Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2007, 8:49 PM   #21

sgs-

I will certainly respect your opinion. And I will leave this thread. But just as an after thought, please let me share with you that I have been a professional photographer for 53 years, I have taught digital cameras for the last 10 years.

However, I can see that you have made up your mind. Therefore, I wish you the very best. And I sincerely hope that you do indeed find the digital camera that works the very best for you.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 6:49 AM   #22

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
The H9 review is now posted on DPReview, it has not fared well at all only getting "Above Average".

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh9/
DPReview's H9 conclusion states the following:

"There is much to praise here, and anyone who thinks you can have a 31-465mm equiv. lens in a $450 compact without some compromise is living in a dream world. If you don't intend to produce big enlargements I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the pictures you get......."

Bottom line; if you want a huge zoom range in an affordable, compact body that offers SLR-like handling, and can be relied on to produce appealing output at normal print sizes with minimal effort, the H9 is a serious option. "

They actually like the H9.

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 7:34 AM   #23

Come on Nick, Simon also said shoot the H9 at ISO 100 and don't print larger than 5x7 to not show up the smearing and watercolour effect, also your god AAKover on STFadmits also to to the wide-angle mess, and to not use below 1.5-2x zoom to avoid the soft edges in images. Not to mention the dire reviews from: Camera labs-Neo-Megapixel as well as DPReview who you also rubbished and claimed that you knew better than these site reviewers and that the H9 was great and had no IQproblems.

DPreview's image quality ratings:

H2: 8.5 - (6 megapixels)
H5: 8.0 - (7 megapixels)
H9: 7.0 - (8 megapixels)

Just one of yourquote's from the Sony forum here on Steve's:
Quote:
What really is surprising, that in the face of all these reviews,

HOW HAVE I BEEN ABLE TO CAPTURE SO MANY REALLY GOOD IMAGES WITH MY H9?????????????

These reviewers must know something I don't.

And I hope to keep it that way.

To any newcomers, in the face of this tidal wave of horrific results, check out my Real Life User's Review - Conclusion thread.

Regards,

Nicholas
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 8:19 AM   #24

Sgs

Conclusion: Look seriously at the Sony H-9 camera. Try to get one on a trial basis. A lot of local photo shops will do that. If it produces the type of photos you are looking for, great. You have found your camera.

Option 2: Wait for the Canon S-5 reviews.

Option 3: Get a DSLR like the Nikon D-40 (about the same price range as the Sony H-9) on a trial basis and take it for a spin.

Which ever way you go, you will have fun, and be narrowing your choices.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 8:39 AM   #25

Wirraway wrote:
Quote:
Come on Nick, Simon also said shoot the H9 at ISO 100 and don't print larger than 5x7 to not show up the smearing and watercolour effect, also your god AAKover on STF.....
Wirraway,

My God??? I have no respect for someone who accepts donations.

You have nothing positive to say about the H9.

If you read my review threads, you will see I posted positive and negative issues.

Perhaps you are taking all this too seriously.

Enjoy,

Nicholas

nickphoto123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 9:01 AM   #26

Sorry Nick I was sure you were one of AAKs followers, as for having nothing to say positive I have already saidon the Sony forum herethat I like most of the features, but the image problems as far as I'm concerned is what matters most and with having to use the wide-angle at 1.5-2x to be useful there is no point upgrading from my H5, if you had owned a previous H2-H5 I doubt weather you would be updating either. Even Anne Girard who is one of the best photographers on STF has dumped her new H9 and is now happy with an H2, go figure.

No Nick your the one that has started over 30 threads and countingon the Sony forum here saying how great this H9 is, I'm just adding to prospective buyers to wait for the profesional reviews instead of being bombarded with just your views.
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote