Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2007, 11:43 AM   #1

After a long research and consideration I am coming close to getting my new camera. A dilemma is - another compact digicam (FZ50 superzoom this time) or to join a dSLR world with Oly e-330 double kit.

I would love to hear from you, guys, if any considerations are coming up. In Olympus dSLR forum I couldn't find any discussions.. at least in latest 20 pages..

Thank you in advance..

PS. Going out of town for a weekend.. Will be back on Monday..
DigitalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:04 PM   #2

I too had hope Olympus Sp550 would be good as I was looking to move from Panasonic DMCz7(good camera).

Will now be waiting for Tests on Canon S5

Been down the 'old' SLR route some years ago but not keen to go to DSLR- too tempting to always be 'adding' then you have to carry around all the kit = not used much !! at least a good 'bridge' camera fantastic zoom & easy to carry.

If U do try the canon S5 please let me know/see results- Good luck
GJH0702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:12 PM   #3

I'd go with the Oly hands down. The price will likely drop pretty soon (if it hasn't already) due to the imminent release of the E510.
Pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:42 PM   #4

Yes, many folks (such as long time DSLR users) would view a DSLR camera kit as a "continuing investment plan." And I would include myself in that category. So, i feel that GJH, does indeed make a rather important point.

Bridge cameras such as the Panasonic FZ-7, or FZ-8, the Canon S2IS or the Canon S-3IS, or the Canon S-5IS, the Sony H-2 and H-5, or even the Fuji S-6000/S-6500 offer a lot of quality and capability for their prices. A bridge camera is a one time investment, as oppossed to the DSLR cameras, due primarily their interchangeable lenses becoming in a lot of instances "a continuing investment."

It is surely food for thought. I will be most interested to hear other posts on this topic.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:51 PM   #5

Pickwick-

I assume that your are referring to the E-330 that DigitalGal mentioned. Is that because of the "live view" capability of the E-330 or would you be just as enthusiastic about the E-500 or E-300?

But then perhaps you were referring to the Olympus SP-550. Please clarify, can you?

Thanks! Here is another E-300 photo sample.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:11 AM   #6

Hi to all that have read my message and had something to say.

I can agree that dSLR requires a continuous investment plan.. and I am not ready for that at all.. I was considering another compact - FZ50.. but i Oly E300 just came into my way without any consideration.. it's all about a price! This weekend I am leaving for Latvia with my kids and I really hope to return in 2 weeks with my new camera and even first pics, if I am lucky to figure out how it works. I have no experience in dSLR.

Why in Latvia to buy it? I can explain.. You know the prices in USD.. so in Latvia they are calculated from USD to LVL (Latvian lats that are about the same strength as a British Pound) and the figure is according to the currency exchange rate. But in Italy is this way.. they are just changing USD to EUR and the figure remains the same. And I just cannot pay that much for the thing that doesn't cost that much.

In the end I can almost say that FZ50 is not an issue anymore.. should be e330.

Enjoy the summertime!

Irena
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:37 AM   #7

You will love the 40-150 f3.5-4.5 that is the second lens in the kit. Really, both lenses are decent and you can upgrade when YOU want to.

One of the very first pics I took with the 40-150:

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:37 AM   #8

What a lovely photo.. this is your dog, right? How long do you own your Oly e330.. do you still use it? And wat was the 1st update you got for it?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 7:57 PM   #9

DigitalGal wrote:
Quote:
What a lovely photo.. this is your dog, right? How long do you own your Oly e330.. do you still use it? And wat was the 1st update you got for it?
Same lens, different camera.

I have the E500. The E330 would certainly be a step up.

The dog is my boy Rum. I have two others.

This is Rev:

And this is Dox:

All were taken during my first day with the camera and all were from the 40-150 lens.

My e500 is now 6 months old and it was my first DSLR. I'm really enjoying it.

My first upgrade was the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 because I enjoy wildlife photography. I also do alot of dog sport (hunting type stuff) and the long lenses dominate my photography.

A couple more 40-150 kit photos to illustrate:

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 8:19 PM   #10

fldspringer-

I use both the Olympus E-300 and the E-500 and think that they are great cameras. Attached is an E-300 photo of my husband.

Sarah
Attached Images