Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 3, 2007, 11:03 AM   #1

My wife and I are looking for a new digital camera. She currently has a Canon Elf film camera but you can't hardly find film for it anymore. I have several SLR film cameras and a Fuji A602 digital. Although my Fuji takes pretty good pictures is is big and bulky and my wife thinks it is too darned complicated. She's right about the big and bulky part and we are really looking for a very non-complicated point-and-shoot digital camera that can be easily shoved in my wife's purse. So....I've been looking at info regarding the Cannon SD750 and think that this might be a good fit however I know that there are many other sub-compact models out there. Can anyone give me advice on the SD750 andalternatives to look at if we want to go with another brand? We want something that will shoot good snapshots for her and better shots for me that can take advantage of the advance features of a camera.Also what, exactly is the difference between the SD750 and the SD1000? My understaning is the SD1000 has a viewfinder whereas the SD750 does not but is that the only difference? We're really open to buying whatever brand/model is best for us but money is money and I don't want to invest something bad. I'm comfortable with Canon so that's the only reason for picking that brand. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:28 PM   #2

Moondoggy-

It is just a thought, but you might want to consider the SD-800IS. You would get a wide angle spot on the lens as well as image stabilization.

If image stabilization is not a consideration take a look at the F-20 or F-40.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:31 AM   #3

Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the 800IS and read the reviews of the SD750, SD1000 and SD800IS over and over and from what I read I'm really getting the feeling that when pushing the camera a bit the image stablization really added to the image quality. Currently the SD1000 is available locally at $249 while the SD750 is $299 and the SD800IS is $349.00 so for the extra $100 over the SD1000 I'd be getting a wider telephoto lens and the IS feature which Steve seemed to rave about in his review. If there is anything you can add to what I already know about please provice an update asap as I think I'm getting close to making a decision. Thanks for the heads up on the 800IS.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:42 AM   #4

Moon,

You didn't say whether low light capability and higher ISO use is important to you, but if it is, you might want to look at this:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/page6.asp

The Fuji doesn't have a viewfinder or the wide angle lens of the SD800, but it has better high ISO performance, aperture and shutter priority settings, and face detection.

It all depends on your intended usage...good luck with your choice.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:40 PM   #5

Well, I bought the SD800 IS and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Takes great pictures and is easy to use. My only concern and I read a lot about this concern elsewhere is the cover doors for the memory/battery and expecially the port door. The first time I opened the port door I thought I had broken it. It is VERY flimsy and I don't like how Canon only hinged it on one side. Very poor design if you ask me. Under normal conditions the door covers should not be of concern but for anyone thinking about this camera be advised that you will have to exert a great deal of care to not break the cover doors off the camera.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 2:24 PM   #6

Well, Congratulations, Moondoggy-

I am glad you have the camera of your desires. Now take some photos and enjoy!

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote