Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

View Poll Results: Now friends, what would it be? A710IS or A640?
A710IS 1 50.00%
A640 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2007, 2:09 AM   #1

Hi! First I want to thank Steve's Digicams for the enormous helpful infos that i got, and also to the contributors of this forum. You dear people helped me come down to just these two choices: Canon Powershot's A710IS and A640.

Now I just need a little bit more help from you guys before i finalize my decision. I do snorkeling and diving. I play football (soccer). At times I perform on stage in a band. And I do like the outdoors. A710's 6x zoom is really an advantage and its image stabilizer function. However A640 offers 10megapixel and a movable LCD though no image stabilizer and limits zooming capabilities.

Now friends, what would it be? A710IS or A640?

Once again, thank you very much.
patrickim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2

patrickim-

While you helpfully listed all of your favorite activities. Do any one of them have a priority? Based on what you have stated thus far, IMO the A-710IS is the clear winner. The IS found on the A-710ISoffers very real help with those shots taken atlow shutter speeds and when zoomed out to your maximum optical zoom.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:18 PM   #3

Thanks Sarah, your help is very much appreciated. I'm a newbie when it comes to cameras and taking photos, so I would have to ask another question if you don't mind. When taking photos of people up the stage (in a concert, a performance, a lecture etc.), the lights around the stage usually destroys the quality of the photo, what do you think should i do? Are the features in the A710IS capable of adjusting to this condition?
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:03 AM   #4

Patrick-

The concert enviorment is rather unique. There are many multi colored lights, pyrotechnics, and the like. A camera is going to attempt to record exactly what your eyes are seeing (colored lights, pyrotechnic, and such) at that moment in time that you actuate the shutter. The camera is recording light, nothing more. So please understand that the camera being used, in virtually every case does not have the ability some special ability to see clearly through, the smoke, multi colored lights, and the like. It is just a recording device and nothing more.

However, due to the smaller level of lighting available at your typical concert, you would have to consider a camera such as the Fuji F-20, F-30 and the like that are specially designed for a low light level environments. A Canon A-710IS would not be able to do well in a concert environment.

Sarah
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:46 AM   #5

And so, I ordered a Canon a710IS, including its underwater casing.Wanna say thanks to all contributors of this forum who helped in one way or another.

To Sarah,

i can't extend enough my utmost gratitude to you Sarah. Your help contributed a loton my decision. You are waaay ! I hope you can share details regarding your photography lessons on a cruise, me and some of my friends might want to opt for that.

Now, I just hope that the camera arrives at the date i expect it, so the shooting :|will start as soon as possible! I'm already excited!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:59 AM   #6

PatrickM-

Congratulations on your purchase of the Canon A-710IS! I am sure that you will enjoy the camera a great deal. Have fun and post some photos.

Sarah Joyce