Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old May 31, 2007, 9:24 AM   #1

Hello all,

My wife and I currently have a Canon S1 IS and are looking to possibly replace it.

We are having a hard time getting good pictures from it. We bought it just after it was released (2004?) and have finally grown tired of it.

We would probably be fine with a P&S but I like the long zoom on the S1.

We shoot mostly in Sports mode because it removes some of the motion blur.

What we like:
- Long zoom. I like the zoom a lot but I know that I could probably get by with less.
- Movie mode.

What we dont' like (why we don't like our pictures):
- It struggles to AF a lot, especially when shooting the kids indoors which is most of our shooting. A lot of the pictures are thus blurry.
- We get a lot of motion blur. Either the subject moves (kids don't pose terribly well) or the camera moves a bit. Even with the IS on it still seems to blur a lot.

So, what cameras would you recommend? For some unknown reason I have a preference towards Canon, although I'm not loyal to them.

Did the S3 fix some of these problems?

Thanks in advance...
joeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 31, 2007, 9:41 AM   #2

If shooting indoors without a flash is the important thing, I'd lean more towards one of the Fuji cameras like the S6000. They have much better high ISO performance and are thusly more suited for low light shots. I don't believe they come with a stabilizer though, so you might find that you have a harder time taking shots at extreme telephoto without turning up the ISO a bit.

If the Fujis don't appeal to you, then it may be time to start shopping for a DSLR. Pretty much any of them will perform significantly better than the Canon, but in particularly the entry level Canons, Nikons and Pentax cameras are excellent. You can get the Pentax K110D with a kit lens for around $400, though you'd have to spend another $150-200 to get the long range zoom as well (there may be rebates available though).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 10:54 AM   #3

Corpsy wrote:
Quote:
If shooting indoors without a flash is the important thing, I'd lean more towards one of the Fuji cameras like the S6000. They have much better high ISO performance and are thusly more suited for low light shots. I don't believe they come with a stabilizer though, so you might find that you have a harder time taking shots at extreme telephoto without turning up the ISO a bit.

If the Fujis don't appeal to you, then it may be time to start shopping for a DSLR. Pretty much any of them will perform significantly better than the Canon, but in particularly the entry level Canons, Nikons and Pentax cameras are excellent. You can get the Pentax K110D with a kit lens for around $400, though you'd have to spend another $150-200 to get the long range zoom as well (there may be rebates available though).
We use the flash regularly.

I don't want to get a DSLR, that would be too involved for our level of use and abilities.

Any other suggestions?
Old May 31, 2007, 11:08 AM   #4

I agree with everything Corpsy said, BUT....

You've got a very challenging subject. It MAY be that the only effective solution is to use flash.

I do a lot of sports shooting - and have a very good DSLR with excellent high ISO performance as well as some very good lenses for low light shooting - so in a basketball gym I can stop the action. BUT, that same setup doesn't work in my living room at night because my living room isn't as brightly lit as a gym is. So even though I have all this expensive equipment - when it comes to taking pictures in the house and the subject is moving I still end up relying on my flash to freeze the action. So even a top-notch DSLR camera with a 1.8 aperture lens isn't up to the task. But it all depends what the lighting is like where YOU shoot. It may be good enough for the fujis to get you pictures of moving subjects and it may not be (remember in my house even a DSLR isn't good enough. So, the solution for your situation MAY be to get a digicam with a hot shoe so you can use an external flash.

And, just as a side note - lest you think: "Im not shooting my kids playing basketball - they're moving much slower" that's really not true - running isn't fast - head and hand movements are fast. So a child playing actually moves faster than many kids playing sports.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 11:09 AM   #5

joeld wrote:
Quote:

I don't want to get a DSLR, that would be too involved for our level of use and abilities.

Any other suggestions?
Can you post a shot where you used the flash and you still have blur?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 11:15 AM   #6

JoelD-

The suggested Fuji S-6000fd is a very capable camera when using high ISO settings.

Here is an indoor, handheld, ISO 800 photo sample. The Fuji S-600 does equally well outside and sells for around $(US) 300.00.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7

JoelD

Here is also an outdoor sample photo. Many folks who are interested in a high ISO capable camera are concerned about how it will do out of doors.

MT/Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 11:36 AM   #8

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
joeld wrote:
Quote:

Any other suggestions?
Can you post a shot where you used the flash and you still have blur?
I'll see if I can find an example.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:45 AM   #9

Given your requirements, I would second Corpsy's recommendation of the Fuji S6000FD (S6500FD in some countries).

The reason why photos of your kids appear to be blurry is because you are using a slow shutter speed. This problem is predominant in indoor situations as the camera has less light to deal with, and is forced to slow shutter speed in order to gain a decent exposure. IS will not help as it only stabilizes camera shake, and does not increase shutter speed. IS will not cancel blur caused by subject movement.

What you need to do is to increase shutter speed for indoor (lowlight) images. This can be done by increasing the camera image capturing sensor sensitivity (or ISO). The catch is, higher ISO's result in grainier images.

Fuji's S6000 probably has the best high ISO capability amongst the ultrazoom cameras, much better than the Canon S3 IS, and probably on par with some entry level DSLR's.
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2007, 11:49 AM   #10

Here is a link to the review of the Fuji S6000FD:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu...6000fd-review/

and another, showing some samples images:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26764
Shahmatt is offline   Reply With Quote