Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2007, 8:40 AM   #11
sgs

thanks for the advice. I will wait for the review on the s5. just read the review on the h9. Not glowing by any means.
sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:41 AM   #12
sgs

buying both cameras and trying them out is a great idea.thx sgs
Old May 30, 2007, 8:42 AM   #13

sgs wrote:
Quote:
buying both cameras and trying them out is a great idea.thx sgs
Thats what I always do can't go wrong and then you know right away which is the best camera for you.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:18 AM   #14

One thing with dpreview, is that "above average" really means "below average". They actually haven't given an "average" rating since 2003:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 10:27 AM   #15

That is very true, Ken! Buyer beware, please!

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 1:34 PM   #16
sgs

Not liking the review of the Sony H9 Now I'll have to wait to see about the canon s5. Does anyone have any other suggested options for me???????
Old May 30, 2007, 2:47 PM   #17

Your really should handle each camera. Don't let a review make your mind up for you. I have never met a Sony H series camera (H1, H5, and H9)or a Pany UZ (FZ20, FZ30 amd FZ5) that I didn't like. I have had one Canon UZ and it was literally the worst digicam I have ever owned. The S1 had no focus assist and was incapable of focusing quickly.. if at all at the long end of the zoom range. I hated the dinky little LCD. Hopefully Canon has improved that, but it was the only digicam that I ever bought that turned out to be a worthless hunk of plastic for me. You should also look at the Pany FZ8. Different Ultrazooms have different strengths and weaknesses. Pick the one *you* like the best....not the one that some reviewer probably using different criteria may have ranked higher. Bonding with your camera and being a match with each other :-)is not a "rank by numbers" game. You also have have to have a camera capable (fast focus and good zoom) of actually getting the shot before youcan pick knits about the image.

Mercurycu
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 3:52 PM   #18
sgs

good advice ...thx!
Old May 30, 2007, 4:19 PM   #19

sgs wrote:
Quote:
Not liking the review of the Sony H9 Now I'll have to wait to see about the canon s5. Does anyone have any other suggested options for me???????
If I were you I'd take a look at Steve's Best Cameras list http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.htmlin the 10x-12x "Super-Zoom" catagory. You can also look at the entry level DSLR reviews at the same time.

I don't normally make purchase descisions until independent reviews are available because I don't normally "need" the lastest "whizbang" in the market. My self-imposed criteria is "Does the device in question do what I need done better than what I have? Then, is it worth the price differential compared to what I have?"

My choice, made six month's ago, was the Kodak Z612. It has a 35mm-420mm equiv. image stabilized lens, 6MP andI've been very pleased with my results under a variety of conditions. Many consider it to have the best price/performance ratio of all the super-zooms, especially considering the significant price drop after Christmas.

While I've used most of the controls and settings available on the camera I think my wife's review of the camera may be the most important to many people: "I pick up the camera and it fits my hands. I turn it on, frame the shot and press the shutter. It takes the picture I want." She never said that about any other camera, film or digital.

While my rule, as above, is not to recommend anything until idependently tested the exception might be the Kodak Z712 which is a newly released (on the market 1 mo.) update to the Z612. I haveexamined a number of user posts and find no degradation associated with the increase to 7 MP over the Z612's 6 MP. I have also seen several posts taken at ISO 400 which appear to have less noise and at least equal detail to the Z612 at ISO 400. I haven't seen any posts at ISO 800 or 1600 but that's pretty "iffy" for any superzoom.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 9:42 PM   #20
Administrator

Moderator Note:

Two separate threads with the same questions (cross posted to camera specific forums) were merged into this one thread in the What Camera Should I Buy Forum (which is where we ask that these types of questions be posted), in order to keep the replies in the same thread.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote