Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:50 PM   #1

Hi, I'd like to replace my old Canon A75 with the S3-IS. I've had my eye on it for a while and it's on sale right now. My requirements are:

10x Optical zoom, Image stabilization, Reasonably priced, Compact if possible

The S3-IS meets 3/4 points. I know Panasonic makes some nice compact super-zooms, but I've read their image quality doesn't match the Canons. The Sonys are good but just as bulky. Are there other options? I'd hate to buy this and then find a comparable one that's more compact.

ed777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2007, 2:06 PM   #2

ed777-

The Canon S-3IS is capable of IQ that is quite good. The alternatives with IS are the Sony H-2, the Sony H-5, the Panasonic FZ-7 and FZ-8, the Kodak Z-612 (it got a really excellent review from Steve), the Kodak Z-712.

Based on your post, my guess it that the Panasonic FZ-30 and FZ-50 would be a bit too large for your requirements.

Here is a photo sample taken with the Panasonic FZ-7. This photo was taken handheld and without flash, making use of the IS on the FZ-7.

Sarah
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 7:12 PM   #3

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was thinking about the Pansonic TZ series, which are very compact yet have IS and 10x zoom. I'm not aware of any other big brands that have such a compact version of a superzoom combined with IS. Do you have any opinion on the TZ1,2 or 3?

ed777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2007, 8:55 PM   #4

Ed-

In the USA we have only seen the TZ-1 and TZ-3. Both are basically automatic cameras with WB and IS being about the only adjustable functions. The IQ rates very good, although the TZ-1and the TZ-3 to a lesser degree suffer from the typical Panasonic noise problems, typically over an ISO 200 setting. In an outdoor environment, both the TZ-1 and the TZ-3 do ratherwell. The TZ-1 is 38 to 380mm, while the TZ-3 is 28 to 280mm. Here is a typical outdoor TZ-1 photo. I don't own the TZ-3.

IMO, in the case of the Panasonic TZ-3, yes, you are getting that nice 28mm (in 35mm terms) wide angle. However, you are giving up a lot to get it, though. With the Canon S-3 and the Fuji S-6000fd hovering right at the $(US) 300.00 mark, and not being a great deal larger than the TZ-3, if it were me, I would opt for the slightly greater size, and much more control and capability of an ultrazoom.

If you want to save some money and don't have to have any real Low light Environment/High ISO capability beyond ISO 800, the even smaller Fuji S-700, at less than $(US) 200.00 is worth a look.

Sarah

Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote