Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:36 PM   #31

fldspringer

Thank you very much for your latest post, Iassure you not a single word is wasted!

JohnG
Quote:
It's a close call as to it's size. Size/weight is a relative thing. I think working with it and two dogs might be a bit cumbersome. Plus the 100mm is a bit long for when your dogs are close. If you were strictly going to do wildlife I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it. But for your purposes I think the other 2 lenses are a better fit. This is the nature of photography - there is almost never a PERFECT lens for the job.
Understood; great - thank you!

=====================

I hit a different set of shops today and managed to find the Canon 70-200 f4 lens and tried it with the Canon.

At a different shop I was also shown a Tamron AF 18-250 F/3.5-6.3 and told it was newer/had replaced the 18-200 - true or sales talk?!?

I'm seeing the logic in what mtclimber says and at the moment am thinking of starting with a superzoom such as the Tamron, i.e. smaller then the70-200 f4. I certainly covet the latterand understand that it will be the best for my action shots. I would like to "graduate" to the 70-200 f4 asap (within weeks/months?!?) but start off with something similar in size to the Tamron I tried today as I think I'd feel more comfortable getting to grips with the camera with something less unwieldly (for walking about, holding it is not a problem).

After seeing the 70-200 f4 I also feel this is not a lens I'd take with me (on my walks) all the time; on other outings (with the car) it is not such a problem. I'd take the f4 on specific walks when I would prioritise photography over other things.

I'd be keen to have a lens which (although not as good) would serve me well enough and allow me to take it with me more often, as I had envisaged carrying the Sony H9. The superzooms JohnG mentioned, which arethe ones mtclimber are suggesting (and giving such lovely examples of) are what I would like to zero in on now.

1.Are there any others I should look at apart from the Sigma/Tamron 18-200 - what's the feedback on the Tamron AF 18-250 F/3.5-6.3? I can go over the $500 price range.

Quote:
The Sigma 18-200mmOS kens will be out in mid July and that is another option. OS, which stands for Optical Stabilization is Sigma's trade name for Image Stabilization. That lens is scheduled to go on sale here in the USA for about $(US) 550.
Is this worth waiting for? (Bearing in mind that I do plan to graduate to the f4 as explained above).

3. How would (XTi +superzoom lens)the results compare to having an H7/smilar. WOuld I not have the zoom (reach) but get better quality photos? I'm not changing my mind about going for DSLR!!! Just want to put things in context.

Thanks again for sticking with me and for all your comments, suggestions and encouragement. I am very excited at the thought of going for a DSLR and very grateful to have you here!! : - )
St Iletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:10 PM   #32

Just my two-penn'orth for what it's worth. I bought the Tamron 55-200mm lens in Britain for £80 - that's about 119 Euros or 158 US$. And for the weight and reach I think it's good value for money. It was bought to complement the 18-55mm kit lens, and as it was on a 50% reduction offer I couldn't refuse - I'd already stretched myself buying the camera, the UV filters, the bag and the compact flash cards so there was no way last month I could afford a pricey image stabilised lens.

It's all a matter of perspective though, I appreciate that the lens isn't all-singing-all-dancing and if I were to put my pics up against the posher, more expensive lenses there'd be a heck of a difference, but it does what I want for now, till the bank manager says I can move up :-)

As a suggestion, if you feel the big zooms are too much, have you thought about a 55-200mm lens (I'm not sure how much smaller it is) - if I want to travel 'light' I make the decision before I go what I would be taking - landscapes or close ups and just stick with that lens. But my camera bag fits both lenses so if I'm undecided I can take both and just put up with the extra weight.

Of course I'm a seasoned pro now, what with four weeks' experience, lol :lol:. So it's probably best listening to people with more shots under their belts!!!
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:26 PM   #33

Beejygirl

Thank you so much for your post and following this thread! :-)

Quote:
I'd already stretched myself buying the camera, the UV filters, the bag and the compact flash cards so there was no way last month I could afford a pricey image stabilised lens.
UV filters?Oops, I'll have to look into that too. I had the bag and card on my list - anything else? Thanks for mentioning it!

Quote:
It's all a matter of perspective though, I appreciate that the lens isn't all-singing-all-dancing and if I were to put my pics up against the posher, more expensive lenses there'd be a heck of a difference, but it does what I want for now, till the bank manager says I can move up :-)
I'm in the happy position where I can splash out! It was my birthday last month and I have both parents (separately) with presents pending, plus "vouchers" from each of them from last Xmas / birthday pressies that didn't materialise. Additionally, I got a full refund for my (almost 2 year old) faulty Sony P-200 from the online retailer so I have a £276 (sterling) credit note with them. The same retailer also has an additional €80 rebate for the XTi from Canon valid the next few weeks. I've always wanted to make the jump to DSLR but wanted to be serious about it when I did; I thought that would be at some point after H9 not instead of, but here we are and I'm raring to go! Consequently, what with what I'd put in myself plus all the credits above I'm in a very fortunate position and want to make the most of it!! The planets are aligned! ; - )

I'm quite a computer/gadget person and take my kit seriously; I never buy on a whim and always research my purchases carefully.I am happy to spend money on a very good quality smaller/versatile lens now, knowing that it will serve me in the short term so I get to know the camera/build up to the F4 as well as later, as a more portable solution for when I'm not using the larger lens.

Quote:
Of course I'm a seasoned pro now, what with four weeks' experience, lol :lol:. So it's probably best listening to people with more shots under their belts!!!
On the contrary, I was really hoping you'd post again as I really value your input. You've just made the jump and are ahead of where I'd like to be - and we want to do exactly the same things! I had the XTi on my list precicely because of all your comments, I happened to click on it from Steve's Reviews page first as it caught my eye - probably subliminal from your post! *LOL*Then when I went to check which camera you had been raving about so I could read the review I realised it was the one I'd just read and was so smitten by! I thought, wow! I totally hear her!!

So I'm really interested in everything you have to say and am really grateful you've said it in the enthusiastic and detailed way that you have! Your reinforcement that I'm making the right decision here is really the icing on the cake.I feel very fortunate with the timing and choice of Forum to have coincided with you, with such similar circumstances! : - )

PS - thanks for your thoughtful inclusion of the currency conversion. Like you though, I think in sterling! :-)

St Iletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:38 AM   #34

Anything else? Hmmm, I'd suggest a couple of compact flash cards - I've got a 2mb and a 1mb - rather than, say, a massive sized one - with my camera on large superfine (I haven't dared try the RAW out yet....got to do a bit more reading up on that!) I get about 450 pics from the 2mb.

That means if I'm out for the day I don't have to worry about taking shots on continuous and running out of space :-).Perfect for doggie action pics.

IMHO I'd rather have two 2mb cards than one 4mb card - just personal opinion, but my gran always used to say never put your eggs in one basket, and all that. And it means you can chop and change.

One thing though, don't get all excited and buy your memory card from the retailer. You can get HUGE discounts online, if you're prepared to wait a few days for delivery.

My dad paid £50+ for his Sandisk Ultra II card when he bought his camera, only to buy and additional, identicalone online from a decent/reputable retailer for less than £17 including delivery :shock:. I have heard, though,that there are some on e-bay that sound like a bargain, but are just cheap knock-offs.

I'm not sure netiquette rules allow me to post the address of the e-retailer....but if someone more enlightened says I can, I will.
Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote