Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 30, 2007, 4:58 PM   #1

So i've been looking for the Olympus Evolt E-500 and found this site. It has tons of stuff included with the camera body + 2 lenses for $800. Is this a good buy?

http://www.digicombos.com/product_p/...4540150gb4.htm

Jami
novice_photographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2007, 5:22 PM   #2

In the lower left corner of the DigiCombos.com web page is a street address of 54 Pearl St., Brooklyn, NY 11201.

Type "Brooklyn" into the "Search" edit box at the top of this page, click on the "Search" button, and read some of the search results.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 5:23 PM   #3

Novice-

The two lens Olympus E-500 kit has been one of the better buys on the camera market. www.beachcamera.com, a reputable internet retailer has the Olympus E-500 camera with the Zukio 14-45mm lens and the Zukio 40-150mm lens at $592.00 with free shipping. So, $800.00 looks to be a bit on the high side of the price spectrum. Because the Olympus E-500 used a smaller than a standard 35mm format (24mm X 36mm) imager their additive is 2.0. Therefore those two lenses, in 35mm terms, will cover a focal length from 28mm to 300mm.

Also you must keep in mind thad the Olympus E-510 camera will be on sale in 30 to 45 days, and it will include Image Stabilization.

Please tell usmore about the kind of photos that you are currently taking and what kind of improvment in your photos that you are hoping to see in your new camera. For example if you are intending to shoot wildlife and/or birds, that 300mm focal length might be a bit on the short side.

MT/Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 6:57 PM   #4

Sarah, the kit includes not only the camera and lenses but,

[*]1Hard Shell Case class=pricecolor($149.99 value) [/*][*]1Digital/Video Camera Carrying Case class=pricecolor($89.99 value) [/*][*]15 Piece Lens Cleaning Kit class=pricecolor($29.99 value) [/*][*]1Full Size Tripod class=pricecolor($89.99 value) [/*][*]1Hi-Res Wide Angle Conversion Lens class=pricecolor($199.99 value) [/*][*]1Olympus Evolt DigiCombo #3 class=pricecolor($759.99 value) [/*][*]14GB High Speed XD Memory Card class=pricecolor($349.99 value) [/*][*]1Compact Flash Card Reader class=pricecolor($79.99 value) [/*][*]1Hi-Res 3 Piece Filter Kit class=pricecolor($149.99 value) [/*][*]1Flash for Olympus Cameras class=pricecolor($149.99 value) [/*][*]1Table Top Tripod class=pricecolor($29.99 value) The pictures I take are of nature, family pictures(so the camera needs to be able to shot well indoors in different lights),Macro, really everything. :lol:I'd like the camera also have room for me to "grow", if you know what I mean.[/*]
My current digital camera is a Medion 4.1 MP and is okay with "light" photography. It doesn't let me do macro, thesubject always come out very blurry. Bought from Aldi for 100 dollars. It was my sister's camera then was handed down to me when she got a new one.

Money is also a problem. :ORight now i've got $200 something saved.

Old May 30, 2007, 7:19 PM   #5

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/h0181.htm

Maybe it looks a little nicer on a weekday?

Forget about the accessories...did you bother adding the "Value!"s up? It comes to $2079.89...do you really think anybody is going to GIVE you over $2,000 worth of accessories for nothing? I don't. Do you really think that crap is worth $2000? I don't.

Look at what you (supposedly) get... a 4GB xD card (a $349.99 value) - hey - they only make 2GB xD cards, and you can buy them for around $40 each right now. Then they give you a compact flash card reader (a $29.99 value) - guess what? - that won't work with your xD cards. The $30 lens cleaning kit looks really nice - 5 Q-Tips, a blower brush and a little black bottle of some unknown substance to squirt on your lens.

Are you kidding me? Avoid these guys like the plague!!!!!!!!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 7:22 PM   #6

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 7:25 PM   #7

Ok. That is why I came to y'all for help Hun.

Old May 30, 2007, 7:39 PM   #8

Novice-

I was attempting to find the necessary words to form a so called diplomatic reply to your posting. Instead, all I will say is forget about the so called"accessories", they are composed ofvarious $2 to $5 items that mean virtually nothing in terms of overall value and photo quality. Rinnie has said it better than anyone else. Please re-readRinnie's post.

This is a SCAM! Please beware! Why pay $208 for what amounts to virtually/almost junk. However, Novice, I will leave the decision up to you. While at the sametime I will share with you, that we have all, everyone of us, been taken in by phonny offers such as this, so you are not at all alone in this scam.

Instead, we are honestlyattempting to share with you our experiences and knowledge of offer such as this. I will not say more, in an attempt (futile or otherwise) to sheild myself from a lawsuit.

MT/Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2007, 8:31 PM   #9

Thanks Sarah and The Hun,

I really appreciate your comments. All I really liked was the tripod and hard case. I have been "tricked" in a minor setting. I was tricked into buying a bunch of hair pins. $60 bucks it cost me. Never let the people at the kiosks lure you in.

I thank you, very much, for stoppin a big mistake. I think i'll go to circut city or beachcamera.com and just buy the stuff that way.

Old May 30, 2007, 9:00 PM   #10

Rinnie and Sarah gave you very good advice. There are some online dealers who will sell you cameras at incredible prices, then ask you to buy accessories at a super premium (i.e. exorbitant) price. Go to www.pricegrabber.com and look at the prices for dealers with more than 100 good (4 or 5 out of 5) ratings. Don't buy accessories unless you have checked the prices of the similar accessories at a brick and mortar store. For online accessories, I like www.newegg.com but there are other places with good reputations and service to match. Here's my tale of rip off. I bought a superzoom camera 6 years ago. Got it at a good price. Also got a 2X teleconverter for over $100, "normally" $200, according to the salesman. Well, actually, that teleconverter cost less than $40 on Ebay. Now it costs less than 30 bucks. It magnifies, true, but also distorts. Not a great photographic accessory.

Get your Olympus E-500 or Pentax K110d or K100d or whatever from a reputable dealer. However, don't fall for the fast talk about fantastic deals on accessories from salespeople on a commission.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote