Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2007, 3:39 PM   #21

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
... I like the idea of the 410's stabilization...
Actually, the E-410 doesn't have image stabilization. Only the E-510 has it.

(I hate being the first post on a new page.)

Edit: Correction: While the E-510 has Sensor Shift Image Stabilization, the E-410 has Digital Image Stabilization. It's not a good a method of IS, but the E-410 does have image stabilization.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:00 PM   #22

meanstreak-

I realize that "size" is sort of a relative term. However, I was thinking about your post, I realized that the Olympus E-410 is just about the same size as the Nikon D-40. So I set-up a photo for you.

Here is a photo of the D-40 with the 18-55mm kit lens placed next to the new Fiji S-700 ultrazoom. The S-700 is still a whole lot smaller. Since i already own the D-40 and the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens, I am going to pass on the E-410.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 4:41 PM   #23

Actually, while the height and width of the Nikon D40 and the Olympus E-410 are about the same, the depth of the D40 is 2.5 inches while the depth of the E-410 is only 2.1 inches (something that is permitted by the Oly's smaller image sensor and the 4/3 lenses.)

But more important, the body of the D40 weighs 17 ounces while the E-410 weighs only 13.2.

And moreimportant still is that, for the sameangle of view, the lenses for the E-410 are smaller and lighter than those of the D40.

So using the D40 as an example of how much bigger the E-410 is than the S700 isn't exactly fair.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:52 AM   #24

TCav wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I went back and checked the website. It has digital stabilization, which if similar in design to the digital stabilization used in some camcorders doesn't work very well. Digital stabilization does stabilize the image but a a tremendous loss in resolution. When I was originally reviewing the different models on the Oly site, I was just looking at the feature icons and didn't notice the differencebetween the stabilization for the 510 and 410. Interestingly in the more detailed feature section they don't talk much about the digital stabilization. Very deceptive on their part just like Fuji with the "Picture Stabilization" mode.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:22 AM   #25

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak-

I realize that "size" is sort of a relative term. However, I was thinking about your post, I realized that the Olympus E-410 is just about the same size as the Nikon D-40. So I set-up a photo for you.

Here is a photo of the D-40 with the 18-55mm kit lens placed next to the new Fiji S-700 ultrazoom. The S-700 is still a whole lot smaller. Since i already own the D-40 and the Nikkor 18-200mmVR lens, I am going to pass on the E-410.

Sarah Joyce
You are obviously correct and you do know your cameras, but I think an advantage to the4/3 system in terms of compactnessisthat you canuse smaller lenses because of the 2X crop to achieve the same field of view as you wouldon a 1.5X crop sensor. So as a body and lens combination, the 4/3 system does have a size advantage.Of course, like I said earlier,I am not really a fan of the 4/3 format. I believe that starting out with a smaller sensor is much like starting out with a smaller negative. The more you crop or enlarge a photo, the more resolution you lose. Some might argue that if both sensors are the same number of Mega pixels, it shouldn't make a difference. In the case of digital sensors, howeverthere is also the fact that for "X" number of mega pixels the larger sensors have larger pixels and are therefore do a better job in low light with less noise.

As for theD40 series, itis compact but I still have trouble with the ideaof having to use special lenses.

I'm really not in the market for anythingother than what I have just yet so much of what I am saying is irrelevant since when I do get the urge to possibly invest in a second system there will be other options.

Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:43 AM   #26

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
I went back and checked the website. It has digital stabilization, which if similar in design to the digital stabilization used in some camcorders doesn't work very well. Digital stabilization does stabilize the image but a a tremendous loss in resolution. When I was originally reviewing the different models on the Oly site, I was just looking at the feature icons and didn't notice the differencebetween the stabilization for the 510 and 410. Interestingly in the more detailed feature section they don't talk much about the digital stabilization. Very deceptive on their part just like Fuji with the "Picture Stabilization" mode.
Yes. You're right. Sorry.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:57 PM   #27

TCav wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
TCav wrote:
Quote:
meanstreak wrote:
Quote:
Yes. You're right. Sorry.
No need to apologize.... digital stabilization is not what I had in mindwhen I mentioned that the E410 had image stabilzation. I was thinking it had something built around sensor shift technology. I would never use Digital Stabilization if it works like I think it does but who knows what they really mean by the term. I knowhow it works when the term is applied to camcorders but it may be different. The Fuji "Picture Stabilization"feature basically boosts the ISO, which does help, but that can simply be done manually.

That being said, I still feel the E410 is a nice alternative to a superzoom if we ignore price comparisons. Alot of potential superzoom users who are avoiding a DSLR becauseDSLRS normally don't have the option of live preview should take a close look at this camera but price may be a detterent especially if they factor in addtional lenses. The E330 is a also great alternative to a superzoom for those willing to give up the 10MP sensor of the E410.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 6:34 AM   #28

Hello from Latvia!

I just wanted to say that my dillema is resolved. I couldn't get oly E-330.. they are sold out very quickly because the new E-410 and E-510 are in sale..

So I have just ordered panasonic lumix FZ50.. I'll get it tomorrow.

I feel a bit sorry not joinig dSLR world alreay.. but maybe it's better considering my lifestile..

See you next week when back to Milano..

Regards,

Irena
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:44 AM   #29

Hi to all my friends!

I am back from Latvia to Milano! And my new camera is Panasonic Lumix FZ50.. It is a fantastic camera! I love it already! I returned just y/day and I have so many things to do.. I ll post some pics as soon as I ll upload them to Flickr..

The only bad thing is :S - now I really need to upgrade my PC.. image size available is too much fom my old puter..

Have a great day!

Irena
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:56 AM   #30

DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:

The only bad thing is :S - now I really need to upgrade my PC.. image size available is too much fom my old puter..

Have a great day!

Irena
Isn't it funny how things like that work out! I'm stuck with Photoshop CS2 until I get me a new machine with a faster processor, more RAM and a bigger hard drive...not that I keep any images on the computer's hard drive, but my iTune downloads are quickly filling it up...

Congratulations on your FZ50. My Olympus E300 outfit is in semi-permanent retirement these days because of my FZ50, but the Olympus FL50 flash I own is seeing a lot of duty since it's a perfect match for the FZ50.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote