Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1

Hi guys,

My girlfriend's birthday is coming up soon and I think it's about time to replace her old digital camera. She's really a point and shoot type of person who won't take advantage of all the features that are available on the camera. Will most likely stay at the auto mode the entire time.

I see her mostly using the camera when we all go out to party or at events such as graduations. Can someone suggest a camera that would be good for her? Sorry but I've been out of the market for about 6 months and things change so quickly in the digicam marketplace.

Cameras that I've used in the past that I enjoyed are the casio exlim and a variety of cannon cameras.
Bo0osted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 12:49 PM   #2

I was also curious if there is much of difference between the quality of pictures from ultra-compacts nowadays. I mean, can a layman tell the difference between pictures that are printed 5x7? If not, then it seems a persons choice should be based on cost and form of the camera.

This comment was related to ultracompact P&S only. I have personally seen differences in quality in pictures taken by dSLRs.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:12 PM   #3

Hi guys,

So I looked around and the two below look promising:
Cyber-shot DSC-W55
[img]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/schang/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img]
Casio Exilim EX-Z75

Anyone with experience on these?

Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:48 PM   #4

For indoor shooting with a p&s, I'd look at Fuji. Their cameras tend to perform better in low light than most.

For a good, all-around camera I'd check out the Fuji S6000. It's got plenty of zoom so it's handy indoors and out. If you want something compact, look at the Fuji F20 and F30 (and I think there's an F31).
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:52 PM   #5

Bo0osted-

I am making the assumption that when you mention "indoor shots" you are referring to indoor photos taken using the camera's built-in flash. Would that be correct? If so it would mean keeping the camera to subject distance limited to 10 to 12 feet. Is that acceptable to your needs.

The Sony W-55 is a better choice than the Casio Z-75, due to the fact that the Casio flashes only seem to have an effective flash range of 6 to 8 feet. Another camera worth considering is the Fuji F-20.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 3:46 PM   #6

Thank you both for your recommendations. As to my comment on indoor shots, you are correct. I am referring to pictures taken with the camera's built-in flash.

I'll take a look at the fuji f20/30 right now.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 6:54 PM   #7

Ok... fuji camera seem to rock the low light department lately for P&S cameras. The F30 and f40 look like great cameras so I'm going to look at teh Sony w55 and the fuji f40 in person at the store later.

What do you guys think of the pinefix v10? That thing looks slick.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 6:56 PM   #8

Ok... fuji camera seem to rock the low light department lately for P&S cameras. The F30 and f40 look like great cameras so I'm going to look at teh Sony w55 and the fuji f40 in person at the store later.

Old Jun 7, 2007, 6:59 PM   #9

Old Jun 7, 2007, 7:11 PM   #10