Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2007, 9:58 PM   #21

Sarah,

Thanks for that reference. I was relying on the Canadian version of Consumer reports that shows a CAD $70 difference.

But my own choice would still be the S2IS, even if the price was the same as the S3IS – the samples lead me to believe that the S2IS gives better resolution.

That's a very nice bird picture from Patagonia. Based on this picture in Steve's samples I very nearly bought a Panasonic FZ-7 myself –
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...s/p1000034.jpg
Herb
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:11 PM   #22

Herb-

The Panasonic FZ-7 or FZ-8 is probably the best compact for the OP. Even B & H still has the FZ-7 in stock for $265.30 including shipping & handling. That's a $(US) 30 savings over the FZ-8.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:50 AM   #23

OK,

Now that you have had me narrow it down to one of the megazooms, what is your opinion between the Canon S3, Panasonic FZ50, and the Sony H7? I like the Canon brand, but the Leica lens on the FZ50 is appealing. The H7 spec look good, too.

-Dhaval

Dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:42 AM   #24

Dhavel-

You would be much more happy with a Panasonic FZ-7 or FZ-8, due to the considerably larger size of the FZ-50. If you wanted to stay with Canon, IMO the S-3IS or S2IS offer the desired size and the best value.

I think that it is time for you to go to a camera shop, and to see in person, the size of each of these cameras, and how they fit and feel in your hands.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 9:50 AM   #25

Thank you all for your input. I am going to swing by a camera shop this weekend. I have a lot more confidence now than before.
Dhaval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 5:31 PM   #26

Dhaval wrote:
Quote:
Really? You think 6 mp is good enough for 11x14? I am surprised by this. I would have thought I would need at least 7-8mp for crisp images. I am not planning on a lot of cropping.

I used a Nikon D70s (6.1 megapixels) to take shots out at a movie set I was working on. Pictures taken in both full-sunlight and VERY overcast skys have been blown up to 30x40 inches, and you cannot see any pixalation without getting REALLY close to them. Of course, I used a good Nikkor lense, but the 6.1 worked great. So, if you have a good lense, and the settings are correct on your camera, 6.1 will work just fine for most situations.

Jim

AdventureGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2007, 9:37 PM   #27

fairly new to camera's but i live in the Rockies and have had horses for 20 years. i would never take my DSLR horseback riding again!! it was awful!! i love my camera but it's just too big for horseback riding. i have a older super zoom just for horseback, i keep it in a padded case that i altered to go on the saddle horn. it is right at my fingertip but at the same time does not bother me at all in the tricky mountains where i need 2 hand to ride safely.

the other are better equipped to help you in your choice of camera but if you find a smaller one you like i would suggest you take that one. i would not part with either one of my 2 cameras. but the smaller one is definitely better for horseback

good luck and have fun
julianne is offline   Reply With Quote