Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:44 AM   #1

I currently own a Canon PowerShot A80, but I realized that I want something much smaller and compact this time.

I did some research, and at this point I'm leaning toward canon's SD 800 and 1000 models. The problem is, I saw some people online bashing the above models for bad low light performance.

It is EXTREMELY important for me to have good indoor and night performance(for the price) on my camera. My old Canon did well at night and indoors and the new one should be better.

Another thing I'm interested in is Image Stabilization... How important is this feature? How useful is it?

Again, just to summarize, the most important things for me are:

1)Price

2)Size

3)Indoor/Night Performance (very important)

4)The ability to take good pictures of landscapes. Examples: (Sunset on the Beach, Mountains in the Distance, a pond, a forest, etc...) I know that these things require more expencive cameras, but all I'm looking for is the best performance in this field in the ultra compact class. Dont need ultra professional quality stuff.

I can go with another brand as long as it fits my criteria, but I do prefer Canon. Suggestions please?

ibex333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2007, 1:57 PM   #2

ibex-

Your expressed preference for excellence in indoor and night photo seem to indicate that you ought to take a good look at the Fuji F-20, F-31fd, or F-40 cameras. The newer model cameras in Sony's W-series camera also seem to do well at high ISO and night. The W-55 even includes an optical viewfinder.

Those cameras are very small and excell in high ISO settings used indoors or at night.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2007, 2:40 PM   #3

Thank you.

Also can someone explain to me how important are the "IS" and "face detection" fetures in the new cameras? Canon makes it cound like these features are exclusive to them... Any of this true, or this is just useless features with catchy names?
Old Jun 7, 2007, 6:45 PM   #4

ibex-

Is or Image Stabilization is worthwhile. Canon is not the only compant offer IS. However, because Canon owns the IS trademark, other companies have to give it a different name. Thus, Pentax calls it SR (Shake Reduction), Nikon calls it VR (Vibration Reduction), Sony calls it SSS (Super Steady Shot), and Olympus has it and calls it image stabilization in small letters. It corrects for small inadvertent movements, made particularly at low or slow shutter speeds.

Face detection works but it is not a really big deal in my opinion.

Sarah
Old Jun 7, 2007, 10:53 PM   #5

I did some more research and it seems I'll go with Sony.

Looks like Sony's DSC-W line and DSC-T line are the same.. Only difference is that the T line is a little smaller and slicker.

One thing I cant understand is how they cram the zoom lens into the "T" line? The telescopic lens are clearly wisible on the "W" series, but on the "T" I cant even see it!

Are the zoom lens really just as functional and good on the "T" line as they are on the "W"?

I read the reviews for both and it looks like both cameras are excellent and offer good low light performance... If the non-telescopic zoom lens on the T line can do the job just as good as the telecopic lens, I might just go for the T.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 11:00 PM   #6

double post/forum glitch sorry
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:04 AM   #7

ibex-

Here again we see the feature of personalization. The camera has to feel good in hand. The controls must we easily reached, the photo style of the camera has to match your photo style. Therefore, a trip to the camera shop to handle these cameras is vitally essential.

Attempt to purchase the camera on a "trial basis with exchange priviledges." Until you have used the camera for a spell, perhaps you won't really know if the camera is perfect for you.

For me, I prefer the Sony W-series cameras to the T-series cameras. The important thing is that you get what you want.

Sarah
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:06 PM   #8

Hello Ibex

if your wanting a good indoor peformer then a wide lense is a must in my opinion .

have you looked at the Ricoh R6

it also has a wide lense ,2.7 inch lcd , face detection , good zoom. and IQ is good . v low shutter lag

Ricoh dont get as much advertising as canon and others but they use nice glass and have nice features

just do a google on ricoh

regards
matt

ozematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:57 PM   #9

ibex-

Here is a sample photo from the Sony W-55. It was taken indoors, handheld, no flash, and at ISO 400.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:49 AM   #10

Thank you!

Was that taken during the day? It's pretty good, but somewhat noisy. Still, no flash, so that's nice...
I appreciate you posting a picture - It's good to know what I'm buying.