Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2007, 12:08 AM   #1

I currently own a Canon SD200 which is my baby and I have travelled the last 2 yrs with... I want to start keeping my options open in search of a new camera to start playing around with. I'd love to get to know a new camera that I could fool around with and experiment with different settings. In the past I mostly used my SD200 in Auto mode. One of the main reasons I was thinking of investing in a new camera is because I love travelling... and if theirs a better camera then I have out there.. well, I don't want to miss out on taking good pics.

This is what I am looking for:
- 1) At least 5 mega-pixels
- 2) Good quality movie-mode capabilities
- 3) Decent optimal zoom... at least 4x
- 4) Image stabilizer
- 5) Uses SD cards
- 6) 2.5 LCD screen size
- 7) Excellent photo and lensquality
-8) Price range - $350 to $700
- 9) Takes good night time shots
- 10) Reliable pics in Auto mode

Extra Plus':
- 1) Can use optimal zoom while in movie-mode
- 2) Not too bulky
- 3) Ease of use

I have started looking at some options but I don't want to give them away yet on this post as I am open to hearing all of your suggestions and want to keep an open mind.

Vanessa
vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2

A couple of cameras that tick most of your boxes are the Canon A570is and A710is. The A570 is newer and used Digic III with face detection. OTOH, the A710 has a 6X zoom. Neither has great flash performance and flash recycle time is somewhat slow on both cameras (710 seems a bit worse in that regards). Both have full manual plus shutter preferred and aperature preferred modes. Neither has a state of the art LCD. Both are diminutive and pocketable. I'm not sure that either is truly great at night shots. Both can be had for well under $300. There's a Panasonic (don't recall the model name off hand) that is fairly compact and has a 10X optical zoom that starts at 28mm. It has a large 3" LCD, no optical viewfinder and it doesn't offer manual controls. But the 10X lens would be great all around for a travel camera. Reviews would suggest that the processor is not as clean as some other cameras. Another camera I'd look at is the Fuji F30 or F31d. Not a lot of bells and whistles but it does offer manual controls and has the best low light (high ISO) performance of any small digital camera of which I'm aware. If you're willing to deal with something bigger you might look at the Canon G7 or S5.
SkiHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:57 PM   #3

skihound-

The Panasonic camera you were referring to is the TZ-3. It does very well indeed outdoors and does improve on the usually poor Panasonic performance at higher (over 200 ISO) settings.

It is basically a point and shoot, very compact and pocketable digicam that it a lot of fun to work with and to use, but the only adjustable features, other than Scene Modes, are ISO, custom WB and a way to adjust theWB slightly by biasing it in either the red or blue directions. www.dcresource.com has a review of the TZ-3.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:30 PM   #4

I'm currently considering the G7 or new S5 IS... what are your guys thoughts on those cameras and how they fit my "wish list"?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 1:39 PM   #5

Well, according to the "pro" reviews, the G7 seems to be an excellent camera.

The S5IS has just come to market, so reviews yet that I have seen.

The Fuji F30/31 is a fine camera, but not so good in Auto mode compared with others.

Vanessa, what size camera are you looking for, ideally?
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 2:11 PM   #6

Well coming from owning a SD200... I do find that size quite useful and compact.. Prior to owning the SD200 I purchased a Canon A75I remember... but then returned it because I found the bulky size unpractical at the time and went for the SD200 instead... I guess another option for a camera to consider is the new Canon SD850 IS.

However,I do want to experiment taking more photos and I always have that feeling you know... not wanting to miss out on taking a great travel photo because of the quality of the camera. I'm willing to compromise on the size of the camera and go with something more bigger like the G7 and S5 because when it comes down to it... I'd rather be able to take FANTASTIC photos and videosthen to have a camera that's just small and stylish.

Old Jun 9, 2007, 4:05 PM   #7

vanessa-

Certainly, I can relate to your feelings about size and keeping the size of one's camera bag small. The Canon S-3 makes sense, if you like Canon. In the ultra zoom category, I prefer the Sony H-5 and the Fuji S-6000. But again, it all depends on one's shoot style.

Sarah
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:11 PM   #8

Since the advent of the canon s5, the s3 can be had for less than $300from most reputable dealers online (such as B&H Camera). I consider it an outstanding deal for the money. 6mp's in a compact, well built body with features such as built inimage stabilization, a great zoom range (36-432 equivalent), and pretty good macro function.

I've used mine for quite some time now and have been very satisfied with quality. So far I've only enlarged to 11x14, but sharpness and detail is exceptional. Hope this helps. attached is one of my closeups.
Attached Images

naturepics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 9:59 PM   #9

naturepics-

That is a great photo sample. The highly rated Canon S-3 would certainly seem to meet vanessa's requirements rather nicely. I also like compact ultrazooms.

Sarah
Old Jun 10, 2007, 2:43 AM   #10

How does the G7 compare with the S3 and S5?... in image quality? video quality?

These are the prices currently in Canadian dollars for these cameras at Future Shop/Best Buy:

S3 IS - $349.99
S5 IS - $549.99
G7 - $699.99