Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:03 AM   #1

I am on the market for a new camera, at the moment I am usingthe SONY DSC-W50 although I am happy with the picture qualitythatI am getting with it I think its lacking in scene modes.I am looking to buy either the FUJI FINEPIX F30 or the NIKON COOLPIX S500,I have read a lot of good things about theFUJI but I like the look of the NIKON as well.

I know a lot depends on the type of picture you like to take when buying a new camera,I like to take beach,portrait and evening shots.

Does anyone have any experience of the mentioned cameras and which do you think I should buy.

Thanks in advance.
tofog68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:24 AM   #2

tofog-

When you mention among your priorities, "evening shots" I begin to conjure up a definitely low light level environment. That makes the case very positive for the Fuji F-30. The Nikon S-500 does not do well in that kind of lighting environment.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2007, 9:38 AM   #3

tofog68 wrote:
Quote:
I am on the market for a new camera, at the moment I am usingthe SONY DSC-W50 although I am happy with the picture qualitythatI am getting with it I think its lacking in scene modes.I am looking to buy either the FUJI FINEPIX F30 or the NIKON COOLPIX S500,I have read a lot of good things about theFUJI but I like the look of the NIKON as well.

I know a lot depends on the type of picture you like to take when buying a new camera,I like to take beach,portrait and evening shots.

Does anyone have any experience of the mentioned cameras and which do you think I should buy.

Thanks in advance.
You might consider the F31.... it's the a newer, but not much added in terms of features.B&H in the US has it for 239.00. There is aslo a 30 dollar rebate. Assuming you can find an F30, the only reason to buy would be if it were much cheaper. TheFuji's are one of the better low light cameras. I have the F30 and am very pleased with it's performance.

I recall looking at Nikon coolpix models when I was looking at compacts and I ruled them out immediatly because there were some shortcomings in features compared to the rest of the competition. Nikon seems to excel in their DSLR equipment as opposed to the point and shoot market. Not saying it's a bad product, but I think there are better choicesout in terms of features sets and low light performance.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 6:47 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice,But just one other thing,How does the FUJI F30 perform in sunny and cloudy conditions.

tofog68

Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:27 AM   #5

Tofog-

Actually those high ISO capable cameras do quite well on the proverbial sunshine filled afternoon. Here is a sample photo from the Fuji S-6000, which is a larger version of the F-30 chip and processing engine coupled with the lens from the F-9XXX cameras. Therefore it is most indicitive of what the F-30 or F-31 photos would look like.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2007, 3:39 PM   #6

Sarah

What a beautiful picture,All the colours look very natural. If thats a sample of how good Fuji cameras can be then I think I have to go for the Fuji.

Just before I make a definate decision do you have a few more photos that you could post,I would be very grateful if you could.

tofog68.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:42 PM   #7

Tofog-

I have been working with the new Fuji S-700, so I will include an outdoor photo from that camera as well. The S-700 (its name here in the USA) is known as the Fuji S-5700 overseas.

It is a very impressive camera: 7mp, 10X optical zoom, uses SD Chips for the first time in a Fuji camera, the lens is amazingly sharp, a great Macro and Super Macro mode, an excellent video mode, and Fuji's Intelligent Flash system that reads the ambient light and then only applies sufficient flash to take the photo. And it sells in the USA for just around $(US) 200.00!

Here is a test photo that I took this afternoon at the full 10X optical zoom. I was naturally delighted with the sharpness and detail in this photo take at the full zoom. The photos out of the camera only need resizing to post them which is also pretty amazing.

Sarah
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2007, 10:56 PM   #8

Hi Tofog, here's a couple more shots from the S6000fd. Like Sarah, I am a big fan of this camera!

Outdoor, fully extended zoom:
flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:07 PM   #9

And here's an indoor, ISO 400 shot w/flash (the room was darker than it appears in this photo):

flippedgazelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:18 PM   #10

Those are excellent photos, Flipped-

Thanks for lending a hand. I have been busy most of the day with the Fuji S-700/S-5700.

Sarah