Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2007, 8:13 AM   #1

Hi,

1st I would like to say hello as I am new and this is my 1st post. I am consiering buying a new SLR as I am fedup or my Fuju 6900z and my compact camera. These are the two that I have read up on and would like your feedback on which one I should get.

1. Canon 350D

2 Canon 400D

The reviews have been great for both but I have been told that the 350D is superiour. I am new to SLR and will be attending a course :-). I would also like a get an additional lens for the camera, one for all occasions i.e outdoors, sports, nature and family pics so it would be great to get some advice on that too. I've been told to get a lens from 55mm-300mm.

Thanks Guys
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 8:25 AM   #2

I had the 350D great camera i sold it and bought the 400D which i like better than the 350D, but you could buy the 350D cheaper than the 400D but if you do buy just buy the body and buy a better lens, my pick though 400D
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 8:38 AM   #3

Soulman-

The basic difference between the Canon 350D/XT and the Canon 400D/XTi are that the 350 has 8mp while the XTi has 10mp. The image processors are a bit different as well. The XTi also features an imager filter cleaning systemwhich is new to the XTicamera as well. Both cameras have received excellent reviews. The XT, because it was the camera model that the XTi replaced, can probably be found for less money.

The camera is small in size and some folks do not like the rather cramped grip on both the XT and XTi, so is is very important indeed that you actually physically handle both cameras before purchasing them.

Both cameras are very capable and produce excellent images with high IQ. The cameras are available as camera body only, or equipped with the Canon 18-55mm, or the so called, kit lens. The kit lens is a good buy because it is discounted substantially to create the kit package. Most folks don't think so highly about the Canon 18-55mm kit lens. However, when stopped down to F 8.0 or lower it produces rather good images.

If you are looking for a single lens solution, both Sigma and Tamron produce 18-200mm lenses that are very serviceable, although they are not very fast lenses, with the beginning aperture pegged at F 3.5 rather than the usual F 2.8 aperture. Tamron has just recentlyintroduced a 18-250mm F 3.5 lens. There are not many reviews or user reports thus far on that lens. However, it is rather attractive solution because it covers, in 35mm terms ,an effective range of 27mm to 375mm when the 1.5 additive is applied to account for the smaller imager than the normal35mm format. The APS-C imager is physically smaller than the normal 24mm X 36mm 35mm format.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 9:31 AM   #4

While I do not have a Tamron 18-200mm lens for my Canon XT or XTi, I do own the lens in a Nikon mount. So here is a sample photo using the Tamron 18-200mm lens on my Nikon D-50. The photo was taken handheld at the full 200mm mark and it produced a very creditable photo.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2007, 10:20 AM   #5

Soulman-

And here is another photo sample(this time a close-up) from the Tamron 18-200mm lens. Again it looks rather good.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

Old May 29, 2007, 10:28 AM   #6

wow MT great pics, so is the final verdict to get a Canon 400D with the standard lens and also either the sigma or Tamron 18-200mm Lens?
soulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 11:04 AM   #7

Soulman-

If it were me making the decision, I would opt for the XTi body and the Tamron 18-200mm lens. That approach would give you effectively, in 35mm terms, a lens covering the focal lengths from 27mm to 300mm, which is a very nice range.

If you need a close focusing lens for macro or close-up work as well, then get the kit lens in addition to the Tamron 18-200mm lens.The kit lens ( the Canon 18-55mm)is not bad at all when stopped down to F 8 and smaller, and is able to handle close focus quite nicely.

Mt/Sarah
Old May 29, 2007, 12:08 PM   #8

I think one of the biggest improvements in the 400D was the autofocus system, which is both faster and more accurate. The 350D was reasonably fast, but not always accurate. Picture styles is also a useful addition. And changing settings is a bit easier (no set button, better menus). Bigger buffer and faster performance might matter for RAW shooting. The bigger brighter LCD and more megapixels are nice but won't make too much difference to good picture taking. Aside from price, I'm not sure why anyone would prefert the 350D, unless they really like the seperate status LCD.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 12:28 PM   #9

I agree with you, Ken-

Faced with a choice between the Canon 350D/XT anf the XTi/400D cameras, I personally would opt for the XTi/400D. I have owned the XT/350D and it was a very good camera but sometimes had a problem with really accurate focusing.

I am currently shooting with the Canon XTi/400D and find that it is a substantially improved consumer level DSLR camera. The improvements that I really appreciate a lot are the better and faster focusing, and the built-in cleaner for the CMOS imager filter. It makes a great starter DSLR camera.

MT/Sarah
Old May 30, 2007, 5:51 AM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I agree with you, Ken-

Faced with a choice between the Canon 350D/XT anf the XTi/400D cameras, I personally would opt for the XTi/400D. I have owned the XT/350D and it was a very good camera but sometimes had a problem with really accurate focusing.

I am currently shooting with the Canon XTi/400D and find that it is a substantially improved consumer level DSLR camera. The improvements that I really appreciate a lot are the better and faster focusing, and the built-in cleaner for the CMOS imager filter. It makes a great starter DSLR camera.

MT/Sarah
I also agree but mtclimber nice test shots now how about a couple with a compact to see how they compare in IQ why i ask is because i also have a S3 IS and am alway's comparing it with my 400D, though the 400D is better but not by much in IQ, maybe it's me but since your more experienced you could shed some light thanks
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote