Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:47 PM   #1

I have been using a Canon 350D for sometime and had a back up camera a Fuji S7000 which is a very competent camera but simply too bulky for a day out camera that my other half can throw in her purse. My big thing is going on holiday (very sunny) and I don't want to carry around either of these cameras. THese are the kay factors, the budget door is quite open at this moment.

1. Compact, able to put in a pocket or purse

2. REasonable zoom if possible.

3. Ideally XD/Compact flash but Sd is cheap enough to get a new card.

4. Especially good at ourdoor bright photography but wil be used internally and eveings out so low light use is required.

5. Prferably taking AA batteries but again not the most important

Think that covers everything and help very appreciated.

D
Fussybuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 9:25 PM   #2

Is there an SLR's little brother? I sincerely doubt it! For me, the answer is really quite simple and clear. I would opt for a Canon XTi equipped with a marvelous Sigma 18-125mm lens. If you think that is a wild combination, I am willing to support it completey with photo samples.

Sooner or later folks will slowly but surely come to realize that a DSLR solution is probably the preferable solution. Can we talk a bit more about camera choices? Perhaps, we can each teach each other a bit more about our favorite cameras. i am game, are you?

Sarah

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:45 AM   #3

Hi Sara, First off - I would like to thank for your assistance in selecting the K100D I picked up almost a year ago. It is half (or three quarters) of the perfect combination for me. The reason I say part of the combination is that there are times that I just can't take the SLR along - in particular, business trips. I dare not check my camera bag nor my computer system, and I need to keep my suitcase with me to knock an hour off the baggage wait at the airport. In flying across country I get in on the east coast at 10pm to midnight and need the extra hour.

I have tried to fit both the camera and computer system in to a special backpack (still looking for the perfect laptop/camera backpack), having to break down the lenses from the body, but that is not a really good solution either, since I have to place the camera system in to the trunk when I go to work. So my solution is my old handy Canon SD500 ELPH with an extra battery. - I can put it into the glove compartment or center console in the car, plus I have a camera with me - for after work.

Also, when an SLR is just not appropriate, at dinner (according to my wife), etc., I can drop this in my pocket and it's ready to go. Yes, I give up a lot of control of the shots and lots of functions, but the trade off is no camera, and I have found this combination to be pretty optimal.

When I fly internationally, I get to go business class and there is sufficient room to take everything, however domestically - in the sardine can center seat, at 6'3" it just does not work, so a compromise was essential.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:49 AM   #4

Double post - I hit send a second time after a few minutes - did not realize the system was as slow as it is....
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:43 AM   #5

Pssst...Fussy...Fuji F31...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:44 AM   #6

Pssst...Fussy...Fuji F31...

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:19 PM   #7

interested_observer-

Yes, I do agree that there are times when carrying/using/ect a DSLR is just not practical. Like a lot of other DSLR users, I carry a Fuji F-30. It is a good small camera with good high ISO capabilities.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:20 AM   #8

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/came...-1092-921.html
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote