body is electronic. So it's just information, and some power from the battery. So any lens that autofocuses on either of these mounts must have a motor in the body.

This means pretty much all Sigma lenses (as I'm not aware of any not available for Canon). What I don't understand is why these lenses then can't all work with the D40/D40x. I suspect they might really only need to be refitted or reprogrammed in some way in order to co-operate/communicate with the Nikon mount on this. The HSM lenses were likely already designed to do this to use their superior motors.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 8:03 AM   #36

I can definitely see getting a D40 (and I don't even own a Nikon camera, I use Pentax), especially if focus speed is important to you. After having one really mediocre lens, and several top of the line lenses, I know that a budget camera body with a top-of-the-line lens is capable of taking really awesome pictures. Buying a D40 allows more money to get one or two expensive lenses, where a D80 might not. It really does depend on the individual and what their eventual photographic aims are.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 8:12 AM   #37

Mtngal makes a really important point-

DSLR camera bodies change all the time. On the other hand, DSLR lenses, generally speaking, keep their valuefor a much greater time period. The choice of a Nikon D-40, or D-40Xwith a top lens is a really excellent suggestion in my opinion.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 8:32 AM   #38

I agree with the comments others have made here. The Nikon D40x is a fine camera, and it is roughly $200 cheaper than the D80 (not an insignificant amount of money.) And if someone can live with what they'd be leaving behind when buying a less expensive camera, then they should jump at the opportunity. And a beginner is not as likely to notice the difference as, say, a more seasoned photographer.

As a first dSLR, the D40x is a fine choice.
Old May 31, 2007, 8:42 AM   #39

Well at the end the Nikon D40X has one more point on his favor,.. Store special offer with the kit that includes tripod (not know dimension/type) + 2GB high speed memory card (I have already 3 unit SD memory card that could be fit for the camere), and is the cheaper one (supposed all with more or less same quality,.... As I have no interest to become professional photographer, I think that with 40 lens available for amateur use should be enough (also supposed that in the future should be more lens availabe)

Anyhow, Saturday is the "big day",.... will check and handle the three cameras, try to take some photos and test facilities,.. after that will take final decisition and keep you posted what it was,... Actually Nikon 60% vs Canon 40%

Thanks a lot for your help, and information

chausinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 9:49 AM   #40

Well, at the end and after abt two hours talking with the lady at store, handeling the D40x, and EOS400D, also take contact with the NIKON D80, finally I have buy the EOS400D as buttons much better to my hand than the D40x (Sony Alfa 100 camera was described as "not comparable to Canon or Nikon").

Any how D80 seems much better built quality than the EOS, but cost 120euros more than the EOS. Nikon D80 kit has only one lens against two of Canon (18/135 vs 18/55 & 55/200), Canon also includes in the kit battery grip BG-E3 (cost abt 113€ more and allow me to use 2 Canon battery or normal battery/acu) and Nikon nothing else as the lens. Canon is lighter and smaller. The handle of D40x has not convinced me, specially the shot button that I found uncomfortable and also find viewfinder better in the EOS400D or in the D80 than the D40x.

Have taken since yesterday afternoon 152 photos with the camera (have 15 days for change camera with-out any cost for me if I am not happy with it,... so I must make intensive use on this days).

Imagen quality is good, but not big differences on photos taken with my "old" Ixus60. Have made the 80% of the photos using auto mode, and test small number of manual settings (only changed ISO, manual focus instead of AF and WB).

Until now I am happy but as always asking if I have made a good choice or if I should paid some more money for the Nikon D80,…
chausinho is offline   Reply With Quote