Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:08 PM   #1

So, I've been looking to get a new camera after coming back from a holiday and seeing some of the other guys with their cameras that seemed to be doing well for them.

Being particularly impressed with the Samsung NV3 (http://www.samsungcamerausa.com/news....asp?newsid=118 ) I was tempted just to head out and get myself one of those without much fuss. Common sense dictates that I need to find at least two other worthy cameras that I can mull over before parting with my cash.

Point and shoot is probably the most important thing for me here, with it being pretty straightforward to take good photos and be able to take them quickly. Secondary concern is given to being able to record decent videos, though not at the expense of the stills. It will probably be used mostly in well lit areas although it does need to perform well in low light so I think I would be willing to sacrifice in order to improve on low light situations. Image stabilisation and large screens would also be nice but these are merely an afterthought; perhaps the tiebreaker between two otherwise equal cameras? Pixel count? As long as I can print average sized photos, it doesn't really matter. More is better I suppose, but not at the expense of image quality.

I'm looking to spend less then £200, hopefully £150. If a camera is worth the extra money I'd give it proper consideration though.

Anyone willing to help me find my camera?

Thanks
EpilepticDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 6:25 AM   #2

Well, after more reading I think I've found another camera for me to mull over - the Canon Powershot A630 ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a630.html ) and perhaps also the Powershot SD630 ( http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/sd630.html ) if you want to count that as a variation rather than a completely different camera.

From here I think I can now exclude the Samsung. It looks like a decent camera aswell as being pretty but I think for the slightly higher price I'm getting a better camera in any of the other choices.

So the a630/sd630 looks like my choice so far but I've found little information on how they perform in low light to let me decide between which of these or the fuji f31

Anyone care to weigh in with an opinion here?

Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:25 AM   #3

Nearly 50 views and no replies?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 9:39 AM   #4

I have a friend who has he SD600. It's a nice camera. However, I think the F31 and its kin are the undisputed digicam (not DSLR) champs at low light shots. There is a $30 rebate on it when bought from Fuji authorized dealers until the end of July.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:39 PM   #5

I always carry my F-30 with me as the constant companion to my SLR's. There are times when you need to grab the shot, or when the DSLR would be overkill, so out comes the Fuji F-30.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:21 AM   #6

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
I always carry my F-30 with me as the constant companion to my SLR's. There are times when you need to grab the shot, or when the DSLR would be overkill, so out comes the Fuji F-30.

Sarah
Not always, but I do bring it along often. Most of the time I bring it for my wife but if I'm taking pictures with the DSLR, she rarely bothers. My 8 year old daughter ends up using it and she actually getssome greatshots in AUTO mode because I find inAUTO, the F30 favours higher ISOs thangenerally required and by that very nature itcompensates for camera shake as a result.Mind you, that's without setting it in it's picture stabilzation mode, which is even higher ISOs still. My daughter does well with the DSLR also. I would imagine the built in IS in the DSLR gives her an advantage. Maybe she's just a natural... LOL. It's funny watching her handle a KM 7D. I always tell her tothe strap around her neck just in case she drops it, but I'm kidding myself because the strap is set so long that it would probably just slide past her shoulders.

The F30 hits the spot for me despite not having IS or an optical viewfinder and for me those are normally two important features. I gave them up because it's high ISO performance is just that good. Honestly, the typicalsmall optical digicam viewfinder isn't that great that it's a must have anyway. As for the IS, as I indicatedearlier, the Fuji does a good job of eliminating shake through higher AUTOISO settings and the fact that using higher ISOs doesn't introduce more noise like some of the brands I have personnaly experianced.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote