Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 29, 2007, 11:59 AM   #1

For years I've been using the Sony DSC-F707 as an infrared camera and have been thrilled with the results. Last week this camera was stolen - so now I'm in the market for a new infrared capable camera.

I don't mean a camera that will take night-shots - I mean a camera which will accept an infrared filter so that I get true infrared daytime shots, like those here: http://www.snavemij.com/photos/

Should I go with the Sony DSC-H9 or perhaps another brand? Insurance might kick in a bit to help with the cost, although it's doubtable.

TIA,

Jim
jimevans_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2007, 2:34 PM   #2

The quick and dirty IR test for digital cameras is to point a TV remote control at the camera lens and press a button. If you can the transmitting IR LED turn on in the camera's LCD then the sensor's sensitivity extends down to the IR range.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 2:41 PM   #3

It's true that that's how to test to see if a camera is IR compatible; however, I'm not asking which camera's are IR compatible or capable, but which camera is best suited for serious IR photography. The Sony camera I had was great; I'm looking for something similar or perhaps a digital SLR IR capable camera.

I'd like to hear from those who do IR photography and would like to know what camera they use and if they're happy with it.

I'm not interested in a point-and-shoot; I'm not trying to figure out which cameras can do IR; I am interested in which digiral camera is the best at IR.

TIA,

Jim
Old May 29, 2007, 2:44 PM   #4

Here's some great help. This guy has many good tips and advice regarding photography:

http://dpfwiw.com/ir.htm#specs
WayuU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 3:08 PM   #5

Yes, I'm familiar with that site. The only problem is that, as far as I can tell, the IR info hasn't been updated since 2004. The Sony F707 camera I had is listed - many models have been released since then but it's difficult to tell if they're IR capable or optimized for IR like the f707 was. And so far, salesmen at camera stores and sites are pretty ignorant about the IR capabilites of their cameras.

I'm hoping to find a camera that has more than 5mp which is as good at IR as my former camera.

Jim
Old May 29, 2007, 4:10 PM   #6

Yes, true. But I read it as there are no cameras anymore with the right sensor for the kind ofgood IR as those old cameras gave, but who knows, could be that he just has not tested anymorecameras after 2004. I still think thattodays cameras can't deliver those great IR results because todays sensors are basically too advanced.
WayuU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 4:12 PM   #7

jimevans_2000 wrote:
Quote:
It's true that that's how to test to see if a camera is IR compatible; however, I'm not asking which camera's are IR compatible or capable, but which camera is best suited for serious IR photography. The Sony camera I had was great; I'm looking for something similar or perhaps a digital SLR IR capable camera.

I'd like to hear from those who do IR photography and would like to know what camera they use and if they're happy with it.

I'm not interested in a point-and-shoot; I'm not trying to figure out which cameras can do IR; I am interested in which digiral camera is the best at IR.

TIA,

Jim
I doubt you'll find that answer here but I Googled on IR photography forums and had several pages of hits. Think you'd get the best answer on those.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:37 AM   #8

There are some cameras designed especially for infrared:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0502/05...noneos20da.asp
http://www.fujifilmusa.com/JSP/fuji/...ductS3UVIR.jsp
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu...7_is-1_pr.html

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 11:26 AM   #9

Thanks, kenbalbari, this helped a lot.

Jim