Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:32 PM   #11

Really? You think 6 mp is good enough for 11x14? I am surprised by this. I would have thought I would need at least 7-8mp for crisp images. I am not planning on a lot of cropping.

I am intrigued by Sarah's suggestion of the Nikon D40x, however, carrying around 2 lenses might get cumbersome. Would I need two lenses with the Olympus as well? Cnet's review of the 410 wasn't stellar, and there isn't one of the 510, yet.

By the way, thank you all for the input. This has been a very helpful forum so far.

-Dhaval

Dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:43 PM   #12

Dhaval wrote:
Quote:
Really? You think 6 mp is good enough for 11x14? I am surprised by this. I would have thought I would need at least 7-8mp for crisp images. I am not planning on a lot of cropping.
I've printed 3MP images at 8x10, and you need an eye loupe to see the pixelation. I think you could get away with 11x14 with a 6MP image if the lens was up to it and the camera's settings were appropriate.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:52 PM   #13

I agree with Robbo that so long as you are taking pictures in really good, bright daylight, the FZ8 appears to give very good results, and I agree with you that image stabilization can be very useful indeed. On the other hand, if you don't mind taking a tripod with you & have the patience to use it, you can certainly manage without image stabilization.

Unfortunately though, your needs (like mine) pose a problem that doesn't (yet) have an all-in-one solution. I think that the most important thing to beware of is being misled into believing that more megapixels are always better. Very often more megapixels are not better. Often, they're much worse. Apropos this, you may be interested in this thread.
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...gapixels+mania

This, I hope, is the URL of the largest version of the picture. If it isn't, be sure to click on 'original' -

http://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/71016480

Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:09 PM   #14

Dhaval wrote:
Quote:
I am intrigued by Sarah's suggestion of the Nikon D40x, however, carrying around 2 lenses might get cumbersome. Would I need two lenses with the Olympus as well?
Actually, the two lens suggestion bothers me a little. When horseback riding through the Rockies, the horses alone will make enogh noise to scare off any large wildlife, so I think all that'll be left, photographically speaking, will be landscapes(wide-angle-to-normal zoom or kit lens) and small wildlife (super-telephoto). So I don't think you'd be getting much use out of a 55-200. And if you don't want to change lenses, you'll need two cameras.

No, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me either.

So I'm partial to the image stabilized super-zoom digicam solution, myself.

Dhaval wrote:
Quote:
Cnet's review of the 410 wasn't stellar, and there isn't one of the 510, yet.
Actually, Popular Photography had nice things to say about the E-510 [see http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3886...and-e-510.html].
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:37 PM   #15

Thanks for the links and the education on mp. I knew it was overhyped, but not necessarily to that degree. If I can get decent 11x14 with a 6mp, that should be good enough.

I was tempted to plunge into the DSLR realm, but juggling lenses doesn't sound too appealing to me, and it also doesn't seem necessary. I haven't seen anything convincing that a DSLR is going to be better for my needs.

I'm leaning towards the Canon S3 IS right now. I've liked the pictures I've gotten from the Digital Elph, so I'm a little biased towards the brand. How does this sound to you all?

-Dhaval

Dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:48 PM   #16

I would agree with TCav concerning the suitability of the superzoom solution. Models such as the FZ8 with IS, 12x zoom, and relatively small size should fit your immediate needs well. I have printed at A3 (roughly 11 x 14 inches) with my Sony H5 and its picture quality in reasonable light, i.e. outdoors, is similar to my D40 DSLR. I bought the D40 for low light and more creative shots. It is among the smallest DSLRs and is brilliant, but assuming I could ride a horse, I'd feel happier with the H5. The D40 with a 7x zoom (18-135mm) is still a fair bit heavier and bulkier than the H5 or FZ7. You need to compare the FZ7 with the Olympus or Nikon entry level DSLRs by handling them in a store. The superzooms do not have very wide angle coverage, but for "snapshot" landscapes the 35mm equivalence of a compact or superzoom has not restricted our holiday landscape pictures. If you have found this a restriction with your other digitals, you may disagree.
1eyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:51 PM   #17

Dhaval wrote:
Quote:
I was tempted to plunge into the DSLR realm, but juggling lenses doesn't sound too appealing to me, and it also doesn't seem necessary. I haven't seen anything convincing that a DSLR is going to be better for my needs.
... for your immediate needs.

I agree.

Dhaval wrote:
Quote:
I'm leaning towards the Canon S3 IS right now. I've liked the pictures I've gotten from the Digital Elph, so I'm a little biased towards the brand. How does this sound to you all?
I think that sounds like a winner.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:22 PM   #18

Canon cameras certainly have a good reputation. I've owned a Canon S1IS. It was quite conveniently compact, and I very much liked it except that it lacked a decent Macro function & this made me go back to an Olympus C2100UZ which I still have, along with a Canon A300 and an SD400 both of which I also still have.

If you're leaning towards the S3IS though, you might also want to consider the S2IS.

Judging from the images of the Street sign for Nicholson St. in the pictures of the red brick schoolhouse in Steve's sample images, it may just be that the S2IS has the better resolution. Also, the latest issue of Consumer Reports rates the picture quality of the S2IS as higher than that of the S3IS.

Another factor is that the S2IS - if you can find one - appears to cost substantially less......
Old Jun 7, 2007, 4:23 PM   #19

Canon cameras certainly have a good reputation. I've owned a Canon S1IS. It was quite conveniently compact, and I very much liked it except that it lacked a decent Macro function & this made me go back to an Olympus C2100UZ which I still have, along with a Canon A300 and an SD400 both of which I also still have.

If you're leaning towards the S3IS though, you might also want to consider the S2IS.

Judging from the images of the Street sign for Nicholson St. in the pictures of the red brick schoolhouse in Steve's sample images, it may just be that the S2IS has the better resolution. Also, the latest issue of Consumer Reports rates the picture quality of the S2IS as higher than that of the S3IS.

Another factor is that the S2IS - if you can find one - appears to cost substantially less......
Old Jun 7, 2007, 8:56 PM   #20

Herb-

Check out http://www.pricegrabber.com and you will find the Canon S2IS is only about $(US) 30-45 cheaper than the Canon S-3IS. Perhaps the Consumer Reports recommendation narrowed the price gap a bit.

If compact size is a must, I would go with the Canon S-3IS or the Panasonic FZ-8. I own the FZ-7 and it is very compact and has great IQ. Here is a photo sample from the Panasonic FZ-7 taken at the max zoom (432mm).

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote