Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 10, 2007, 2:12 PM   #11

Vanessa-

Almost every single person who has ever used the Canon S-2IS and S-3IS have nothing but much, much praisefor their greatvideo capabilities. Without a doubt, IMHO you will not find better cameras than either the Canon S-2IS or the S-3IS. These Canon models can be purchased for LESS than $(US) 300.00.

Yes, the G-7 is a very capable and very excellent camera. However, it does not have all of the capabilities requested in your original post, and it is overpriced.

Here is a Canon S-2IS sample photo taken indoors, handheld, without flash. ItIMHOis every bit as good as what the G-7 can produce.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:57 AM   #12

No offence but also strikes me why are you even considering another P&S any more?

Might be time to move on to even low end SLR???? Sort of seems so.

And since you have no dedicated lenses just because you have had Canon P&S consider other than Canon in that descision?

Does seem its time to move on though not just bigger MP replicate.

$700 would easily get you a Pentax K-100D with kit lense and likely the 50-200mmm as well.

Look at your horizons not limitations.
Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:23 AM   #13

I can't think of a DSLR that does video, which was #2 on vanessa's list.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 5:26 AM   #14

(I only pressed Send once! Honest!)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:49 AM   #15

I agree with Tom-

You have to clearly look at somone's priorities when recommending a camera and while the consumer level DSLR cameras are quite able, they are in the long term rather costly, and they do not accomplish every task. Certainly not all of Vanessa's priorities.

Please corect me, Vanessa, won't you please, if I am in error, but as I readyour priorities, they pretty much point to an IS equipped ultrazoom camera,not a DSLR camera. Thus our search here, seems to seekthe perfect ultrazoom, rather than anything else.

The Canon S-2, S-3, and S-5 seem to come very close. Certainly the Sony H-2 and H-5 could also be contenders. The Panasonic FZ-7 and FZ-8 are possibilities,and theydo excel wonderfully out of doors, but they are troubled with visible noise when used indoors in low light environments.

Perhaps, since camera size is also a large priority that Vanessa has mentioned that we ought to add the Fuji S-700 to the list as well. It is a good deal smaller in size, but it does not have IS. So that is thepotential field thus far.Can anyone think of any other camera that should be added to the list?

Please tell us a bit more, Vanessa, especially since we have created a potential camera list. Your comments, could at this point be very valuable.

Sarah
Old Jun 12, 2007, 2:30 PM   #16

BTW, Vanessa-

The Fuji S-700 arrived this morning, and I want to post the first picture from this rather amazing camera. The S-700 is indeed smaller than the Canon S-3IS and the Sony H-5. So that is pleasing as well.

This photo was taken at the camera's full default settings just as it came out of the box. So that is Programed Auto, and Auto Flash. The flash is called I-Flash by Fuji. That means that the S-700 attempts to balance the existing light and the flash output. The result is quite sharp and very pleasing. And yes, the I-Flash did indeed work rather nicely. Notice that there is no harsh shadow behind my husband's head.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 13, 2007, 11:08 PM   #17

I don't think I need a DSLR and want to stick to a P&S... however, a more advanced P&S that I have room to grow with and play around with and with more features than my SD200. Also the fact that DSLRs don't have video-mode is a drawback from that.

Today I went to Black's Photography, a camera store in Vancouver, Canada and got to hold for the first time the S3 and G7. Coming into that store I was thinking the S3 or S5 is what I should be pushing towards.. but I have to admit that I am having doubts now with the size of the camera. The G7 not only impressed me with its size and weight (b/c no batteries like S3), but also because the location of the dials and buttons were similar to my Canon SD200... so familarity wise I can see myself being comfortable with it. I also like the fact that the ISO dials are easily accessible which means I will use them more and experiment more with my photos.

Video wise I keep hearing that the S3 and S5 are better quality with that and having equipped stereo sound then the G7... whereas I hear mixed reviews with the image quality with some saying that the lens of the G7 are better quality and take better photos. Yes, good optimal zoom is important to me. Again, I'm looking for a camera I can grow with and having a camera with 6x to 15x zoom is something I know will be of value.

I am open to looking at other brand cameras than Canon that would fit my requirements. I don't really know much about how reliable other camera brands are besides Nikon and Canon. The size of the G7 is quite livable to me... I don't think I can go with anything more bulky than the G7.

Vanessa
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote