Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 28, 2007, 7:10 PM   #1
sgs

:?:?HelP! I am going to buy either the H9 sony or the canon s5? I want to point and shoot...Sporting activities, zoom, image stabilization. Seems they both dothese things...Which is better? I hate my husband's slr because it has too many gizmos that I am not interested in. By the time I set it, the moment is past. Kids on the go in sports need a split second decision. I want to get great photos from little effort. Advice anyone?
sgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2007, 7:49 PM   #2

With DSLR cameras at record low prices. Perhaps you ought to consider using a DSLR camera in the auto mode. The net result would be:

(1)Far less shutter lag, such as those experienced on point and shoot cameras such ast the Canon S-5 or Sony H-9.

(2) Far faster shot to shot action. In fact, you can shoot multiple exposures at will.

(3) Far less electronic noise.

(4) Much faster over all camera action.

Please take a moment or two and re-think your needs. The DSLR camera will really do a better job for you, although I already know that you have ameasurable predisposition to DSLR cameras, such as the one used by your husband. My proposal is indeed a very workable solution to the problems defined in your post. Whether you accept the solution, is entirely up to you personally.

If you wish, I would happy to discuss this problem further with you in much greater detail. However, that too, is entirely up to you.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007, 3:18 PM   #3

sgs wrote:
Quote:
:??HelP! I am going to buy either the H9 sony or the canon s5?
Part of the issue here is that both cameras are too new to have tested by the independent reviewers. You might try asking in the question in both the Canon and Sony groups here and get at least some early adopter opinions.

ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 1:33 AM   #4

The H9 review is now posted on DPReview, it has not fared well at all only getting "Above Average".

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh9/
Wirraway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 7:24 AM   #5
sgs

:??HelP! I am going to buy either the H9 sony or the canon s5? I want to point and shoot...Sporting activities, zoom, image stabilization. Seems they both dothese things...Which is better? I hate my husband's slr because it has too many gizmos that I am not interested in. Kids on the go in sports need a split second decision. I want to get great photos from little effort. Advice anyone?
Old May 30, 2007, 7:26 AM   #6
sgs

thanks for the advice. Might revisit that idea.
Old May 30, 2007, 7:26 AM   #7
sgs

I'll post on those specific areas. Thanks for the advice. sgs
Old May 30, 2007, 7:27 AM   #8
sgs

I"ll read that review now. Thx!
Old May 30, 2007, 7:37 AM   #9

I would wait for a pro review from one of the big three sites, Steves, Dpreview or Imaging_resource.

Look at all the people who believed the hype about the Sony H9, they bought the camera on spec and are making all our lives miserable whining about the poor quality and posting long complaints in various forums.

Canon fan boys are crowing but as someone pointed out the new S5 uses the same pixel stuffed tiny sensor as the H9 and who do you think knows the sensor best and can get the best from it, Sony the people who made it, or Canon....
Sintares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 7:37 AM   #10

What I do is find out the stores return policy and buy both and compair them one I don't like I take back, no loss of money. I own a H5 and am very happy.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote