Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 4, 2007, 5:55 PM   #1

Hello,

Does anyone know what the difference is between these two models? I'm curious since they both cost the same but the TZ3 has 10x optical zoom and FX50 has 3.8x optical zoom - other than that I can't find any difference or i might of overlooked it. Which one should I get? Does anyone have these cameras and any comments about it? Is there another camera you would recommend instead of these...like a Canon? what model?

Thanks so much..
Tiger123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:41 PM   #2

Panasonic cameras, in general,do well with outdoor photos. However, when you begin to increase the ISO above 200 ISO, particularly in low light situations without using flash, noisereally becomes a problem. I have hands on experience with the TZ-1 and the FZ-7.

The TZ-1 is very convenient and even a bit pocketable. I have seen excellent outdoor photo samples from the TZ-3, but do not own one myself. Here are low light level shots taken with a FZ-7 at ISO200. So please taken into consideration how much low light level shooting you might be doing.

Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:58 PM   #3

That's a great shot, Sarah!

Here's a few images from the TZ3 I've accumulated over the past couple of weeks in giving it a go, including some indoor, non-flashhigher ISO files. The 10x optical zoom is fantastic for a camera you can carry around in your pocket, and the 28mm wide end is virtually distortion free. Quite impressive for a $299 camera, especially when you start looking at the distortion in the 28mm views of the fewother digicams with that wide a focal length, like the Canon SD800is...

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/2900447#156043664

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:51 AM   #4

Gregg-

AsI mentioned previously, I don't own the TZ-3, just the TZ-1,but after going through your smugmug shots, I would verture the opinion that the TZ-3 is a really quite a measurable improvement over the TZ-1.

It appears to have overcome some of the noise problems so were so common when the ISO was set any higher than 200. That in itself is a positive improvement. Thanks for sharing those photos with us.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote