Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2007, 12:04 PM   #11

Shahmatt wrote:
Quote:
What you need to do is to increase shutter speed for indoor (lowlight) images. This can be done by increasing the camera image capturing sensor sensitivity (or ISO). The catch is, higher ISO's result in grainier images.

Fuji's S6000 probably has the best high ISO capability amongst the ultrazoom cameras, much better than the Canon S3 IS, and probably on par with some entry level DSLR's.
AHHH, that is absolutely correct THEORY. In practical terms though you could end up cranking the ISO as high as it will go and STILL not get fast enough shutter speeds. That's the point here. I can guarantee the high ISO performance of my 20d is significantly better than what the fujis produce - and I'm saying in my house the 20d won't give fast enough shutter speeds to stop motion without flash.

So, high ISO may not be the right answer to the problem. The answer will likely be more evident when sample photos are included.

Remember we're not taking picutures here of a person standing/sitting still we're talking about pictures of kids moving. That's something completely different than someone just standing/sitting there.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:47 PM   #12

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
AHHH, that is absolutely correct THEORY. In practical terms though you could end up cranking the ISO as high as it will go and STILL not get fast enough shutter speeds. That's the point here. I can guarantee the high ISO performance of my 20d is significantly better than what the fujis produce - and I'm saying in my house the 20d won't give fast enough shutter speeds to stop motion without flash.

So, high ISO may not be the right answer to the problem. The answer will likely be more evident when sample photos are included.

Remember we're not taking picutures here of a person standing/sitting still we're talking about pictures of kids moving. That's something completely different than someone just standing/sitting there.
You are right of course about high ISO not being the answer to all problems. Sometimes there just isn't enough light to make increasing ISO an effective remedy. But I feel that in the world of non flash photography and non DSLR, the S6500 is probably the best you can go. The S6500 also has quite an effective flash, so eitherway it's all good.

I am sure your 20D has a superior ISO performance. A DSLR will always perform better with it's larger sensor, more versatility etc. But the OP seems to be looking at prosumers/compacts with movie modes, not DSLR's here.
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:22 AM   #13

Shahmatt wrote:
Quote:

I am sure your 20D has a superior ISO performance. A DSLR will always perform better with it's larger sensor, more versatility etc. But the OP seems to be looking at prosumers/compacts with movie modes, not DSLR's here.
You misunderstand - it isn't about a DSLR being better. The point was A DSLR'S HIGH ISO PERFORMANCE ISN"T GOOD ENOUGH. HIGH ISO MAY BE THE WRONG ANSWER.

You can want to do available light all you want - but wanting to and being able to aren't the same thing. When kids are moving the best high ISO cameras in the world may not be good enough. In that case a camera with hot shoe for external flash will do the job better than any built in flash. And there are digicams with external hot shoes. Those cameras may solve the OPs problems better than the fuji. At no point did I suggest the OP should buy a DSLR. Just that based on actual experience shooting the same types of subjects, high ISO is not often a viable solution. External flash is a much better one.

Hope that clears things up.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:43 PM   #14

I think JohnG is exactly on the right track-

Here is a low tech/low cost solution we put together for my Mom. from E-Bay.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:51 PM   #15

The S3 IS is reputed to focus faster than it's predessor and it built in flash is supposed to be fairly strong.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:49 AM   #16

Just to let those who don't know . The S2IS was rated number1 among all P&S in the latest issue of Consumer Reports
georgetrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 5:02 PM   #17

I think that was the S3IS rather than the S2IS
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:57 PM   #18

HI A C SMITH

I am holding a copy of Consumer Reports Dated July 2007

The Canon Cameras in the top 5 are :

1 Canon Power Shot S2IS

4 Canon Power Shot A 640

5 Canon Power Shot 710IS

The Canon Power Shot S3IS rated number 8

I have been temped to upgrade to an S5IS but the pictures from my S2 are Fantastic .Next for me is a D-SLR and my s2
georgetrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:13 PM   #19

georgetrains wrote:
Quote:
Just to let those who don't know . The S2IS was rated number1 among all P&S in the latest issue of Consumer Reports
I really like the S2 and know some people who are very happy with it, so this is NOT a knock on that camera. But I would not advise basing your camera buying on advice from consumer reports. They're great for consumer products like vacuum cleaners and washing machines. But their advice on electronics of any kind leaves a lot to be desired. And I say this as someone who subscribed for 8 years. Cameras, audio equipment, etc. I found them to have a poor track record.

All of which is besides the point.

a. The s-2 is a great camera

b. I'm not sure it's its the best solution for the OP. Related experience is the key here. You need to get recommendations from someone who is using the camera in the same way you intend to. In this case that means kids moving around indoors. There are a number of challenges to that type of shooting and it isn't valid to extrapolate that a camera that excells in another area would also be good in this area.

So the best advice to the OP - find people that shoot what you want to shoot and listen to them. Preferably with photographic evidence - that way you can judge for yourself if the camera produces the level of quality you want for the types of shooting you plan to do. No camera is good at everything and as mentioned this is particularly challenging. So look for photo examples.

Again, good luck!

Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:41 PM   #20

georgetrains wrote:
Quote:
HI A C SMITH

I am holding a copy of Consumer Reports Dated July 2007

The Canon Cameras in the top 5 are :

1 Canon Power Shot S2IS

4 Canon Power Shot A 640

5 Canon Power Shot 710IS

The Canon Power Shot S3IS rated number 8

I have been temped to upgrade to an S5IS but the pictures from my S2 are Fantastic .Next for me is a D-SLR and my s2
Thanks